Car Rental Question?????????????

tantoine

Yes, you can rent a vehicle with a debit card - several companies to check out would be Ben's West Coast Jeeps, Cost-U-Less, Drive-a-Matic, Hertz, St. Lucia National Car Rental, etc, etc.

It is usually around $75US per day for a small SUV type vehicle, plus insurance plus the St. Lucia temporary driving license. So, you are looking at at least $100US for the day and probably closer to $115 or so.

Also, note that we drive on the left hand side of the road with right hand drive vehicles (think Britain) Our roads are narrow and twisty mountainous roads and are not very well marked. That said - there is only one road that goes all the way around the island! Up north, near the port though, the roads are narrow and crowded and you could end up wandering a bit through the city to find your way.

Enjoy your visit!

• 3 months later...
Yes, you can rent a vehicle with a debit card - several companies to check out would be Ben's West Coast Jeeps, Cost-U-Less, Drive-a-Matic, Hertz, St. Lucia National Car Rental, etc, etc.

It is usually around $75US per day for a small SUV type vehicle, plus insurance plus the St. Lucia temporary driving license. So, you are looking at at least $100US for the day and probably closer to $115 or so.

Also, note that we drive on the left hand side of the road with right hand drive vehicles (think Britain) Our roads are narrow and twisty mountainous roads and are not very well marked. That said - there is only one road that goes all the way around the island! Up north, near the port though, the roads are narrow and crowded and you could end up wandering a bit through the city to find your way.

Enjoy your visit!

Hi which companies have an office at the port?

Hertz may have an office at Pointe Seraphine - I am not 100% certain. Any and all of them will meet you with the vehicle at the docks, so whether they have an office at the port is irrelevant. Highly, highly recommend that if you are renting a vehicle - you rent and arrange for it in advance - they will meet you when the ship docks with all the paperwork and the vehicle. Renting once you get on island without a reservation is very time consuming - you will lose most of the morning just arranging for the car.

Good luck.

Hertz may have an office at Pointe Seraphine - I am not 100% certain. Any and all of them will meet you with the vehicle at the docks, so whether they have an office at the port is irrelevant. Highly, highly recommend that if you are renting a vehicle - you rent and arrange for it in advance - they will meet you when the ship docks with all the paperwork and the vehicle. Renting once you get on island without a reservation is very time consuming - you will lose most of the morning just arranging for the car.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice I already have a reservation with Drive a Matic for both St Lucia and Barbados, was just looking at all options and your right about reserving before especially if you need a larger vehicle.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone is different. I'm not bashful when it comes to driving. I like driving in Boston when you go from 8 lanes down to 2 going through the Sumner Tunnel, but on islands like St. Lucia, Dominica and Grenada, I'll leave the driving to a local. The roads are often crazy steep and even crazier narrow. Our American rules of the road do not apply.

Barbados, Tortola, and Cozumel are a breeze to drive on but I just ain't man enough to drive on some of those mountainous Leeward Islands! But like I said, everybody is different.

Archived