Istanbul Live

I hope someone is reading this review and taking some useful things from it.

I'm sure many are reading your posts. I am certainly enjoying them. Thank you!

And a question - will you post some info about your organized tours? Was it Grey Line or something similar? I'm sure you booked it at your hotel desk. That would be helpful to people staying at hotels and an alternative to prebooking guides or tours.

I'm sure many are reading your posts. I am certainly enjoying them. Thank you!

And a question - will you post some info about your organized tours? Was it Grey Line or something similar? I'm sure you booked it at your hotel desk. That would be helpful to people staying at hotels and an alternative to prebooking guides or tours.

Thanks for letting me know :) I know DH told me last night he enjoyed reading it once I linked him, as it's giving him a better day by day what Istanbul was really like then I was giving him, lol!

I wasn't sure if it was okay for me to mention the names, I will be more then glad to go ahead and post. The only one I did so far was yeterday (it's 7am on Day #8 right now) and of course, I'll have today's tour (providing everything goes as planned, as i never got an confirmation email I am hoping they will be able to email it, I first emailed them around 6pm yesterday but they were open till 7...). although you can find everything I found by google, I didn't book at the hotel desk anything. I will post the information in my post later today or in a new post.

I can't believe day eight is over....only 2 more full days to go!

For today, one of my classmates, his wife and daughter booked a full day Bosphorus & Black Sea cruise. When she showed me the information for it, I canceled the one I had booked and emailed to book with them. They never got back to me but it was no problem adding me on this morning.

They picked us up at the hotel and we were off. After collecting a few more people we boarded our boat.

Beylerbeyi Palace is part of this tour but they are closed on Sunday (and Monday and Thursday) so they replace it with Maidens Tower. As I didn't have any real preference this didn't bother me, and it turned into a good spot to take some pictures and have a hot cup of tea before totally waking up. We didn't stay long as there really isn't anything to do besides eat and take some pictures.

As we were leaving, we got to see the Regent's Seven Seas Voyager start to make her way into port. I got some pretty pictures of the ship, with my zoom lens I was able to see people on the balcony. Reminds me a lot of some of the smaller RCI ships from the outside.

Next up was a visit to Ortakoy, which I was looking forward to. Sadly, the mosque is under renivation the last six months and it might last up to the next year. We wandered around a small market they had set up and I brought myself something for breakfast (as I was wrong about what time we were getting picked up and didn't eat at the hotel) and let the 20 month old let off some steam at a playground near by. I wish we had the time to go further into Ortakoy and explore some more. Maybe next time :)

Next up was the reason why I changed my tour and they booked this, Rumeli Fortress. Most of the Bosphorus Cruises don't stop so you can go inside and explore. This one does. And it was worth it. Completely awesome. If your like me and scared to death of small ledges or heights (for me, it is a ledge issue) when you get inside, just keep walking straight up that path. Had I realized it wasn't narrow, I would have gone up a lot more then I did. Instead, I wound up going up a set of steps and hanging out right across from the restrooms. I got some awesome pictures but it took me awhile to get down, I was afraid I would fall. And then I found my path, but by then we only had about 20 minutes left. I still got some amazing pictures and enjoyed. There are no railings or guard rails at all because they want to keep it as close to the original as possible, so if you have any type of walking issues, it is hard. But otherwise, for me it's one of my favorite things I've done here.

After that we boarded the boat to find out there was a delay waiting on the people who were joining us for the half day cruise thanks to traffic. Had we known that, I could have explored the fortress some more. We wound up leaving about a half hour later then planned.

Next up was our last stop, Poyrazkoy in Asia. Climbing up to the top to see the views from the Black Sea is very steep and I know at least one of the elderly couples with us wasn't able to do it. I wish they warned you about it before you start. It was a struggle for me, but I made it. The views were totally worth it. You can also swim in the Black Sea over here.

