Is the Seward to Anchorage train usually on time?

ellruss

Is the Seward to Anchorage train usually on time?

We have 3 days after our cruise and my husband would like to fish in Seward. This means we would need to leave Seward the same evening as our flight home from Anchorage. (Dock on Friday June 10, fish on Saturday, head out on Sunday.)

The train is supposed to arrive in Anchorage at 10:25pm, our flight is at 12:55am. What sort of risk of missing our flight will we be taking if we do this?

Our other option is to rent a car and drive. Any recommendations where to stop along the way if we make a day of it on Sunday?

It can and does get delayed. You need to allow 20 mins. for a cab after getting your bags- can have a delay there too, if your bag is at the bottom of the bins. Ideally you need a 2 hour window at the Anchorage airport, can encounter long slow lines. You have a good chance of no problems. But for a cushion, a car rental would be better. Hertz is the only one way and expect rates of $200/day, but convenient. Plenty of scenic stops along the way.

Thanks BudgetQueen! (I've been reading lots of your posts and you give alot of helpful info. It is much appreciated!)

What do you think of the motorcoach option? I see that it has a morning as well as the evening departure.

If we decide to drive, would you recommend leaving late Saturday (after my husband's full day of fishing, giving us a full day in Anchorage) or leaving early Sunday for about a half day in Anchorage?

Thanks again!

I'll say you'll be fine making it on time.Don't waste anytime once you get to Anc and calling ahead for a taxi wouldn't be a bad idea either.I've always seen them waiting outside the depot when I've arrived.

Another option for around the same price as a rental car and without the gas and return hassle would be a taxi out of Seward.

Thanks BudgetQueen! (I've been reading lots of your posts and you give alot of helpful info. It is much appreciated!)

What do you think of the motorcoach option? I see that it has a morning as well as the evening departure.

If we decide to drive, would you recommend leaving late Saturday (after my husband's full day of fishing, giving us a full day in Anchorage) or leaving early Sunday for about a half day in Anchorage?

Thanks again!

If the fishing is back by 4pm, you could make the Anchorage drive. But any later, I would leave early the next morning.

Archived