Mexican law - must have done scuba < 12 mo

jekajada

I got back a couple of weeks ago from the DCL Mexican Riviera and to my great disappointment, I was not allowed to go on the scuba excursion. DCL was a stickler for the "Mexican law" that requires certified divers to have done a dive WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS.

Because my list scuba outing was > 12 months ago (but < 24 mo) they would NOT let me go, but suggested I do the intro dive first on Cabo day 1, then the certified dive on Cabo day 2. Unfortunately, being the only certified member in my family, I could not sacrifice both days like this so I simply missed out on the scuba dives.

I had no idea Mexican law was so strict. And in my experience if it's been within a reasonable amount of time (like < 2 years) then they let you go.

Is this what everyone else is experiencing?

• 3 weeks later...

A couple times diving in Mexico (not on a cruise) it'd been over a year since my water dive. Each time I went back to my local dive shop and did a Review course. Super simple. A bit of paperwork review review, then two hours in a pool, it went in my log and they updated my card with a little sticker.

I agree - as the only diver in the family I'm not going to spend two days getting "re-certified" while on vacation. I didn't know if anyone was going to enforce the whole 12-month thing, but I'd rather spend a couple hours at home covering my bases!

A couple times diving in Mexico (not on a cruise) it'd been over a year since my water dive. Each time I went back to my local dive shop and did a Review course. Super simple. A bit of paperwork review review, then two hours in a pool, it went in my log and they updated my card with a little sticker.

I agree - as the only diver in the family I'm not going to spend two days getting "re-certified" while on vacation. I didn't know if anyone was going to enforce the whole 12-month thing, but I'd rather spend a couple hours at home covering my bases!

In hindsight, I'm convinced it was DCCL themselves that was the stickler. So I just wish I had known this beforehand so as not to waste the opportunity. I hope this thread will serve as a warning to others to make sure their last dive was < 1 year or be booted from the scuba excursion by DCCL.

In mexico, there were two scuba places who weren't being sticklers on the issue.

I just went on a dive last week and had no issues. Well, except I forgot my Bonine and got a little queasy on the boat ride. :)

I was worried about that so I did a refresher dive a couple of weeks before my cruise. When filling out the paperwork, they asked when my last dive was but no one asked for my dive log so I could've put anything. The dive was through Cabo Adventures and I booked through Carnival.

Archived