Connecting cabins/suites

Pies4u

Just wondering about various aspects of our QM2 cruise, which is still almost a year away - and a minor point springs to mind;

Has anyone got experience of the connecting suites on deck 9? I picked 9064 because of the location without realising it has a connecting door. Now I'm thinking about noise/disturbance - any views please?

Just wondering about various aspects of our QM2 cruise, which is still almost a year away - and a minor point springs to mind;

Has anyone got experience of the connecting suites on deck 9? I picked 9064 because of the location without realising it has a connecting door. Now I'm thinking about noise/disturbance - any views please?

I think you find that it largely depends on your neighbours. I have had a cabin with a connecting door on three occasions. (We book guarantee) On one trip next door's TV was clearly audible as was their conversation: bear in mind the demographic of Cunard and the concomitant hearing problems. The steward came and put masking tape round the door and a towel across the threshold but with little effect. On subsequent trips we heard nothing from the neighbours except when they were out on the balcony at the same time as we were.

Shiny

We had a connecting stateroom on 11 and until midway through the week I could have thought the stateroom next door was empty. It was only because we saw communications outside their door that I knew someone was there.

Only once have I had a connecting door in my cabin, and I never heard a thing from next door. It was only when I saw people leaving the cabin one day that I realised that it was occupied.

As has been said, it could depend on your neighbours, some people are considerate of others, some don't care.

Private conversations etc, on balconies can be easily overheard however, I will not relate how well I almost got to know my neighbours on one cruise, I went indoors and closed the door rather than increase that knowledge :eek:

Please don't worry about this so far in advance, you'll love QM2 I'm sure, have a great time, Bon Voyage.

Hi Pies4u, on three of our 10 QM2 voyages, we have had adjoining cabins on decks 10 and 11. The first time wasn't bad, the second was torture, and the last time was no problem whatsoever - in fact, it made us more sensitive to the sounds we made so as not to upset the balance. I'm rather fond of whispering, but my husband has hearing loss* so if I had my choice, I would not choose an adjoining cabin.

*Just to mention that hearing loss can occur at any age. Proper diagnosis and proper fitting of hearing aids works wonders ;)

Regards,

Salacia

Many thanks for the info & responses.

On balance, the risk of being located in our preferred spot and having noisy neighbours might well outweigh the advantages of a potentially "quiter" suite.

Decisions, decisions!

Hi Pies4u, on three of our 10 QM2 voyages, we have had adjoining cabins on decks 10 and 11. The first time wasn't bad, the second was torture, and the last time was no problem whatsoever - in fact, it made us more sensitive to the sounds we made so as not to upset the balance. I'm rather fond of whispering, but my husband has hearing loss* so if I had my choice, I would not choose an adjoining cabin.

*Just to mention that hearing loss can occur at any age. Proper diagnosis and proper fitting of hearing aids works wonders ;)

Regards,

Salacia

So you've had a suite? :)

One type of noise which does irritate the hell out of me is the slamming of wardrobe doors and drawers and the thumping of hangers against the wardrobe back especially when folks come in late at night. And that noise penetrates whatever cabin one occupies.

Shiny

So you've had a suite? :)

Yes Ray, but not on a Cunard ship:) Now I'm wondering what other decks we had an adjoining cabin (besides the most recent one on deck 11 which was fine). I had a nicely detailed file stored on my computer about my ten voyages on QM2, but when my old computer crashed and died, I lost everything on it.:(

I asked because the cabins on deck 10 are either suites or inside.

Don't you keep the literature from Cunard from your voyages? Maybe I'm sad but we do. :o

Thanks Ray. Funny thing is that I was determined to do some serious spring cleaning and throw out boxes of old stuff. Luckily, I never got around to the boxes with Cunard paperwork, but now I have the task of reconstructing my files (and this time, I'm going to keep a copy on a memory stick!)

Anyway, to get back to the topic, we booked guarantee category cabins 5 or 6 times, and were assigned an adjoining cabin 3 times, but in an upgraded category. That wouldn't deter me from booking a guarantee category again, but I don't think I would book a specific cabin if it had and adjoining door - just my personal choice.

Archived