They used to go to Anadolu Kavagi but they cut it out because they claim it takes to long. I rather have stopped there then Poyrazkoy to be honest. I wish I had the time to go up to Anadolu Kavagi also before I leave, but I don't see how that will happen.

Snacks, lunch, water, juice and soft drinks were included in the price of the tour, along with the pick up and drop off at the hotel. We had some problems with them dropping us off but it worked out in the end.

Great day with a lot seen and done, yet still relaxed. We were wiped when we got back. The baby slept almost all the way back also.

More insights on Turkey:

- Don't expect a diversity of foods. I would say about 90% of food is Turkish and then about 90% of what is left is fast food places. I never thought I would say this but the fact that someone found a Chinese restaurant has me happy, lol! I am used to being able to get at least something different every now and then. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't here for so long.

- Prices for tours are listed in Euro's. Make sure your aware of this when you book! You can ask them how much in Lira or USD and pay in Lira, some places will let you pay in USD.

I got asked to give information what tour companies I used and my thoughts. I figure this is allowed because I was asked about it.

For the Golden Horn yesterday, I used BosphorusCruise.com (http://www.bosphoruscruise.com/) and I was very happy with them. They got back to me really fast and answered all the questions I had and was able to steer me into the right type of cruise for me that let me see what I wanted, at a good price. If you get over 10 people on a tour, don't be afraid to ask if they can do better on the price. I would book with them again.

For today, we used Volare Tour (http://www.volaretour.com). I was a last minute addition so I didn't have any prior contact and my friend was it at a TA (Cankut DiNK [cankut@volaretour.com]) and booked through them and they were happy. They had no problems making a vegetarian meal (my friends wife and his child are vegetarian), in fact the pasta was better then the chicken that we were served (which I didn't like and wound up eating most of the baby's pasta, it was to spicy for her). They were great with the baby and didn't mind her running around the boat a bit and made sure she got to see where it was steered from and stuff.

We had two issues once on the boat:

The guy came to me on the way back telling me he under charged me and when I questioned him he wasn't happy about it and it showed in the way he answered me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't paying more then what my friends paid, but it made sense since the price I paid at the start was under what they did.

The brochure clearly states transfer from and to the hotel. Having the baby, this was a must for my friends, because they figured they would be wiped out by the end of the day. The guy asked us if we minded walking to the hotel from Taskim Square and wasn't happy when the answer was yes. Then he tried to let us off a place that we didn't know saying the hotel was right there and that buses and vans can't drive on the street the hotel was. Right, because the picked us up from there. We figured out where we were and walked it, but he was nasty and rude about it and it left a sour taste in all of our mouths.

I also felt like there was very little direction given or information given about any of the stops we made. We had the Rick Steven's guidebook with us so we were okay but that was disappointing. For what we paid, I kinda expected a bit more. I wouldn't not book with them, but I would see what else is out there before booking with them again.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the experience on both tours.

My plan today was to check out the last three places in the Old City that I wanted to check out (Underground Cistern, Topkapi Palace, Suleyman Mosque). However getting up today I just am not feeling it.

Instead, I think I will head over to the market in Kadikoy, come back and do the Underground Cistern (this has been high on my list since I first read about it) and then do the Miniaturk maybe. Or Suleyman Mosque, depending how I'm feeling later.

I want to see Topkapi Palace but right now I don't want to handle the long lines that are going to be there, esp with Hagia Sofya closed today. Maybe I will try to get in a quick visit there early Wed morning before we leave (I would have to make sure I am down there before they open though).

I was also invited to head out to the Prince Islands today. It was on my list of things to see and do but after talking to some locals and more research it seems like there isn't much to do until busy season, which we aren't quite in just yet. That, combined with the fact it's a full day trip, has made me decide to not go. Anyone who has been there, was this a mistake?

