Norway Independent Cruise Excursions

Tink1987

Hi All,

We are on the Azura on the 2nd June cruising to the Fjords. Our itinerary is below:

Southampton

Stavanger

Flaam

Olden

Bergen

Southampton

We have been looking at the ships own excursions and there is quite a few we want to do but they are coming to a total of more then we have actually paid for the cruise because we got such a great deal!

I have already been advised not to bother with any excursions in Stavanger as the ship berths right in the centre of the town and you can see it from anywhere in the town so it's better to just explore on your own.

So is there any reputable companies out there that I can book excursions with before the cruise? I really don't fancy just getting off the ship and hoping to find a decent tour guide there etc but I am not sure on who to book with pre-departure?

Thanks very much all :)

Hi All,

We are on the Azura on the 2nd June cruising to the Fjords. Our itinerary is below:

Southampton

Stavanger

Flaam

Olden

Bergen

Southampton

We have been looking at the ships own excursions and there is quite a few we want to do but they are coming to a total of more then we have actually paid for the cruise because we got such a great deal!

I have already been advised not to bother with any excursions in Stavanger as the ship berths right in the centre of the town and you can see it from anywhere in the town so it's better to just explore on your own.

So is there any reputable companies out there that I can book excursions with before the cruise? I really don't fancy just getting off the ship and hoping to find a decent tour guide there etc but I am not sure on who to book with pre-departure?

Thanks very much all :)

Hi

I know you are looking for excursions but here's a couple of easy DIY suggestions for you:

In Stavanger we have visited the Petroleum Museum (which is more interesting than it sounds!), the Cafe Francais is nice for lunch though expensive and we have also walked round the lake and old town which is near where the ship docks. If we went again we would take a tour to Pulpit Rock but independently as there is a company offering trips (from memory much cheaper than P&O) just on the other side of the harbour.

In Bergen the town is a shortish walk from the harbour. The fish market is fascinating and you can catch local tour buses in the centre. A trip up the funiculor is highly recommended, 2 years ago we took this one way then followed one of the forest trails from the top back down to the city.

We also went to Briksdal glacier in Olden with P&O and it was one of the best excursions ever (which is saying something as we often are a bit sceptical about some of the excursions we have had with P&O).

Have a great cruise.

Damian

Definately do the Flam railway, but unfortunately if you try and arrange it yourselves you may find you cannot get on the train as it will already be full.

Bergen you can do on your own, the funicular is very close to the fish market and old area.

Whatever you do in Norway it is really really expensive. It would cost you as much if not more to do anything with a taxi or private tour company.

I would also recommend a tour that takes you inland as the countryside inland is even more beautiful than the fjords in my opinion.

Stavenger is ok but I have to say that I preferred going round the old town with its pretty white houses and it was free! You can walk there from where the ship docks.

Take bottled water with you when you go ashore. Anything to eat or drink will cost you heaps.

Norway is the most beautiful country, my favourite by far, but it is certainly not a cheap option.

Have a look on the cc port forum as there is plenty of advice there.

Definately do the Flam railway, but unfortunately if you try and arrange it yourselves you may find you cannot get on the train as it will already be full.

Looking at the OP's itinerary, they are in Stavanger the day before Flam. Tickets for the railway can be bought at Stavanger Station, which is in the centre of town.

Mary

Thanks very much all, you have given me a few things to think about there!

Don't mind doing DIY at all, but more panicking about getting tickets for the Flaam railway etc, especially if other cruise ships are going to be in the same port on the same day.

As said in my original post, I am probably just panicking too much as it is our first cruise and we have no idea on what to expect at all.

Thanks very much all, you have given me a few things to think about there!

Don't mind doing DIY at all, but more panicking about getting tickets for the Flaam railway etc, especially if other cruise ships are going to be in the same port on the same day.

As said in my original post, I am probably just panicking too much as it is our first cruise and we have no idea on what to expect at all.

According to the link below, there's only one other ship in port with you.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingflamnorway-05jun2012.html

Thanks very much both.

So it looks like we might do DIY in a couple of ports and buy a couple of excursions in the others.

Thanks again all! :)

How many Flaam tickets do you need? We booked for 10 (we are two families of 4), and we had found another couple to take the other two, but they are no longer travelling in this cruise. We are going on a train around 12.30 and returning back in Flaam around 3.30pm. Let me know if you want more info or are interested in taking the tickets (we don't need to pay for tickets until we collect them - from memory around £38 return)

How many Flaam tickets do you need? We booked for 10 (we are two families of 4), and we had found another couple to take the other two, but they are no longer travelling in this cruise. We are going on a train around 12.30 and returning back in Flaam around 3.30pm. Let me know if you want more info or are interested in taking the tickets (we don't need to pay for tickets until we collect them - from memory around £38 return)

Hi!

I would love some more info please? I believe it is £38 each...but if you could just confirm that would be great!

Thanks so much! :D

Hi!

I would love some more info please? I believe it is £38 each...but if you could just confirm that would be great!

Thanks so much! :D

We have booked the 12:20 train there and the 14:43 on the way back (gets back at 15:40). We have understood the adult price for group bookings to be 324 Kroner return. We have asked for two family tickets (for 2 adults and 2 children) and just reserved another two adults tickets so we could reach the magic number to make a group booking! If you do want to take them just drop me a private message (I think you can do that on this site...) and we an arrange to do introductions onboard and/or let you have our contact details. There is someone on the p&o community site organising a get together for the first sea day.

Hello Tink1987, we are the other family on the Flamm trip. Looks like you are Disney fans! We used to be annual passholders at DLRP and would love to go again soon. Nothing beats the Pink Palace, except possibly cruising!

Hi cclarke and britchic,

I am not signed up on the p&o community site so will do that now! Will PM you now cclarke if I can work out how ;)

We are massive Disney fans ;-) Cannot get enough of the parks and to be honest if we wasn't saving for a house we would probably be going to Florida instead of doing a cruise!

Looking forward to meeting you both :)

Hi cclarke and britchic,

I am not signed up on the p&o community site so will do that now! Will PM you now cclarke if I can work out how ;)

We are massive Disney fans ;-) Cannot get enough of the parks and to be honest if we wasn't saving for a house we would probably be going to Florida instead of doing a cruise!

Looking forward to meeting you both :)

Yes, not sure if you can PM on this site or not. You should be able to find me on P&O site though and add me as a friend (I think my user name is the same). Someone has set up a group for this cruise - if you search under groups for A212 it should come up.

Yes, not sure if you can PM on this site or not. You should be able to find me on P&O site though and add me as a friend (I think my user name is the same). Someone has set up a group for this cruise - if you search under groups for A212 it should come up.

I can't PM you :-( I am now on the P&O community and have posted on the wall. Can I PM you on there?

Archived