At dinner, does everyone have to attend?

pampaul

We're are a group of 7 who will be on the Fantasy in June. It'll be our family of 4 (Dh, me, Ds15 & Ds16) Then there's DH's sister, her husband and her son, 16)

This will be their 2nd cruise but first with Disney. They were on the Norwegian Jewel previously. This will be our 6th cruise, but 2nd with Disney. All the others, I believe we had anytime dining (except the Disney cruise and maybe the Carnival one from last year)

Anyhow, since our boys are a bit older now, they've said how they might just want to go to the buffet at dinner time except for formal night and probably pirate night (plus I want them there for the show in Animators Palette. Other than that, will it matter if they're in the dining room or the buffet?

We're are a group of 7 who will be on the Fantasy in June. It'll be our family of 4 (Dh, me, Ds15 & Ds16) Then there's DH's sister, her husband and her son, 16)

This will be their 2nd cruise but first with Disney. They were on the Norwegian Jewel previously. This will be our 6th cruise, but 2nd with Disney. All the others, I believe we had anytime dining (except the Disney cruise and maybe the Carnival one from last year)

Anyhow, since our boys are a bit older now, they've said how they might just want to go to the buffet at dinner time except for formal night and probably pirate night (plus I want them there for the show in Animators Palette. Other than that, will it matter if they're in the dining room or the buffet?

Whoever wishes may show up for your assigned dining time. I will point out 2 things: 1) the buffet is sit-down table service for dinner with a limited menu pulled from the menus available in the other dining rooms, and; 2) be sure to let your server know if anyone is missing, so he won't wait for them to show up to start service.

:)

Whoever wishes may show up for your assigned dining time. I will point out 2 things: 1) the buffet is sit-down table service for dinner with a limited menu pulled from the menus available in the other dining rooms, and; 2) be sure to let your server know if anyone is missing, so he won't wait for them to show up to start service.

Oh, didn't realize this. So it's not your typical buffet food? It's the same food from the restaurants?

I'll have to ask them if that's something they'd be interested in. What about other food options (like burgers, chicken strips, pizza, etc) Can't remember the names of these places. Will they be open at dinner time?

I'll have to ask them if that's something they'd be interested in. What about other food options (like burgers, chicken strips, pizza, etc) Can't remember the names of these places. Will they be open at dinner time?

Yes, the quick serve locations on the pool deck will be open.

Oh, didn't realize this. So it's not your typical buffet food? It's the same food from the restaurants?

Actually, only somewhat. While it's not buffet, it does have other stuff on it than is on the regular menus in the restaurant - it had I think 3 different cuts of steak, and your choice of several different sides.

When we ate there on the Dream, it was a lot quicker than the regular restaurant and the food was fresher, hotter and better. Our service in Cabanas was also outstanding.

As an FYI, Cabanas is not open for dinner on either the first night or the last night of the cruise.

Here are some pictures:

disneycruiseplusotherstuff778-1.jpg

disneycruiseplusotherstuff771.jpg

disneycruiseplusotherstuff780.jpg

disneycruiseplusotherstuff782.jpg

disneycruiseplusotherstuff777.jpg

disneycruiseplusotherstuff770.jpg

Mmm can't wait to try all the yummy foood .. Although was just reading a review that the food isn't that yummy :(

scratchchin.gif (Sigh...) I don't know where this keeps popping up from, I've not seen a review that the food isn't that good.

While, I admit, the food isn't 5 (or maybe even 4) star, I think is quite good. There may be specific food items that are less than stellar, but overall I think DCL food runs pretty much along the lines of most mass-market cruiselines. Adequate, sometimes good, occasionally poor.

scratchchin.gif (Sigh...) I don't know where this keeps popping up from, I've not seen a review that the food isn't that good.

While, I admit, the food isn't 5 (or maybe even 4) star, I think is quite good. There may be specific food items that are less than stellar, but overall I think DCL food runs pretty much along the lines of most mass-market cruiselines. Adequate, sometimes good, occasionally poor.

