Best way to snorkel in Belize???

oracer

Coming into port on the Carnival Dream in June. Looking to take the family snorkeling and have read both Shark Ray alley and Hol Chan park are good, but concerned about the amount of people.

Went to Grand Cayman last year and took a catamaran on the sting ray beach and was really nice because the boat only took 10 people and was very relaxing. Couple of dollars more than the larger boat operators, but the experience was so much better because not as crowded.

Does anyone know of tour operators in Belize that may offer the same thing?

Our suggestion would be Coral Breeze Tours who we have been using about two times a year for the last 10 years & we have always has a wonderful time snorkeling, playing with the Rays & Nurse Sharks & enjoying the great local lunch on Caye Caulker. Heni & her crew will show your group a great time in the water & on Caye Caulker.

We used to do the ships tours but finally realized that private tours are the only way to go if you'd prefer to avoid the crowds.

Look up their site for the info.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

From reading other stories, it sounded to me that Coral Breeze was also a crowded boat experience with "lines" of people doing the snorkeling. Thanks for those suggestions, just want to make sure before we finally register with someone.

Will not go through the cruise line, that is always more expensive and very crowded.

The Wet Lizard Shark Ray tour is the same that is sold by Coral Breeze. The operator is Hammerhead Sports.

Last fall I booked with Coral Breeze/Wet Lizard/Hammerhead

here are pictures from that day:

04 - Wed, Nov 16, 2011, Belize - 8am-5pm

Page1 - Bridge, Tenders, Kicking up mud, Tendering, Ship from tender, Fort Street Tourism Village, Coral Breeze/Hammerhead Watersports Shark/Ray Snorkeling and Caye Caulker Excursion,

Page2 - Coral Breeze/Hammerhead Watersports Shark/Ray Snorkeling and Caye Caulker Excursion, Snorkeling part, Green Moray, Shark/Ray part,

Page3 - Coral Breeze/Hammerhead Watersports Shark/Ray Snorkeling and Caye Caulker Excursion, Sharks and Rays, Lunch on Caye Caulker, Tender back to ship

The Wet Lizard Shark Ray tour is the same that is sold by Coral Breeze. The operator is Hammerhead Sports.

Last fall I booked with Coral Breeze/Wet Lizard/Hammerhead

here are pictures from that day:

04 - Wed, Nov 16, 2011, Belize - 8am-5pm

Page1 - Bridge, Tenders, Kicking up mud, Tendering, Ship from tender, Fort Street Tourism Village, Coral Breeze/Hammerhead Watersports Shark/Ray Snorkeling and Caye Caulker Excursion,

Page2 - Coral Breeze/Hammerhead Watersports Shark/Ray Snorkeling and Caye Caulker Excursion, Snorkeling part, Green Moray, Shark/Ray part,

Page3 - Coral Breeze/Hammerhead Watersports Shark/Ray Snorkeling and Caye Caulker Excursion, Sharks and Rays, Lunch on Caye Caulker, Tender back to ship

Great pictures Sargent Schultz! I assume from the photos that in addition to the water and snorkel time, you get land time on Caye Caulker. Do you recall about how much time you had in the water for snorkeling the reef, time with the sharks and time on Caye Caulker?

Do you recall about how much time you had in the water for snorkeling the reef, time with the sharks and time on Caye Caulker?

According to the posted Coral Breeze Itinerary, 90 minutes are divided between the reef and the sharks on the grass flats, then another 90 minutes are spent on Caye Caulker... but the tour doesn't always go according to plan. I've read more than one post complaining about being rushed and missing time here or there... in addition to complaints about being forced to wear life-jackets while snorkeling and being herded through the reef like sheep. :(

If I am snorkeling the reef off of Caye Caulker, I damn well will be wearing a vest, as if anything would happen, I want to have the best chance of being saved out there in the boonies & any real medical help !!

