What is Florida like to drive?

BigKeith

I'm not sure how much experience the OP has with North American driving. For me, as someone who drives for a living, and probably does in excess of 100,000 miles a year, the idea of adapting to England driving rules would scare the hell out of me. So I imagine someone doing the other way around is probably nerve wracking enough without having to worry about where you actually are going.

I do chuckle at the statement of getting used to an automatic. But only a little bit because after having spent 20 years shifting gears in a truck, getting an automatic last fall was a surprising change, one that I thought would be a lot easier. South Florida is pretty easy to get around. One nice thing is if you miss an exit, the next one is right there and you can either double back to where you want to be, or take the city street back.

I think getting used to the automatic would be easier than trying to shift on the opposite side. Driving on the other side of the road would be enough to worry about without having to worry about shifting too.

Sharon

Another thing I would like to add is the number of the roadway is interpreted as the speed limit here in Florida. For example, the real speed limit on I-95 is 70mph, but most people like to go around 95. The speed limit in Orlando on I-4 is about 50mph, but most of the time you need to use the interstate it is packed, so 4mph is not uncommon. I live next to one of the busiest roads in Brevard County and the speed limit is 40-45, however people decide to go either way to slow or way too fast and believe that they can run a red light if it has been red for at least 30 seconds. The use of a turn signal is a foreign concept.

Be very careful when driving around here since most people can not drive.

Archived