Last cruise 4 years ago ... changes? (& Triumph questions)

stephuney

OK, so ... I am cruising in June and super excited because I havent been on a cruise in four years (I cant believe time gets away so fast), but the last month I have been reading up on cruisecritic and realize there are some changes. These are things I think I have gleaned from other threads but would like some confirmation (or answers where there are just questions)?

Capers are now called Fun Times?

The Lido Deck hamburgers have changed? (Guy burgers? Are they as good)?

The "free" juice has changed? What are the flavors now?

The dress code is more relaxed ... so are jeans and nice shorts really ok?

There is no more Captains dance on formal night (er, elegant night)? And elegant night is not quite as formal (my husband wore a tux once and I wore a long gown once).

What is the minimum age to get into the "dance clubs"?

The hurricane glasses are really gone? Is there some other kind of "souvenier" cup/drink?

Is there a hair dryer in the cabins? I just cant remember (or maybe this is ship specific - I will be on the Triumph).

On two of my three cruises, we ended staying later in Cozumel than what the itinerary said, is that possible/common occurence on the Triumph 5-day?

Security changes ... they shake all your carried-on beverages individually?

What exactly is the "serenity deck"?

In the spa, is the sauna a free or paid service?

I have three kids going (13,17,18) - anything different for them I should know?

Anything else I should know that has changed? (except for MDR changes, I have read all about those and I am not concerned ... thanks)

I appreciate any info ... thanks!!

Steph

Thats a lot of questions.

hamburgers are the same except on ONE ship, liberty.

Only change in juice I noticed was apple juice is now gone in the buffet, 2 left, pass o guava and OJ in the buffet, some others in the mdr on the menu.

I think dress shorts mean, longer shorts .. not just "nice shorts" .. I have seen it listed as dress shorts on the carnival site.

Maybe read thru stuff a little more as your take away on some of these things seems to be you think things have changed more than they have.. lots of good info on CC.

There is no serenity deck on Triumph .. a back pool area with a adult pool, but its surrounded by pizza .. no changes there.

I saw Triumph this past week in Cozumel and she looks good.

Done her 5 times and great ship to me.. a little older, but nice looking still.

Ive been cruising carnival again since 2006 and dont remember a captain DANCE, there used to be free drinks at a party, now replaced by a fun farewell party the last day at 5 pm with free drinks.. just changed to a different date/time. There is a band at the farewell party for dancing ..if you are asking about dancing.

The only time I stayed late in Cozumel was because of a hurricane. Not common.

I dont remember a hair dryer, but wasnt looking for one, sorry. I know conquest class and up has hair dryers. This one Im not sure about.

Not sure about no keepsake glasses. I have the monkey they charge a ridiculous amount for having a drink in that. Sounds like its the DOH glasses that changed, but I dont pay attention, got enough glasses at home and then some.

The spa sauna is free, as is the exercise equipment. There are a few pay classes. The pay spa you are referring to is only on Splendor and Dream class.

This is Triumph .. its a old ship. It doesnt have any of the bells and whistles you seem to be hoping for, sorry. I hope you are not dissapointed.

Try Magic next time if you want these extras? Its a awesome ship and also leaves from Galveston.

PS no pay restaurants on Triumph either. No Sur Mer like on Conquest class upstairs or the Italian like on Magic. No adult areas.

The big changes to be aware of.. you have to carry on your soda or water. Each pax can carry on 12 nonalchoholic drinks and one bottle of wine. the soda can be up to 20 oz.

Capers are now called Fun Times - yes

They know longer offer fruit punch, just tea, lemonade, coffee, and some juices in the mornings

Slacks, shirt and tie ok for formal night. You hardly ever see a tux.

Dance club is 21 and over after certain times. This will be listed in Fun Times.

Souvenier cup with drink of the day is plastic now.

Serenity deck is for 18 and over.

They check all carry on liquids for alcohol.

Most of the new ships have hair dryers or you can ask your stateroom attendant for one.

Tips are now considered prepaid and are charged to credit card on file. They are $11.50 a day.

Hope this helps

Capers are now called Fun Times - yes

They know longer offer fruit punch, just tea, lemonade, coffee, and some juices in the mornings

Slacks, shirt and tie ok for formal night. You hardly ever see a tux.

Dance club is 21 and over after certain times. This will be listed in Fun Times.

Souvenier cup with drink of the day is plastic now.

Serenity deck is for 18 and over.

They check all carry on liquids for alcohol.

Most of the new ships have hair dryers or you can ask your stateroom attendant for one.

Tips are now considered prepaid and are charged to credit card on file. They are $11.50 a day.

Hope this helps

This ship has no serenity area though, so its a moot point?

The glasses were plastic 4 years ago for DODs, some have posted that these plastic glasses are now gone. I dont know if its true or not, since I tend to get other drinks, like margaritas, not the DODs.

Maybe read thru stuff a little more as your take away on some of these things seems to be you think things have changed more than they have.. lots of good info on CC.

This is Triumph .. its a old ship. It doesnt have any of the bells and whistles you seem to be hoping for, sorry. I hope you are not dissapointed.

Thanks for all the info, I always appreciate when someone takes the time to respond ... Just to clarify, I have been reading CC for days on end at length now because I have been on bedrest (and sick to death of it) ... it is just sometimes a little hard to decipher all the info and how it pertains to some ships or not ... as you can see, in just the two responses to this thread there is varying information.

