Baltic or Mediterranean?

Adirondack1

My husband and I and our friends went on the Alaskan Cruise last summer and loved it, so we're looking at another for next year, but can't decide between the Baltic or the Mediterranean. I would appreciate any advice, information, details if anyone has gone on either or both. I've read a few of the forums and it sounds like many more children on the Med cruise. Also, what side trips are available? Plus, I find it hard to navigate this site. It seems to me that last spring I was able to email reviewers directly with questions. How do I do that? Thanks, Karen

It is difficult to compare Baltic and Med as there are so many more Med cruise choices. I think most people who choose the Baltic are looking to visit St Petersburg, and possibly Moscow.

With the Med you have a lot more options, such as Venice, Istanbul, Greek Islands, Turkey, the list is endless.

Depending on time of year, the weather will be very different between the Baltics - chilly perhaps, and blazing hot in the Med.

As for children, if you are considering Silversea, I think only the Spirit is likely to have a higher number on board. The most children I have have ever seen on a SS cruise is 4 (teenagers) If you choose a cruise and avoid the school holidays, that will help too.

Cant help with the email question, sorry.

Echoing spotlottydog. If you avoid the European school holidays, it's unlikely that you'll find many children onboard.

Italy school year finishes in mid June, France early July, England mid July. They will all be back at school by mid September. So if you can avoid mid June to mid September you should be fine.

We did a Mediterranean in late September and didn't see any children. Weather was gorgeous! I would highly recommend it.

We have cruised Northern Europe and will be doing the British Isles shortly, but not all that interested in the Baltic, so can't help you there!

My husband and I and our friends went on the Alaskan Cruise last summer and loved it, so we're looking at another for next year, but can't decide between the Baltic or the Mediterranean. I would appreciate any advice, information, details if anyone has gone on either or both. I've read a few of the forums and it sounds like many more children on the Med cruise. Also, what side trips are available? Plus, I find it hard to navigate this site. It seems to me that last spring I was able to email reviewers directly with questions. How do I do that? Thanks, Karen

Good questions, Karen!! Ravenscroft and spotlottydog have given some background details. The bigger question is about what you seek, need, like, etc. Tell us more about you and what you desire!! What is your rough budget range/flexibility, ages, personal and travel interests, past Europe travel experience, etc.?? How much are you interested in history? Countryside vs. cities? Museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? How for sailing in area that can warm to very hot versus an area that mostly in the upper 60's to 70's? Time of year for the cruise? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

We have done 22 different countries in Europe, many during four different cruise there, including the Baltics, Norway/fjords, Med and the Greek isles-Turkish Coast. Plus, lots by land/car/train, including multiple trips in France, Italy, Germany, England, etc.

One of the reasons for posting on these boards, as we answer questions here, is that others can share, see the discussions, learn more, etc., etc. Some folks are "shy" and/or not sure on what they are seeking to know and ask. As they read some of the "back and forth" between others, they realize that all of us started out less knowledgeable and experience. The only way to learn is to research, ask questions, keep digging deeper and deeper, etc.

Feel free to post and ask more. The only "dumb question" is the one you don't ask.

First, tell us more on you and your husband so that we can better help you figure out the "fit" between the Med versus the Baltics. Both are super wonderful and a cruise is a great way to see lots there in a short time period.

To be "fair and balanced", below are three each for some of the "best of the best" for some of my pictures from each of these great areas. Both are wonderful. Once you visit one area, then you'll want to do lots more in Europe. See lots of the Med from my live/blog noted below. Many, many great options in the Med.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 74,053 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 65,490 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such painting by this artist existing in the world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place AND museum. It is both!:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

Don’t miss the sail-in and/or sail-out for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

In Dubrovnik, we started with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing this unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

This is the dramatic front view of St. Peters and the Square with the beautiful sky over this historic setting in Rome.:

RomeStPetersFrontView.jpg

Both cruise locations are on our "bucket list" or at least the Med was until this past March when we did Barcelona to Istanbul on the Wind. Almost impossible to say what we saw on that 14-day cruise, truly a cruise of a lifetime. The Baltic is high on our list now and we'd probably go there before we went back to the Med but it's darn hard to beat the Med especially if you get to Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Florence, Naples, Pisa, Rome, Athens, and Istanbul just to name a few of our stops. :)

My wife and I have done a couple of cruises on European ships in October. A fair number of school-age children were on board each time (maybe mid-October school breaks?).

Mid October is indeed another school break time, but if you avoid 7 day cruises during that time it would be unusual to have a lot of children on the ship. In my experience Silversea doesn't attract too many children anyway, especially on the longer cruises. I'm surprised that you had a 'fair number' of children on your SS cruises at that time of year - chalk it up to bad luck perhaps! ;)

Again I'd echo the other comments, avoid mid June to mid September and all should be ok on lines like SS and SB etc. If a cruise can only be taken during those summer months I'd say to absolutely avoid July and August. I believe that there are often quite a high number of children on Crystal so that may be one to avoid during school hols. But we're talking here about Silversea and not Crystal.

As for destination, I haven't taken a Baltic cruise, although it's on my bucket list. For a first cruise recommendation in Europe I'd have to go with a Mediterranean cruise - so much to see, gorgeous weather if you choose the right months, history everywhere you look and the sheer beauty of the Mediterranean region itself. But I'm biased!

