Camera safety in Venice

ninkb

Any information on using a DSLR in Venice? DH has been reading some camera threads and has the idea that it attracts thieves. Have you felt safe using an expensive camera in the city? Leaving soon . . . please advise quickly! :) Thanks!

I carry a dslr with me all over Europe. The only place it ever felt at all dicey was in Naples, even then, we had no problems. My husband is convinced that a few people were eyeing it though as we wandered to Da Michelle for pizza. Thieves are looking for easy opportunities so keep the strap wrapped around your wrist when just walking along and NEVER leave anything of value sitting on top of a table when you sit down for a meal or anything else. I keep my camerra in my lap when we take breaks. Smaller cameras are easier targets as people a more likely to put them down unguarded for a few moments.

Any information on using a DSLR in Venice? DH has been reading some camera threads and has the idea that it attracts thieves. Have you felt safe using an expensive camera in the city? Leaving soon . . . please advise quickly! :) Thanks!

To ease his mind, I would suggest something like this: http://pacsafe.com/carrysafe-100-anti-theft-camera-strap . The strap is slashproof so a thief could not cut and run. He could either wear it around his neck, or lengthen the strap and wear it across his body like a purse, holding it in front of him for more security.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

I carry a dslr with me all over Europe. The only place it ever felt at all dicey was in Naples, even then, we had no problems. My husband is convinced that a few people were eyeing it though as we wandered to Da Michelle for pizza. Thieves are looking for easy opportunities so keep the strap wrapped around your wrist when just walking along and NEVER leave anything of value sitting on top of a table when you sit down for a meal or anything else. I keep my camerra in my lap when we take breaks. Smaller cameras are easier targets as people a more likely to put them down unguarded for a few moments.

Agree with never putting anything down! When I go to a restaurant/cafe/sit on a bench, I keep my Pacsafe in my lap, and keep the strap looped around me. I stick my other arm through it, and slide the strap down my back and around my waist. That way I don't have to worry about it falling off my lap and being free for the taking. And if I want to set my camera down, I put it in my purse and zip/clip it up rather than setting it on a table - you never know what can happen!

Any information on using a DSLR in Venice? DH has been reading some camera threads and has the idea that it attracts thieves. Have you felt safe using an expensive camera in the city? Leaving soon . . . please advise quickly! Thanks!

Was in Venice for two different days last June, taking lots and lots (about 500) of pictures with my Nikon D3100. We walked all over and never felt any danger or problem, including at night and early the next morning. Have visited in Venice two other times and did not sense or have any problems. You can see a few of my reason on why I love Venice so much with a few of the highlights below, plus more on this . . . .

Check out this posting that I did with many, many pictures from earlier trips on Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226&highlight=venice

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 73,283 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

No visit to Venice is complete without seeing the famed Rialto Bridge. It is one of the four bridges spanning the Grand Canal and is the oldest bridge across the canal. The Rialto market on the eastern bank increased traffic to the original floating bridge, replaced in 1255 by a wooden bridge. During the first half of the 15th century, two rows of shops were built along the sides of the bridge. The present stone bridge was completed in 1591. The engineering of the bridge was criticized and doubted, but it has become one of the architectural icons of Venice. We had a brief drink and snack here to watch all of the activities around this busy location.:

VeniceGrandCanelBridge.jpg

Don’t miss the Solstice sail-in for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

From the interior of Venice’s St Mark’s on the second/upper level, here is a view that shows how much on this church is covered in these opulent, gilded Byzantine mosaics. Notice the details in the floor of this famed Basilica.:

VeniceStMarksInteriorDetails.jpg

This is a Venice parish church called Chiesa di San Moise on Campo San Moisè. It has an elaborate Baroque facade that is covered in designs that one travel book describes as having “scrumptious icing flourishes of carved-stone ornament”. This 1660’s facade is on a church site dating back to the 9th century and that honors Moses. At the right is the modern front of the five-star Bauer Hotel that is connected with an older palazzo fronting the Grand Canal.:

VeniceChurchNearBauerHotel.jpg

At night in Venice it is a totally different and more magical city. Here were are ready to enter San Marco Piazza at sunset. You see the Campanile tower, St. Mark’s Cathedral and people. The bands on this square are playing. So wonderful and charming!:

VeniceSanMarcoSqNight.jpg

From near the Doge’s Palace, here is the view across the main waterway to San Giorgio Maggiore, a 16th century Benedictine church built between 1566 and 1610. Also shown is a gondola and passengers in the foreground. There were eight to ten thousand gondolas during the 17th and 18th century with only about four hundred in active service today in Venice:

VeniceGondolaStMarkAcrossH2O.jpg

Be smart and you should be fine with a DSLR, its all about common sense and being aware of your surroundings.

Enjoy venice!

. . . for your positive feedback. We both have PacSafe equipment for this trip. I think all of your comments will help to put his mind at ease. I kept telling him that I would have read something on these forums if there was a problem . . . but he sure doesn't want to risk his Nikon! On the other hand, he doesn't want to lose photo quality with a point and shoot. Such are the problems we deal with when we have the joy of cruising. There's always "something" to consider.

Was in Venice for two days last summer with my Nikon D90 and never felt uncomfortable and had no problems. But, as a precaution, I always use a new memory card each day "just in case" after a fellow cruiser had his camera stolen on one of our excursions in St. Petersburg and was devastated that he had lost several days worth of photos. I also always carry a point and shoot as a back up, "just in case" as I would never want to be without a camera.

Was in Venice for two days last summer with my Nikon D90 and never felt uncomfortable and had no problems. But, as a precaution, I always use a new memory card each day "just in case" after a fellow cruiser had his camera stolen on one of our excursions in St. Petersburg and was devastated that he had lost several days worth of photos. I also always carry a point and shoot as a back up, "just in case" as I would never want to be without a camera.

chipmaster: Be smart and you should be fine with a DSLR' date=' its all about common sense and being aware of your surroundings. [/quote']

Excellent, key points by chipmaster on being smart, using common sense and being aware of your surroundings. Also, great wisdom from duchess nan about using new memory cards each day (and/or downloading each day's pictures to your secured laptop left on the ship), having a camera back-up along with you, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 73,417 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi.

My family is from a town near venice, I normally go to Venice at least twice a year and Never in my live have any problems with thieves in Venice.

For sure all big cities or turistic places have chances to encounter some thieves but venices is so far a safe place.

Hope you enjoy your visit to this Incredible city

I have a Nikon D3100 and I was completely safe with it around my neck everywhere in Italy. You can get a wire and hook it onto the camera where the straps hook, and hook it onto a belt loop at the other end for extra security. Only in Naples and Rome and Barcelona were we leery of gypsies and thieves. Beware of pickpockets in Venice. Use only money belts under your clothes.

You certainly won't come across scooter-mounted thieves in Venice....

I carried a Canon 500D (T1i) and a bag of lenses all over Venice for two days early last summer, and the only problem I had was that my neck was very stiff at the end of it.

Archived