Will be back to update later!

will be in Istanbul for 1.5 days mid May on RCCL cruise. Have heard that Istanbul has some nice leather products and tripadvisor recommends a store "Prens" . Can someone ballpark prices for a womans leather jacket and comment on the quality available? Other suggestions as to gifts for family & friends? I also hear opf people buying carpets, how do people get these home without exhorbitant shipping costs?

will be in Istanbul for 1.5 days mid May on RCCL cruise. Have heard that Istanbul has some nice leather products and tripadvisor recommends a store "Prens" . Can someone ballpark prices for a womans leather jacket and comment on the quality available? Other suggestions as to gifts for family & friends? I also hear opf people buying carpets, how do people get these home without exhorbitant shipping costs?

I didn't buy any leather goods so I can't help you there. I didn't ship anything home, so same thing.

As for gifts for family & friends it depends what you want. I have a lot of people who cook so I spent quite a bit of money in the Spice Bazaar.

Day Nine: Like I said, I wasn't feeling the Old City. So I went up to the Minaturk museum instead. The place is huge, a lot bigger then I expected. I forgot that it was a holiday and kids were out of school it was mobbed. I walked about half of it until it was enough for me and I left.

It is really out of the way. I would suggest doing it only if you have quite a bit of time to kill and really want something different. Otherwise, it can be skipped easily.

I went down to the Galata Bridge, had lunch down there, took some pictures and went back to the Spice Bazaar to do the last of my shopping. I have mentioned that I enjoy it a lot more then the Grand Bazaar and I was able to pick up everything I needed, spices, teas and other stuff to take back home. Came back to the hotel and just relaxed, I didn't feel like going out so I had dinner at the hotel.

Day Ten: Another day that there was a lot I wanted to do, and little that I did. The morning started off with the last of the school stuff to do while we we were here. I had a nice long lunch near the hotel with a friend and then I decided that since I still had to buy Turkish Delight to bring back home and pack, to do that. We were only allowed to bring one piece of big luggage per the tour company that our transfers were booked with rules, so most of us had to buy another piece to go back home. Don't get me started on how stupid of a decision that was, lol. I packed and then went out for our last dinner in Istanbul with most of my group to a place called Kat 5. It's rooftop dining overlooking the Bosphorus. They have two prefixed menu or ala carte. the food was amazing, I think we were all happy with it.

Day Eleven: My plan was Topkapi Palace & the Underground Cistern. I overslept, so I did the Underground Cistern, lunch at a cafe near there and just browsed a bit. I am now back at the hotel waiting for us to be picked up to go to the airport.

I will make a post with final thoughts about Istanbul and the link for my pictures when I'm home and get the chance to collect my thoughts. I hope you enjoyed reading this.

Day four was spent at the conference in the morning, catching up on some sleep/cruise critic in the afternoon and at a dinner for the conference at night.

However, we did have a tornado today in Istanbul. I was inside for it but at least some of my classmates got caught up in it. Everyone is okay thankfully!

Feel free to ask me things if you want :)

Thank you and so I will....We're going to be there in July, and I'm trying to get things squared away beforehand. We're arriving by cruiseship (Celebrity) and would like to take the Tram to the Sultanhammet district. I know there's a Kabatas stop, that's not the one I'm looking for. I know there's another one--and we dock at the LARGE cruiseship terminal (there are 2). I would really be appreciative if you could tell me or give me some insight (like how far it is walking distance) about the other tram stop sort of by the cruiseship terminal, as I'd rather take the tram than take a rip off taxi (which you can bargain for, and have him turn on the meter...) thank you so much....

Day Nine: Like I said, I wasn't feeling the Old City. So I went up to the Minaturk museum instead. The place is huge, a lot bigger then I expected. I forgot that it was a holiday and kids were out of school it was mobbed. I walked about half of it until it was enough for me and I left.

It is really out of the way. I would suggest doing it only if you have quite a bit of time to kill and really want something different. Otherwise, it can be skipped easily.

