Renting a car in Halifax

Does anyone have information on renting a car in Halifax. I checked with one rental car company and their Pickup information stated Cruise Ship/via Rail. Where is the most convenient place to pick up a rental car from the ship pier? Thank you. Beachgirl

The Via rail mentioned is the Train Station at the Westin Hotel just a few minutes away from the cruise pier.

Here is some information I have saved in my notes:

We decided to rent a car for the day. Enterprise will pick us up at pier & drop us off and the cost is under $60 for the day.

There is an Alamo location in the Westin Hotel on Hollis St. The back of the Hotel is across the street from the port and is less than a 5 minute walk. There is a Budget location on Hollis St which would be about a 10 minute walk. Enterprise is much farther away in Scotia Square (a small mall in an office tower) and would be about 20-25 minutes walk, however they may pick you up. Hertz is in the Marriott Hotel on Hollis St about 20 minutes away.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154976-i327-k4804493-Trip_Report_Cruise_docked_in_Halifax-Halifax_Halifax_Regional_Municipality_Nova_Scotia.html#36133733

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1123125

Feel so stupid here.....I copied MaryAnn's directions and went to paste it into my "everything in one place spreadsheet" and discovered it was already there....must have picked it up long ago from another of your postings!:D

Thanks for the helpful information and links. We usually rent from National so can also use the Enterprise van if available - worked well on recent cruise to Hawaii. Looking forward to October cruise on Regatta.

Just spoke with Halifax National office at via Rail - they do not pick up at the pier because they are so busy when a ship comes in; not enough staff to handle pick ups. Since we belong to Emerald Club they will have our paperwork & car ready...no Emerald Isle. As mentioned, via Rail is a five minute walk from the pier accessed from the back parking lot of Westin Hotel. Now, how to squeeze everything we want to see & do into one day!

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Halifax on June 4, and I called and reserved a car from Enterprise. They didn't even ask for a credit card. They told me to call as we were getting ready to disembark from the ship, and they would pick us up at the pier. The man I spoke to said the office was approximately 10 minutes from the pier. The phone number is (902)446-4388. The mid-size car we are renting (think Toyota Camry) is approximately $60 for the day.

Archived