No everyone agrees that the food isn't bad. Maybe not on this board, but I am aware of reviews where the food is listed as not good (and had I done a review of my Disney Dream cruises last October, I would have been one of them).

Food is subjective, and while one person finds it good, another person may find it quite poor.

Service can also impact on the quality of your food - if it arrives at your table lukewarm (or even cold) or dried out (like it had been sitting for a while), the person's impression of the food may be poor.

My oldest son (13) only went to dinner with us 3 nights, we told our servers early on not to worry about him. One night neither of our boys came to dinner, one was eating with the Kids Club, so the wait staff made a napkin candle for us at our table and made it date night, my wife was impressed!

Disney food has always been okay with a few moments of really good. I've been on over 20 disney cruises and I haven't really noticed a decline. I would compare it to hotel banquet food.

Eating in cabanas/topsider/beach blanket is table service (at dinner, buffet for lunch and breakfast) but it seems faster than main dining rooms. You can order room service whenever you want. No one will stop you if you want to take it and enjoy it at a table on deck. Pizza, burgers, hot dogs and sandwiches available thru out most of the day. Pizza open later than the burger/hotdog place. Anyone not wanting the dining room experience will have plenty of options. Your regular service people will not mind if some members of the party skip a night of two.

Just please remember that they rely on those tips so please don't deduct for a night you were not there. Those same restaurant workers work at breakfast and lunch and many of them work at castaway. If you tip you dinner servers it all evens out. So even if you didn't see your staff at lunch or breakfast - they are working somewhere. Hope this makes sense. It's late and I'm tired.

I think you just gave a review indicating that the food isn't good. If I'm going to sit through a two hour dinner, adequate isn't going to cut it. Pretension does not equal quality.

I think you just gave a review indicating that the food isn't good. If I'm going to sit through a two hour dinner, adequate isn't going to cut it. Pretension does not equal quality.

I agree with you.

IT IS NOT WORTH THE TIME SPENT GETTING READY FOR DINNER AND THEN THE POMP AND PAGEANTRY OF THE DINNER ITSELF.

My next cruise, I am going to eat on the pool deck, watching the sea go by and the wind on my face and smell of the sea in my nostrils :p

Dressing up and dining on a cruise ship is a part of the cruise experience especially on the Disney ships where they try hard to make it a memorable one with the rotational dining and the elaborately themed dining rooms. Whether the food is excellent or just good, 4 stars or three stars makes very little difference to me. It's still good.

Dressing up and dining on a cruise ship is a part of the cruise experience especially on the Disney ships where they try hard to make it a memorable one with the rotational dining and the elaborately themed dining rooms. Whether the food is excellent or just good, 4 stars or three stars makes very little difference to me. It's still good.

thumbsup2.gifThank you.

I agree the service is great and the design of the dining rooms fits with the ships very well. It's a pity they have servers who are for the most part excellent serving such mediocre food.

It's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. It does make a difference to me if the food is "excellent or just good, 4 stars or 3 stars"...and unfortunately, IMO none of those describe the food on DCL.

It was worth experiencing the dinner service, once only.

On my repeat cruises on the Fantasy and Dream, I will have dinner in the Cabana on the pool deck, sitting by the sea side windows , peacefully watching the sea, without the assault on the senses experienced in the MDRs :D

Agreed! Add to that, if the wait staff recommends a particular dish, take it to heart. We went went almost 100% with their suggestions and the meals were great. If we asked them what about *fill in the blank meal option*, they would never bash it, but I could read their face that they did not like it.

I agree the service is great and the design of the dining rooms fits with the ships very well. It's a pity they have servers who are for the most part excellent serving such mediocre food.

It's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. It does make a difference to me if the food is "excellent or just good, 4 stars or 3 stars"...and unfortunately, IMO none of those describe the food on DCL.

I thought the dining room food was good, but our dining room servers were mediocre on 2 of our 3 Bahamas cruises.

Archived