First time cruiser - overnight stay in Nassau

poohbear60

We are cruising for the first time on a 3 day cruise from Miami. Our ship docks at 10am on 6/30 and leaves at 7am on 7/1. I have been reading all sorts of helpful information on the boards, so here's my question:

We would like to go to the Sheraton Beach(as it sounds like fun) but we also want to go shopping and at least stop into Senor Frogs. We have late seating for our meal on the ship.

Would there be time to do all this? Thanks for the help:)

8:15, but we are on Carnival. And why is it that 70 people have viewed the first timer's question and not one person can answer the question. Very frustrating, as I was told these boards were very helpful and people answer your questions.

We are cruising for the first time on a 3 day cruise from Miami. Our ship docks at 10am on 6/30 and leaves at 7am on 7/1. I have been reading all sorts of helpful information on the boards, so here's my question:

We would like to go to the Sheraton Beach(as it sounds like fun) but we also want to go shopping and at least stop into Senor Frogs. We have late seating for our meal on the ship.

Would there be time to do all this? Thanks for the help:)

I LOVE the overnights in Nassau. You should have plenty of time, but depends on how you do your day. If I were you I would get off the ship and go directly to the Sheraton. Spend most of the day there and start heading back around 3-4ish...do some shopping on the way back to the ship. Go back to the ship and relax and have dinner and after dinner head back out to Senior Frogs...it will be so much fun at night if there is a ship there overnight. You still have plenty of time to do everything even if you don't go back out after night...you just won't have as much time at Senior Frogs. You can see the ship from Senior Frogs so it is only a 5 minute walk back to the ship at most...also, I don't like to drink too much during the day and then go to dinner, I would rather go to the beach, shop, eat and then get my drink on! Have fun!!!

8:15, but we are on Carnival. And why is it that 70 people have viewed the first timer's question and not one person can answer the question. Very frustrating, as I was told these boards were very helpful and people answer your questions.

we can all be very helpful, we just didnt know what your late time seating was... imagine how frsutrating it might be for us to want to help you with no info. Also, everytime you look at your own post you add another tick count... if you use subscribed threads under quick links, you will be able to see when all the posts youve enetered have been remarked by someone new. I have been on this board since 2003, sometimes you just have to ask the question in a manner which we can help

we can all be very helpful, we just didnt know what your late time seating was... imagine how frsutrating it might be for us to want to help you with no info. Also, everytime you look at your own post you add another tick count... if you use subscribed threads under quick links, you will be able to see when all the posts youve enetered have been remarked by someone new. I have been on this board since 2003, sometimes you just have to ask the question in a manner which we can help

Exactly! That's why I asked the clarifying question OP. Did you ever think that perhaps people needed more info before providing an answer? This board is incredibly helpful, particularly ScubaGirl, who tirelessly answers the same questions over and over. Next time, try a little tact.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll also be there on an overnight stop in November, which happens to be on my 60th bday. :D

Normally, I wouldn't set foot in a place like Senor Frogs (I dont sail to beautiful, exotic places to hang out in chain-type restaurants/bars), but given the circumstances, we'll probably go over there for a drink after (late) dinner.

Does the terminal building stay open 24/7? It would be really unfortunate to stay out late and find that you couldn't actually get back to the ship and have to sleep on a park bench. :p

I found a great story in "Budget Travel" magazine this month about things to do in Nassau when on a cruise ship docked at Pr George Wharf. One place was a beach called Sandy Toes. It's an 8 min. ($6) taxi ride to Paradise Island Ferry and then a 40 min boat ride. You can get an excursion that includes a welcome drink, lunch and snorkel equip. at ferry terminal for $70 because of length of ferry ride it would probably be a better excursion for overnight stay in Nassau in MHO.

Also mentions educulture museum ($6 - 10 min taxi ride ) has display of floats, costumes and masks from junkanoo parade. you can try on the masks,etc. $10 admission. Fort Fincastle ($4 -5 min taxi ride ) 360 degree spectacular views of Nassau. cost $1, great seafood( 8 min- $5 taxi ride) at Potter's Cay a row of seafood shacks under Paradise Island Bridge . Author liked conch salad from Twin brothers there ($10), a rock n roll club called Crazy Johnnys with local bands and karaoke ($5 min taxi ride ). Also mentioned local art for sale in beautiful surroundings at Doongalik Studios art gallery ($6 10 min. taxi ride ).