As for destination, I haven't taken a Baltic cruise, although it's on my bucket list. For a first cruise recommendation in Europe I'd have to go with a Mediterranean cruise - so much to see, gorgeous weather if you choose the right months, history everywhere you look and the sheer beauty of the Mediterranean region itself. But I'm biased!

At the risk of not knowing much about you or what your interests are, I would have to agree with Nigella as far as a first cruise recommendation in Europe: the Med. Wonderful weather, so much variety in terms of countries, history, beauty and food. And ideally suited to a cruise--you can see so much and so many different places in a limited amount of time.

We were on the Spirit last summer (end July) from Athens to Istanbul. Very few kids and the ones there were well behaved. Maybe 6 in total. No big deal.

I guess the question is - where do you want to go? Find an itinerary that looks good to you. I suppose it is like picking a restaurant for a Saturday night out. Do you want Italian or Steak? Different restaurants, but neither choice is bad...

Thanks for the replies. I'm a teacher myself so I have to vacation June- August and because I spend my days with kids, don't want to vacation with them. :) The only reason I asked was I read some reviews of the Med. cruise where people said there were many kids on

board without any activities to keep them company.

Our first and only cruise was last year to Alaska. I have a feeling that nothing will be able to compare! The scenery, wildlife, outdoorsy parts are what we're after, but we also want to go with the couple we traveled with before so we are willing to make some concessions. Just thought I'd put the question out there and see what people loved.

I taught for a few years, so I understand the goal of vacationing without kids. And I also agree that Alaskan cruises are incredible!

But our Mediterranean cruise was also very memorable. We had private tours in both Rome and Athens, and the history that we experienced in both those places gave us goosebumps . We enjoyed beautiful scenery in Capri and fully intend to return to Italy to see more of this area. Deciding on an itinerary is a difficult choice, but as one poster suggested, it will probably come down to what you want to see and experience. And, perhaps, schedule.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a teacher myself so I have to vacation June- August and because I spend my days with kids, don't want to vacation with them. The only reason I asked was I read some reviews of the Med. cruise where people said there were many kids on board without any activities to keep them company. Our first and only cruise was last year to Alaska. I have a feeling that nothing will be able to compare! The scenery, wildlife, outdoorsy parts are what we're after, but we also want to go with the couple we traveled with before so we are willing to make some concessions. Just thought I'd put the question out there and see what people loved.

Appreciate, Karen, the added information on your background and interests. That helps much!! As I mentioned, we have loved BOTH the Med and Baltics. From our experience last June, if you can do the Med earlier to mid June, you don't have quite the numbers of kids (as many schools in Europe are still in session). Plus, it is less likely to be as hot there. There's some dramatic scenery along the Croatian Coast, plus in some of the Greek Isles, parts of Italy, etc., that is so scenic and interesting. See a couple of my pictures below. Many, many options to consider in these areas of the Med.

You didn't mention much on history, architecture and culture. Those three are super great in the Baltics. With your interest in nature, there are some great options up the Norway coast that we did in July 2010 for the fjords, Lofoten Islands, up to the North Cape, etc. Below are some of my pictures as samples for a little of what you can enjoy there. Lots more info from my live/blog that is linked below. In Norway, compared to Alaska, you are much closer to the dramatic scenes. The word "fjord" was invented in Norway as this is where they have "IT". If you liked Alaska, I think you would love the Norway Coast. Late June and July are the best times to visit these areas. Norway and the Baltics are generally more costly than the Med. Don't know how flexible is your budget situation. Places that are a little higher on the cost scale do tend to lessen the "mass" and crowds that you are seemingly seeking to avoid.

Let us know your added questions and reactions!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 66,907 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 74,533 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata during our private tour for our small group through RomeInLimo. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground along the Norway coast.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

This is one of my many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks. We had a private boat from is the harbor in Gjesvaer near the North Cape.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point at this spot along the Norway coast. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice from all. My husband and I enjoyed many Silversea cruises in the Mediterranean, all in July or August. Weather was sunny and lovely. On all of these cruises, there were few, if any, children. I think Silversea's lack of children's programs (and possibly the distance from the U.S.) has something to do with that.

One thing we love about the Med/Adriatic/Aegean is that the ship sometimes anchors (as opposed to tying up at a pier) and this makes for truly stunning views of ancient towns, views you won't get from land (often, with no other ships in sight!). Tendering ashore on Silversea is quick and easy.

But take some time to consider the kind of experience you're looking for: cosmopolitan capitals? quaint little towns? Do you want to fill your days with excursions to museums, cathedrals, palaces? or take things at a more leisurely, unstructured pace.

As to excursions, you'll find the information on Silversea's website. For each cruise, just click on the excursions tab to see what's available (if the date is too far away and nothing is listed yet, just go to a closer-in cruise with that port and you'll find pretty much what you're looking for) - and if you click on each port, you'll get an idea of what the port features, whether the ship is scheduled to dock or anchor, how far you are from the port's central area, etc. Lots of good info to get you started.

Isn't it wonderful to be able to weigh such amazing choices on Silversea ??!!

Archived