Viking Serenade

Does anyone here know what happened to the Viking Serenade? It was the first cruise ship my Wife and I were ever on and It was a 4 day cruise from So. Cal to Ensenada, Mexico. I understood it to be a converted car carrier ship. Just curious..

The Viking Serenade (originally the Scandinavia, an unsuccessful cruise-ferry service from NY to Freeport, Bahamas), now sails as the MS Island Escape. Here is a lnk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Island_Escape. I sailed on her from LA back in 2001, taking my sister on her first cruise. The Viking Serenade may have not been the prettiest ship, but we had a blast, and the crew was awesome :)

Viking Serenade was my first cruise when she was the Stardancer. And not too much later, she became my first RCI cruise as the Viking Serenade. Hard to believe that was over 25 years ago, not to mention the evolution of ships since (Scandinavia/Stardancer/Viking Serenade/Island Escape could almost fit in Central Park on Oasis).

Thank you for your responses.. We also had a blast and have been hooked on cruising ever since. It was, however, the first and only time ever in an inside cabin.. I could not get over the fact that there as no day or night in that cabin. The light was on or it was off.:confused: Only OV or balcony after that!:cool:

Fond memories of that ship.. The first time is always special!:D

Archived