Decorating your door!

CruzerDeb

We didn't decorate, and only saw 1 door that was decorated on the entire cruise. It was for a child's birthday.

Our next cruise will be our daughter's 1st. I may put something small/simple on our door just to help her tell which cabin is ours.

I wonder if window clings would stick to the door and stay for a whole week. They seem simple, inexpensive, and wouldn't take up much luggage space at all.

Be very careful if you use cling type decorations(especially red ones) since some posts have said they have left a colored stain on the wall or door before that cannot be removed with cleaning products. The passengers were charged with door or wall panel replacements(ie hundreds of dollars). Better to try a magnet or graphic element other than gels.

I decorate our door every cruise and my DD, who is 13, and I enjoy figuring out a theme. Last cruise on Legend to Alaska was over the 4th of July, so we decorated the door with red/white/blue themed items. We use Sticky Tack to put the decorations on the door. It's not so much for us to be able to find the room, but it's something we enjoy doing.

On my only cruise (new to cruising) I didn't fully decorate my door but did fun thoughts for the day which I changed each day e.g. The other day someone told me that I could make ice cubes with leftover wine. I was confused.. what is leftover wine? I did find people stopping at my door on the way past to read my door and it gave me a smile everyday.

We decorated our door on Disney. It was pretty much the norm there. LOL. I have a million (give or take a few) "magnets" at home that we made for our Disney cruise (mainly laminated graphics with a magnet on them. We have a metal door at home so we have them on our front/back door and refrigerator.

Have seen some doors decorated on Carnival, but not so many. Haven't done it myself. I would be nice to help find the room, especially if you are not near an elevator bank. When you are "tired from so much fun" (or drunk- you know whatever:D), the doors start look all the same, the hallways are long and numbers can start dancing around in your head. It might help with that. :rolleyes:

I've been on 6 cruises & only did door decorations on 1 (Valor repo 1 year ago today!). I was sailing for the 3rd time with my best friend so we made a small poster with photos from our past 2 cruises together & added scrapbooking cruise stickers. We also added streamers & balloons. As the balloons fell off we quickly realized that was stupid & removed them (balloons were banned shortly after that trip... oops). It was fun honestly & some people around the ship recognized us from our door. We did use tape but I spent some serious time the last morning ensuring I removed every last piece.

I may consider doing another small poster of photos for my October cruise with the kids with photos from our last (their first). It was fun, but I definitely don't have the creative energyof many I've seen here.

For those of you who have cruised a lot (and that's most people here, right?), do you decorate your door and/or see a lot of doors that have been decorated?

I've only been on one cruise so far (another booked in 400+ days!) and don't recall seeing any doors that were decorated.

See NEW door decorating rules.

• 1 year later...

We haven't done it before but will on our upcoming cruise so it's a little easier for the 3 year old to find our cabin. Yes, we are always with him when he's in the hallway, but it's a little more fun for him and he feels "important" when he gets to the door first.

Its so enjoyable to see decorated doors going down a hallway and yes I have used them as a compass to my room. I immediately think these cruisers are having a great time and planned every detail of their vacation. I say kudos and hope to see more on my November sailing!

I decorate my door every single cruise and have fun doing so. The last sailing I was on I saw only a few others, like 2 but that was only from 2 decks that I walked down both hallways. I recall more doors being decorated years ago. I know we have the flame retardant rules now but my room steward didn't have us remove our Dollar Store paper decor. We actually received nice comments from some neighbors in that it helped them get to their stateroom easier.

I wonder if there are more door decorations during the summer when there are lots of kids on board? I don't sail at those times.

I always decorate our doors. Started my first cruise which was a Disney Cruise-- almost everyone does it on DCL. I continued on Carnival 2 years ago and will in February as well. I ask someone on the DIs facebooked group to make me generic cruise pictures (they usually create Disney ones) and I print them out and lamnate them and put them up with magnets. Love to do it! But Im also the mom who makes matching t-shirts for embarkation day.

Last year for Halloween we took 2 skeletons that fit nicely on our mailbox. I had their feet and hands arranged to where they were hugging each other. I put battery operated lights around them. The lights came on every night at the same time and stayed on for 4 hours. Everyone got a laugh out of them. Two cabins down, someone set up a pumpkin with candy in it for people and they also decorated their door. I've seen several doors decorated on my travels. It's fun to see who is celebrating a birthday or anniversary.