I've never been to any of these places, but would like to hear what local CC member has to say about them. Most of the mentioned places had websites.

We'll also be there on an overnight stop in November, which happens to be on my 60th bday. :D

Normally, I wouldn't set foot in a place like Senor Frogs (I dont sail to beautiful, exotic places to hang out in chain-type restaurants/bars), but given the circumstances, we'll probably go over there for a drink after (late) dinner.

Does the terminal building stay open 24/7? It would be really unfortunate to stay out late and find that you couldn't actually get back to the ship and have to sleep on a park bench. :p

No need to set foot in Senor Frogs, Hard rock or any other chain restaurant. we have plenty. Check out www.greenparrotbar.com either harbourside or Paradise Island.

Hammerheads, sharkeys, crazy johnnys.

If you want something more upscale.. the hilton has a great bar Buillion, with jazz on tues/thursday.. it's just behind senor frogs.

there are other places as well.. you'll see them as you walk around during the day.

Terminal is open 24/7.. sometimes it's a bit erry in the middle of the nite.

No need to set foot in Senor Frogs, Hard rock or any other chain restaurant. we have plenty. Check out www.greenparrotbar.com either harbourside or Paradise Island.

Hammerheads, sharkeys, crazy johnnys.

If you want something more upscale.. the hilton has a great bar Buillion, with jazz on tues/thursday.. it's just behind senor frogs.

there are other places as well.. you'll see them as you walk around during the day.

Terminal is open 24/7.. sometimes it's a bit erry in the middle of the nite.

Thanks, scubagirrl! We won't want upscale. This is a short, cheapo cruise for both my b-day (11/17) and I'm also paying for a balcony for DD and her new DH as a honeymoon cruise, so I'm trying to keep the costs down on the islands.

We're probably doing the new sailing excursion in Freeport, which is rather pricey, so we have tentative plan in Nassau to spend the afternoon at the free beach, if it's open at that time of year. Have our "free" dinner on the ship, then head out for a nightcap or three.

Is the harbourside Green Parrot within walking distance of the pier or would a taxi be needed?

Every time I'm in Nassau, I get grouper at the stand next to the restrooms in the terminal building. Best fish ever!

Thanks, scubagirrl! We won't want upscale. This is a short, cheapo cruise for both my b-day (11/17) and I'm also paying for a balcony for DD and her new DH as a honeymoon cruise, so I'm trying to keep the costs down on the islands.

We're probably doing the new sailing excursion in Freeport, which is rather pricey, so we have tentative plan in Nassau to spend the afternoon at the free beach, if it's open at that time of year. Have our "free" dinner on the ship, then head out for a nightcap or three.

Is the harbourside Green Parrot within walking distance of the pier or would a taxi be needed?

Every time I'm in Nassau, I get grouper at the stand next to the restrooms in the terminal building. Best fish ever!

You'll need a quick cab to the Green parrot.. especially in the evening. But it's got great views on the harbour

Green Parrot also has a small pub near the port (Crews Pub) which is within walking distance.. but not the same ambiance

To get to Crews pub.. walk out the port gate.. make a left.. go about 50 meters.. very close.

Personally.. I'd opt for the Parrot on the harbour. Cab should be $10 for 2 ppl/ $3 for ea. add'l person plus tip

You can walk to Junkanoo Beach which is just on the other side of the Hilton. It's a nice enough beach with a fantastic view of the ships in port. They have a beer/soda/snack stand there and public restrooms and showers.

I agree with the previous posters. The nice thing about an overnight stay in Nassau is that you can go to Senor Frogs and have a few drinks and not run the risk of getting left behind. One word of caution - after a certain time Senor Frogs starts charging a cover charge. Be prepared to pay up to $10 a person to get in on a popular/busy night. Worth it in my opinion if you're looking for a fun party atmosphere with other tourists.

Maybe if you don't like the way things work on these boards you should find some other boards to ask your questions on. You do have that option!

• 1 month later...
Hi Scubagirl. How is the walk from Atlantis to the Green Parrot on Paradise Island? It looks pretty short, but is traffic heavy in that area around lunchtime on a Wednesday?

If you duck out the Coral Towers exit, go around the Marina Village, cross the street by the bank/Police Station, you'll find it just behind the police station at the hurricane hole marina. 5-8 minutes from the Atlantis.

Archived