Skagway Train - Only going to go one way. Which?

The J Project

We just want to go one way, either up or down...booking a tour with Dave Dyea Tours and he recommended taking the tour up and the train down, but i'm curious as to whether he's suggesting that for his schedule benefit or for the benefit of the best train ride for us. Anyone have any input?

http://www.thejproject2010.blogspot.com

I see a con with tour up being - scheduling to get to the train on time. Seriously, if you saw a bear on the side of the road & wanted to stop to get some pictures, but heard, "We have to mee the train." how happy would you be?

If you took the train up, if would be "on" the tour guide to get there to pick you up.

(I do not have any first hand experience, these are just my thought on what "could" happen.)

I see a con with tour up being - scheduling to get to the train on time. Seriously, if you saw a bear on the side of the road & wanted to stop to get some pictures, but heard, "We have to mee the train." how happy would you be?

If you took the train up, if would be "on" the tour guide to get there to pick you up.

(I do not have any first hand experience, these are just my thought on what "could" happen.)

I dont agree, none of the usual operators have that tight of schedules. Both directions allow random stops, with extra time factored in.

I have to agree with Budget Queen, schedules are not that tight - for either the train or the bus - and the distance each travels is not that great that a few minutes of "bear watching" would cause you to miss the train and that all of this is factored in to the tour operator's offerings.

Down... best overall view as you don't have to turn around as much to get the long views back down it just rolls out in front of you.

Sit on the Right side if you can going down.

The up and down return trips.... go up on the right side as you face inland.. you will be allowed to switch over for the other going down.

The train does not turn around.

The up and down return trips.... go up on the right side as you face inland.. you will be allowed to switch over for the other going down.

Or just sit across from the bathroom and have the viewing side in both directions.

We just want to go one way, either up or down...booking a tour with Dave Dyea Tours and he recommended taking the tour up and the train down, but i'm curious as to whether he's suggesting that for his schedule benefit or for the benefit of the best train ride for us. Anyone have any input?

http://www.thejproject2010.blogspot.com

I did a lot of research on this very issue prior to making reservations. We will be in Skagway in mid-August, and in the morning it can be very foggy. So, going up by train through fog, we may not be able to see anything.

We will be using Dyea Dave for the tour up, and then taking the train back from Fraser. I think this gives the best of both worlds.

Down... best overall view as you don't have to turn around as much to get the long views back down it just rolls out in front of you.

Sit on the Right side if you can going down.

You can get outside on the platform at the ends of each car. Great place to take photos.

Rick

I did a lot of research on this very issue prior to making reservations. We will be in Skagway in mid-August, and in the morning it can be very foggy. So, going up by train through fog, we may not be able to see anything.

We will be using Dyea Dave for the tour up, and then taking the train back from Fraser. I think this gives the best of both worlds.

This is not true. Fog happens just as often in the afternoon. There is no way predict. Hope for the best. Rarely is the fog solid anyway. It comes and goes.

I prefer the views & narration going up and would want to sit on the left side . I agree with BQ about the seats adjacent to the restroom, but I am more inclined to trade sides for the obvious reason. As for fog, fog forms at lower elevations, what you may encounter at any time are low clouds which do come and go.

We enjoyed going up first last year. Unfortunately by the time our tour with Chilkoot got us to the train all the seats on the left were taken. So don't be surprised if that happens. It was not a problem as people moved around and out to the platforms for photos.

On the way up mid morning we went in and out of fog near the station....it was eerie and actually quite enjoyable in a spooky sort of way.

Chilkoot did a fantastic tour for us. They were there to meet the train...we had time to wander about before we took off to Emerald Lake, a MUST SEE in my opinion. we were fortunate to have a glorious day...warm and sunny where it had bee drizzle and chilly in town.

On the way back a mamma bear and her 3 cubs were spotted heading up to the road from the woods. Our driver pulled off immediately and we were treated to the most incredible sight of this beautiful family. Mamma kept those 3 in line, sometimes with just a glance and they hung right beside our van for some time, allowing some of the best photos of the whole trip. Seriously, she was so close to my window I could have reached out to pat her.....assuming I had no further need for that arm of course! We were awed by these amazing creatures and it was the most fitting end to what had been a terrific day for all of us.

I might add we had numerous stops for photo ops along the way, all graciously accommodated by our excellent driver.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

This is probably just me. But having gone each direction, I found going up to offer better views for taking photos on the platform. The train travels a little slower going up than down. Also going up I was able to see further ahead to anticipate photo shots. Going down seemed the curves prevented from knowing what photo shots to take. But then perhaps photography is not your thing.

This is probably just me. But having gone each direction, I found going up to offer better views for taking photos on the platform. The train travels a little slower going up than down. Also going up I was able to see further ahead to anticipate photo shots. Going down seemed the curves prevented from knowing what photo shots to take. But then perhaps photography is not your thing.

Photography's not really my thing, but somehow the idea of going up in a train appeals to me; I don't really know why!

Archived