public bus to rockley beach

Karlie1

:cool:We will be in Barbados in Oct on the Victory. I want to take the public bus to Rockley beach to see the pink sand. Then head back to Carlyle Bay to snorkel the wrecks. I have read about everything I can and still can't figure out where to catch the bus. Can anyone help. I really enjoy riding the local buses when they are available.

South of the cruise terminal building is the south port gate. Just outside the gate is a traffic circle, where all the cabs and chartered vans wait for passengers.

A block or two south of that along Princess Alice Hwy. (just past Pelican Village) is the Princess Alice Bus Terminal.

Once you get there, talk to one of the bus drivers. The locals are very friendly and always willing to help out with directions.

If you can catch a bus there that runs south along Hwy.7, you're all set. Tell the driver you want to go to Rockley Beach. The stop is close to the Side Shore Bar. It's about 15-20 minutes or so from B'Town.

If there are no southound buses at P. Alice, then you will be directed further south to the Fairchild Street Terminal - about 8-10 blocks.

IIRC, most buses running south of B'Town stop at Fairchild, and those running north stop at P. Alice.

The local buses, especially the ZR's, are the best entertainment!

Cheers, P:)

Thanks Aimodels. I found Princess terminal on Google and printed the map. That looks easy enough. If we have to go to Fairchild terminal, I don't think my wife could handle that. What would you recommend?:cool:

Thanks Aimodels. I found Princess terminal on Google and printed the map. That looks easy enough. If we have to go to Fairchild terminal, I don't think my wife could handle that. What would you recommend?:cool:

Chances are that you will have to go to the bus stop south of town to grab a bus going south towards Rockley: the Fairchild Street terminal if you want to be “civilized” and use the Government buses, or the “Nursey Drive Minibus and ZR Terminal” if you want the ZR experience. IMHO ZRs are a lot more entertaining, and run a lot more often, but FYI they are just tiny Toyota minivans hold up to 15 people.

If your wife can't make the walk to the southern bus terminals, the port has shuttles that run to and from the city. IIRC, it was $2pp each way.

If you plan on spending time at Carlisle Bay, here's a suggestion...

Catch a cab or shuttle from the cruise terminal (or the traffic circle at the south gate) to the Boatyard Bar at Carlisle. You will likely find other people on your ship that will want to go there also, so you might be able to split cab fare.

For $10 or $12, you get admission into the Boatyard (wristband) which includes the use of their beach equipment, a drink and a ride back to the cruise ship.

Snorkel the wrecks, chill with the turtles, hang out on the beach for a bit, whatever...

IIRC, a bit further south along the beach is public access, so you don't necessarily have to go through the Boatyard to leave the beach and catch a bus. Hwy.7 (Bay St.) runs parallel to the beach, about 100 yards inland.

Take the bus to Rockley - should take about 10 minutes or so. Both beaches are right along Hwy. 7, which is a main drag for all the buses - the big blue gov't buses, the yellow mini buses and the white ZR's.

They all cost the same and they all hit the same stops. Round trip Rockley/Carlisle will cost you $2USD ($1 each way).

Hang out at Rockley, swim (check out the small reef about 150 yards out from the Side Shore Bar), maybe have a bite to eat (they have a beach shower), then catch the bus back to the Boatyard.

The wristband should allow you to get back in without paying again.

Hang out at the Boatyard for a bit, and catch a ride back to the cruise ship... If you're still wearing your wristband, the cost of the ride back to the ship should be included...

(Edit) If you can catch a shuttle to Nursey Drive, then take a mini or ZR to Rockley first, then hit Carlisle on the way back. Probably easier.

Thanks. Where can I catch the shuttle to take us to Nursery Drive Minibus and Z terminal. From there I can catch a bus to Rockley Beach, see Pink sand ,snorkel reef then hop bus back to Carlisle Bay. I want to go to Copacabana Beach Bar and Grill. After that jump on bus back to cruise port. Is this right.

Thanks. Where can I catch the shuttle to take us to Nursery Drive Minibus and Z terminal. From there I can catch a bus to Rockley Beach, see Pink sand ,snorkel reef then hop bus back to Carlisle Bay. I want to go to Copacabana Beach Bar and Grill. After that jump on bus back to cruise port. Is this right.

You literally can't miss the taxi drivers hawking the shuttle service when you walk out of the terminal. It's a “tourist” shuttle that runs from inside the port area to downtown Bridgetown, which is why it costs twice as much to go about one mile as the ZRs charge to go across the island. ;-)

You would still need to walk a tiny bit to get from downtown to either the Nursey Drive or Fairchild Street Terminals.

