AMAcerto reviews yet??

alexandra cruiser

• 2 weeks later...
We sail on the AMAcerto August 6, our first river cruise, and would love to hear a report as well!

Hi -- is that the Prague to Budapest that begins in Prague August 6 with an August 9 sailing from Rishofen to Budapest? If so, my wife and I are on that as well. It's our first river cruise after more than 30 ocean cruises. We're celebrating our 40th anniversary.

I started a thread for this sailing on the roll call board, under AMACerto August 9, 2012. You are the first folks I've seen on these boards also on that sailing. We should continue this on the roll call thread where others may jump in.

David

• 3 weeks later...
did post this under roll call section,,but,,need answer soon,,PLEASE..

Leave this Sunday and need to know,,since such a new boat,,are there books there yet??:confused:

I do think it is a bit optimistic to suspect any selection this soon after she started sailing. I would bring my own, better yet a Kindle loaded up.

• 3 weeks later...

Can answer any questions.

Will do member review later,,a bit jet lagged as I just got in last nite.

Enjoyed the new ship..with the 2 balconies...worth every penny.Great to sit out ,,even in rain(which,sadly we had a lot of).

The cabin is nicely furnished and bathroom has plenty of space for items.Shower is rain type and hand held too.But could use bathmat,since shower floor slippery.And do find switch on outside that blocks the window..unless you re not shy(seemed strange addition to me,,but guess it brings in lite to bathroom??)

Staff very helpful and friendly.Room clean well and promptly.Any requests met quickly.,

Food was fine,but not as tasty or as much selection as ocean cruises.Breakfast buffet was adequate and could order standard items off menu.Same with lunch.Dinner was either in main room or Erlebris(chef s table),,,be sure to sign up for that .Warning ...if you dont like the 2 choices for main course(which I didnt...too bad,,no substitutions).Menu there doesn t change thru cruise. Main dining room offers more choices and standard menu selections.Problem I had is quality,,for instance,,ordered turkey and it was the infamous "turkey roll",,same for pork and chicken??) Beef seemed better and could have had more pasta selections,for me anyways.

Shore excursions seemed well planned and took advantage of only 1 optional.The Terezin tour which was informative,,but very sad.The famous audio systems only worked when guides talked directly into receiver,,not their headsets.

I d take another AMA cruise,in fact have one booked for Dec.in Vietnam.Like the new boats,,but guess my expectations were a little TOO HIGH.Had asked what riverboat was similar to Regent,Seabourn,,,got many answers to try AMA.But,sadly,very similar to other ones I ve taken(Avalon,Uniworld,Viking,Gate 1,,etc. Good not Great.;)

Glad you had a nice trip but sorry the food was not to your liking. Will be interested to hear your thoughts when you get rested from your trip. We have discussed other lines like Seabourn, Regent and Sea Dream on other posts, but how would you compare AMA to Uniworld and to our other favorite cruise lines? We are booked on Budapest to Passau with an extension to Prague on Uniworld next year. We leave for Alaska on Regent next week. Looking forward to it.

would say food similar but big difference in ship..since this was new longboat and had 2 balconies ,,the Uniworld one was several yrs.ago and ship not as new with only french balcony.To me a BIG difference.

You ll LOVE Regent,,,but can NOT compare with any riverboat that I know of..much larger(700 as compared to 150) and much more luxurious with better entertainment and better quality food,etc. But STILL love the experience of docking right in city center and able to see areas ocean cruisers CANT go.There are tradeoffs.:)

Hi Alexandra,

You know I always mention Tauck when people want a more upscale experience. We're off on our second Tauck River Cruise in August after a very disappointing one on AMA. Why don't you give Tauck a chance?

Happy sailing!!

Sheila

a Tauck ship,,but noticed it only had french balconies and I loved that about the AMAcerto,,,to have regular one to sit and watch the scenery in private.

Would DEFININTELY give Tauck a try,,if they get the new longships and if itinerary one I want...my only drawback has been the price(seems a lot higher) and fear they include all the excursions(which I rarely take) in price.

But do know you like them,,and have had bad experience on AMA(but wasnt that Russia)?? We also had similar problems with Viking there.Think it MAY be the country and older boats??

Never rule out anything,,try it once,,etc...sort of my motto.Thanks for heads up..:)

Hi Alexandra,

If you don't want to take the excursions, it sure would be a waste of money to book Tauck. We love Tauck because all the excursions are included and they even add some wonderful extras. I don't have to put on my thinking cap -- it's all done for me and in a very special way. They really care about their customers.

Happy cruising.

Sheila

Archived