Spanish IVA or Vat Tax?

ponza17

Makes you think twice before sailing out of Barcelona, right?

We sailed on the Epic last October out of Barcelona and loved it. I have to say though, the VAT tax definitely added to our on-board bill. Maybe it's better to cruise out of Rome for a Mediterranean cruise?!?!?!?!?

I was looking at the NCL Spirit that goes to the Canary Islands but I am afraid of that VAT tax again!

-aj

Makes you think twice before sailing out of Barcelona, right?

We sailed on the Epic last October out of Barcelona and loved it. I have to say though, the VAT tax definitely added to our on-board bill. Maybe it's better to cruise out of Rome for a Mediterranean cruise?!?!?!?!?

I was looking at the NCL Spirit that goes to the Canary Islands but I am afraid of that VAT tax again!

-aj

We did a Canary cruise on NCL and the SPanish VAT did not apply. Apparently the Canaries and Madeira have a different tax law.

We did a Canary cruise on NCL and the SPanish VAT did not apply. Apparently the Canaries and Madeira have a different tax law.

Hm, maybe those ports are considered outside of the EU or something - I thought they were part of Spain, so I'd be curious to find out why the Spanish VAT didn't apply.

I've noticed for the Epic Western Med cruise, since there is embarkation in both Rome and Barcelona, the Barcelona prices seem lower - maybe people are avoiding Barcelona for reasons like the VAT tax? I certainly would carefully consider sailing from there in the future - maybe it will give the Spanish government a wake-up call that cruise passengers won't put up with such nonsense.

Apparently the Canary Islands are not part of the EU VAT area (like Gibraltar; Vatican City and a few others) therefore VAT is not charged throughout the cruise - only in Spanish territorial waters. The Canary Islands have their own Sales Tax http://www.lowtax.net/lowtax/html/offon/spain/spncan.html

Spanish VAT.pdf

We were on the Jade Canary Island cruise from Málaga 23rd March.

Just checking receipts and the only time we paid the extra 8% vat was when we made purchases whilst the ship was docked in Málaga and Cadiz (due to an itinerary change). This could maybe apply whilst the ship is also docked in Barcelona but we had no purchases there. From what I understood once the ship leaves port and is out of Spanish waters the 8% vat is no longer charged.

Archived