Early morning debarkation after overnight in Venice allowed?

psujmatt

Just booked a last minute cruise on the Silhouette that ends with an overnight in Venice and given the last minute rush, only flight we could get was a 6:50am departure on debarkation day. Celebrity now says they recommend nothing before 10:30am. Recently on Princess cruise that ended with overnight in Venice, they seemed to allow self-debarkation (carry own suitcases) at any time.

Any experience with how Celebrity will really handle this in practice? Worst case it sounds like they will allow us to debark on the first day in Venice, but then we lose part of the ship experience and have to pay for a night in a hotel. However, we have to commit to this at least a week before the cruise departs. So now we have to decide whether to roll the dice on making our flight without leaving the ship a night early.

Thank you.

--Jason

Note: I admit posting a similar question in the cruise's roll call in case someone had a similar situation there.

I can't comment on Celeb's practice for this, but I have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn which is conveniently next to the airport. With such an early flight you might prefer to stay at the hotel instead of arranging for transportation so early.

They have free transfer to and from the airport. Have a wonderful trip!

I asked this question of my Travel Agent, who contact Celebrity while I was on hold. The only flight out for us the day of departure was either 655 AM or 7PM. I wanted to know if I could buy the trip to airport from Celebrity for the 655AM flight, and if not, how soon would they allow me off the ship. Answer: No, Celebrity's trip to airport is not available for flights before 10AM. However, you can disembark the ship any time with your own luggage, but you have to call celebrity and set this up ahead of time. Bottom line: I booked a hotel room for Fri nite, in other words, we are staying an extra day.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd update the board on how this worked out.

First, I was told on the phone that I could debark at any time in Venice, and I just had to inform guest relations on the ship.

Second, once on-board, I told them we wanted to debark at 4:00am on debarkation day (during the overnight). They told me that the earliest we could debark was 4:30am self-carrying luggage. Apparently the port is closed until 4:30am. Rather than try to make the bus we were planning on, we reserved a car to the airport at 4:30am. Given this, there were no problems with the 4:30am time. They even had coffee and danish set up in the Passport Bar those of us debarking early. They opened the gangway at almost exactly 4:30am.

One thing I don't quite understand is that they at no point announced any kind of "curfew" for people coming and going from the ship in Venice. I wonder if anyone got stranded off the ship at whatever time the port closed for the night! I hope not.

Just booked a last minute cruise on the Silhouette that ends with an overnight in Venice and given the last minute rush, only flight we could get was a 6:50am departure on debarkation day. Celebrity now says they recommend nothing before 10:30am. Recently on Princess cruise that ended with overnight in Venice, they seemed to allow self-debarkation (carry own suitcases) at any time.

Any experience with how Celebrity will really handle this in practice? Worst case it sounds like they will allow us to debark on the first day in Venice, but then we lose part of the ship experience and have to pay for a night in a hotel. However, we have to commit to this at least a week before the cruise departs. So now we have to decide whether to roll the dice on making our flight without leaving the ship a night early.

Thank you.

--Jason

One thing I don't quite understand is that they at no point announced any kind of "curfew" for people coming and going from the ship in Venice. I wonder if anyone got stranded off the ship at whatever time the port closed for the night! I hope not.

Interesting point. I'd never even think that there would be a curfew, but I guess youre right, if the port isn't open 24/7 then there must be something??? Interesting.

psujmatt:

Thanks for taking the time to come back and update your thread with your actual experience. It is really helpful to others who might find themselves in this same situation. :)

Archived