Bill in FL

:eek: Do you think the environment is that dangerous, or are you that weak of a swimmer? :confused: If I thought I might need saving, I'd avoid the situation entirely. :)

If the conditions are rough and waves are breaking on the reef, you should not get in the water! If you do, and you wear a vest, you are much more likely to get swept into those waves and tumbled across the coral. This kills people... and just did! Tour operators don't want to cancel tours or return deposits, so they take tourists out in conditions that are marginal at best. Requiring people wear life jackets allows them to push that envelope, but does it really make you safe?

If you think it's safer to wear a vest, go ahead and wear one... and if you need training wheels on your bicycle, use them... just don't expect me to be happy if they become required for everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

If the conditions are rough and waves are breaking on the reef, you should not get in the water! If you do, and you wear a vest, you are much more likely to get swept into those waves and tumbled across the coral. This kills people... and just did!

That article states that none of the people involved in that tragedy were wearing life vests?

Pardon my ignorance but how does wearing a vest make you more likely to be killed or injured while snorkeling?

That article states that none of the people involved in that tragedy were wearing life vests?

Pardon my ignorance but how does wearing a vest make you more likely to be killed or injured while snorkeling?

Not a bad question !

In fact, a GREAT question !!

Awaiting his learned reply.

Not a bad question !

In fact, a GREAT question !!

Awaiting his learned reply.

In rough water or strong undertow, a life jacket prevents you from diving below the current or rough waves to get free; you are subject to being tossed about at the direction of the waves. This can actually make getting out of rough water more difficult but of course you have to be a strong and knowledgeable swimmer to do that. Avid snorkelers also generally avoid flotation devices as that interferes with the ability to dive to get those close up experiences. Avoiding rough water or strong currents would actually be the most sensible thing to do.

:eek: Do you think the environment is that dangerous, or are you that weak of a swimmer? :confused: If I thought I might need saving, I'd avoid the situation entirely. :)

If the conditions are rough and waves are breaking on the reef, you should not get in the water! If you do, and you wear a vest, you are much more likely to get swept into those waves and tumbled across the coral. This kills people... and just did! Tour operators don't want to cancel tours or return deposits, so they take tourists out in conditions that are marginal at best. Requiring people wear life jackets allows them to push that envelope, but does it really make you safe?

If you think it's safer to wear a vest, go ahead and wear one... and if you need training wheels on your bicycle, use them... just don't expect me to be happy if they become required for everyone!

As with all children, everyone's goal is to make you happy.:rolleyes:

As with all children, everyone's goal is to make you happy.:rolleyes:

I don't need you to make me happy Steve... just like I don't need your regulations to keep me safe. It seems you think training wheels should be required on all bikes, and if I don't want to use them, I'm just a child. :rolleyes: Ironically enough, where I come from, only children use training wheels! ;)

You should realize snorkeling is a hobby many enjoy on a regular basis. It's not just a way for tourists to peek underwater once a year. If you and Will need life jackets to feel safe in the water, then wear them and enjoy the view from the surface... I promise I won't laugh. ;) I will take offense though, when you come home, go online, and claim its "the best way to snorkel in Belize"!

If you're required to wear a floatation device, it can't be "the best way to snorkel in Belize"... even if you're above the most spectacular reef in the world. Luckily for enthusiasts, there are other boats without such Draconian rules! :cool:

I think most of the snorkel excursions require you to use a flotation device, I would guess their insurance requires it. It definitely depends on the ocean conditions. One day it could be smooth as glass, the next day rough and unsafe. We snorkeled in St Maarten and the first place I used a flotation device, the 2nd I didn't. I'm a strong swimmer and experienced snorkeler. The Bahamas they required us to use life vests and all it did was strangle me. The ocean was flat and I didn't need it, but it was required. One time off Waikiki Beach they let us snorkel with or without. The ocean was strong and current was terrible. I don't think they should have even let people off the boat. It was pretty scary, but I did use a vest and it was all I could do to paddle back to the boat. (and the snorkeling stunk!)

Archived