I went down to the Galata Bridge, had lunch down there, took some pictures and went back to the Spice Bazaar to do the last of my shopping. I have mentioned that I enjoy it a lot more then the Grand Bazaar and I was able to pick up everything I needed, spices, teas and other stuff to take back home. Came back to the hotel and just relaxed, I didn't feel like going out so I had dinner at the hotel.

Day Ten: Another day that there was a lot I wanted to do, and little that I did. The morning started off with the last of the school stuff to do while we we were here. I had a nice long lunch near the hotel with a friend and then I decided that since I still had to buy Turkish Delight to bring back home and pack, to do that. We were only allowed to bring one piece of big luggage per the tour company that our transfers were booked with rules, so most of us had to buy another piece to go back home. Don't get me started on how stupid of a decision that was, lol. I packed and then went out for our last dinner in Istanbul with most of my group to a place called Kat 5. It's rooftop dining overlooking the Bosphorus. They have two prefixed menu or ala carte. the food was amazing, I think we were all happy with it.

Day Eleven: My plan was Topkapi Palace & the Underground Cistern. I overslept, so I did the Underground Cistern, lunch at a cafe near there and just browsed a bit. I am now back at the hotel waiting for us to be picked up to go to the airport.

I will make a post with final thoughts about Istanbul and the link for my pictures when I'm home and get the chance to collect my thoughts. I hope you enjoyed reading this.

Yes I did--I think I might have just missed you...SOrry for the above post. What did you think of the Cistern?

Yes I did--I think I might have just missed you...SOrry for the above post. What did you think of the Cistern?

I loved the Underground Cisterns, I think it was totally worth it. If you manage to get there when there is not a crowd you can be in and out pretty fast, all up to you.

I hope to get my pictures up this weekend, sorry for the delay!

We're going to get there first thing on a Friday morning....

Would you know the answers to the other ?'s in my post?? Thanks!

I'm not sure where the other cruise ship terminal is. I can get you the name of the tram stops when I get home, all my maps are at home and I'm in class :)

HI, honeybee,

I just finished reading all of your posts. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and I appreciate you taking the time to do this to help others. I have made note of the restaurant you liked Kat 5 to keep in mind since we have an overnight and would love to have dinner out somewhere. Thinking it might be closer to our ship than other choices.

I know you bought the evil eye bracelets in the Spice Bazaar and wanted to see if you saw lots of other types of jewelry, too. I know I want to buy some silver jewelry and thought I'd find the best selection at the Grand Bazaar, but I think if the Spice bazaar has good enough selection I will plan to shop there for the jewelry. We are there all day Sunday and half day Monday, so the loose plan is to go to the Spice Bazaar on Sunday afternoon and Grand Bazaar Monday morning. Only will have a few hours in the Grand Bazaar so would rather get the shopping going the day before!

[quote name='fendere']HI, honeybee,

I just finished reading all of your posts. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and I appreciate you taking the time to do this to help others. I have made note of the restaurant you liked Kat 5 to keep in mind since we have an overnight and would love to have dinner out somewhere. Thinking it might be closer to our ship than other choices.

I know you bought the evil eye bracelets in the Spice Bazaar and wanted to see if you saw lots of other types of jewelry, too. I know I want to buy some silver jewelry and thought I'd find the best selection at the Grand Bazaar, but I think if the Spice bazaar has good enough selection I will plan to shop there for the jewelry. We are there all day Sunday and half day Monday, so the loose plan is to go to the Spice Bazaar on Sunday afternoon and Grand Bazaar Monday morning. Only will have a few hours in the Grand Bazaar so would rather get the shopping going the day before![/QUOTE]

There was some but not much. I think that your plan to go to the Spice Bazaar first and then the Grand Bazaar on Monday to fill whatever you weren't able to get at the Spice Bazaar makes sense. The Grand Bazaar for me was just way to overwhelming, I had no desire to go back at all.

Archived