Carlisle Bay is a very popular destination for cruise ship passengers. I guarantee you that you'll have no trouble finding a few other folks who would be willing to share a cab to Carlisle.

Once there, catching the bus south to Rockley is a easy. They drive on the left, so you have to cross Bay St. to catch a southbound bus. Look for a bus stop sign that says "out of city".

Make sure to tell the driver where you want to get off.

Heading back to Carlisle, the bus stop will be on the beach side of the road, with a sign saying "to city".

Get off at Carlisle and cab it back to port. Dead simple.

Warning from a local islander:

If you decide to use the local minibuses (ZR license plates)

don't wear any jewellery!

Local reprobates also use that method of transp.

and are known to snatch bags and pop gold chains off the necks of their very own people :cool:

far less "a rich tourist" like you!

My advice? Get your beach-day started early and efficiently

by catching a taxi (with other folks, in a group?) to Accra/Rockley

and bus it back to Bridgetown, using the big BLUE Government buses.

When you board the big blue Gov't. bus and if you get to sit close to the driver,

you might tell him you want to get off at Boatyard on the way back in.

He won't mind if you talk to him, right as you board.

Chances are he'll make a special stop for you

right at Lobster Alive or Boatyard's entrance -or the nearest safe,convenient spot.

I'll be in BBD next week on Carnival Victory and planned on catching the public bus to Rockley Beach as well. However, the walk to the bus stop sounds a bit far so wondering if grabbing a taxi would be easier and fairly cheap. I saw another thread saying it was only $5 for a taxi to another beach but I don't know where that is compared to Rockley.

Suggestions please?

You're likely thinking of Carlisle Bay, which is just south of Bridgetown. From the north end of Carlisle, where the Boatyard and Lobster Alive are, it's about 2 miles or so to Rockley.

Check out this site:

http://www.barbados.org/tours/barbadostaxis.htm

Rockley is about 3/4 mile north of St. Lawrence Gap/Dover, so $18 BDS one way, according to this website.

Always confirm the price with the driver before getting into the cab, and confirm if you're being quoted $BDS or $USD. $1 USD = $2 BDS.

You might have better luck taking a cab to Carlisle and the bus from there to Rockley.

Wow, if those prices are still accurate I feel really bad for the taxi drivers. If I read other posts correctly it's the price per vehicle and not per person?? It's probably close to impossible to earn a living at those rates and it explains why the taxi drivers are so wishy washy about their rates.

This is my opinion, and my opinion only:

If you can negotiate (within 2-3 minutes) a taxi ride to Accra/Rockley for $5-6USD PER PERSON, just do that. If not, start walking out the port gate and see if one of those taxi drivers will take you at that rate. In the very unlikely event they aren't interested, keep walking to either the Nursey Drive or Fairchild Street Terminals

Aplmac makes a good point. MAKE SURE you understand the whole ZR minivan situation before you get in one. Pick pockets can happen anywhere, but if you are crowded in with 14 others it becomes a lot easier.

FWIW, IMHO anyone wearing expensive jewelry on Caribbean islands, or while heading to any beach is asking for trouble.

If you want the civilized experience, or are nervous about the ZRs, just stick with the big blue government buses. Personally I tend to go MUCH farther out from town so waiting for a Govt bus would be quite some time. Since you guys aren't going that far, I'm GUESSING that the buses drive by much more frequently. If in doubt, ask a local.

Dennis

Buses up and down Hwy.7 are very regular - you never have to wait more than 5-10 minutes.

Never had trouble with jewelry, but we always traveled in a group and always kept an eye on each other....

Never had trouble with jewelry, but we always traveled in a group and always kept an eye on each other....

That's good advice too. To be honest, the absolute biggest threat to your jewelry is loosing it on the beach or in the water. My philosophy is to NEVER bring anything to the beach that I would be upset about if it gets lost, wet, and/or sandy.

Dennis

South of the cruise terminal building is the south port gate. Just outside the gate is a traffic circle, where all the cabs and chartered vans wait for passengers.

A block or two south of that along Princess Alice Hwy. (just past Pelican Village) is the Princess Alice Bus Terminal.

Once you get there, talk to one of the bus drivers. The locals are very friendly and always willing to help out with directions.

If you can catch a bus there that runs south along Hwy.7, you're all set. Tell the driver you want to go to Rockley Beach. The stop is close to the Side Shore Bar. It's about 15-20 minutes or so from B'Town.

If there are no southound buses at P. Alice, then you will be directed further south to the Fairchild Street Terminal - about 8-10 blocks.

IIRC, most buses running south of B'Town stop at Fairchild, and those running north stop at P. Alice.

The local buses, especially the ZR's, are the best entertainment!

We call them round-a-bouts in England :p

Archived