Also, didnt really indicate bells and whistles that I was hoping for ... again, just trying to decipher through all the information to confirm what holds true for Triumph. I dont expect dissappointment! ;)

Thanks for all the info, I always appreciate when someone takes the time to respond ... Just to clarify, I have been reading CC for days on end at length now because I have been on bedrest (and sick to death of it) ... it is just sometimes a little hard to decipher all the info and how it pertains to some ships or not ... as you can see, in just the two responses to this thread there is varying information.

Also, didnt really indicate bells and whistles that I was hoping for ... again, just trying to decipher through all the information to confirm what holds true for Triumph. I dont expect dissappointment! ;)

Triumph is a 1999 ship, and other than standard dry docks, little changed.

Sorry you thought my warning inappropriate and only thanked the other poster, just trying to help as they things you asked about many are what I call bells and whistles.

On almost every other carnival ship, the chinese window in the buffet was closed and mongolian bbq added. This ship didnt even get that yet.

I do like the black marble decorating ..some consider it dark compared to carnival usual neon of that date.

This ship has no serenity area though, so its a moot point?

The glasses were plastic 4 years ago for DODs, some have posted that these plastic glasses are now gone. I dont know if its true or not, since I tend to get other drinks, like margaritas, not the DODs.

I really thought I remembered there being a Serenity Area last year when I was on the Triumph-guess I must be confusing it with one of the other ships I've cruised on.

Triumph is a 1999 ship, and other than standard dry docks, little changed.

Sorry you thought my warning inappropriate and only thanked the other poster, just trying to help as they things you asked about many are what I call bells and whistles.

On almost every other carnival ship, the chinese window in the buffet was closed and mongolian bbq added. This ship didnt even get that yet.

I do like the black marble decorating ..some consider it dark compared to carnival usual neon of that date.

Sorry, I thought I said thanks for the info ... I really do appreciate all the responses! :)

I really thought I remembered there being a Serenity Area last year when I was on the Triumph-guess I must be confusing it with one of the other ships I've cruised on.

Its the same as on conquest .. which personally I like. It has the adult pool and hot tubs in the back. I dont care if children can cross thru the area.

Glory on the other hand actually has the serenity area, which is just chairs and hot tubs, no pool.

I like how it is on Triumph .. just wish it had mongolian bbq :( thats my only dissapointment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just off the Triumph cruised out of Galveston May 26, 2012. Great Ship - older but beautiful, did not see any wear and tear signs - everything was bright & beautiful. The New World Pool area at the back of the Lido Deck is considered "Adult" however, it is in the area by the Off the Grill and Pizza Place - it is a more quiet area than the main Lido Deck Continent pool/hot tubs. Also, the upper decks on the Lido Deck are spacious with lots of lounge chairs and less activity than on the main Lido pool area. There were always lots of chairs available. Also, our cabins were on the Lido deck and at the end of the hallway there is a door that leads out to a "private" deck. It is large & quiet and very few people go there - there are other similar "private" type decks as well: The front decks on 6 (Upper Deck), 7 (Empress Deck), 9 (Lido Deck), and 10 (Panorama Deck) are away from the grind of the regular lido deck and more relaxing (Doors are at the front end of the room halls) - great for watching sunset/sunrises. We had interior cabins (no balconies) so these close by outside decks were great.

Yes, hairdryers in bathroom but only 900 watts & get hot when used - I would suggest you bring your own. They have body wash gel & shampoo, but you need to bring your own hair conditioner.

They had several souvenir type beverage containers for the DOD - which I believe were $12 each - a cool round silver disco ball mirror - a coconut head; a Carnival Funnel Tail; the Hurricane "Glasses" are plastic. If you buy the "Bottomless Bubbles" soda card ($6 per day + 15% gratuity) it also includes free juices as well as tonic water. If you are a big soda or juice drinker, I would suggest you carry some on to keep in your cabin.

Yes, food from the Vienna cafe is extra, but very reasonable - a HUGH slice of cake was only $2.50. (Homemade ice cream-cakes-specialty coffees) you can also get specialty coffees for free after dinner in the MDR listed on the dessert menu. I suggest you try the Tea Time 3:00 PM on the sea days - there are lots of pastries/cakes, tea sandwiches and of course, several varieties of tea. The same type of desserts you would pay for at the Vienna Cafe. Vienna Cafe is the only place you have to pay extra for food-everything else is included - MDR; SOBE Club Buffet, Lido Buffet; Midnight Mexican Buffet; Chocolate Buffet; Off the Grill - Pizza/Salads; Free soft serve ice cream; The Deli -open from 11 AM to 11:00 PM - Sushi Bar on the Promenade every night from 5 to 8 PM. Also, go to the gift shop for free samples of the Rum Cake.

Also, on the last night there was NOT a farewell party with free drinks - I was disappointed as I had read several times there would be - but I asked several ship employees and bar tenders and was told no and there was nothing listed about it in the Funtimes. We did go to the repeat cruisers cocktail party and had several free drinks & you can get some free champagne if you go to the Art Auction. We carried on 2 bottles of wine & they were just checked visually at check in - no shaking. We actually checked our two 12 packs of soda - did not carry on - and they were brought to our cabin with no problem at around 2:00 PM. Also, I would like to mention that we loved Progreso and the downtown and beach - free bus rides there and very reasonable drink & souvenir prices. I have read a lot of negatives about Progreso, but our whole group of 11 found it quite pleasant and fun. In Cozumel we had to be back on the ship by 2:30PM but the other Carnival Ship that was docked next to us didn't have to re-board until 4:30 PM. Cruise Elegant Night- as usual - saw every type of attire - just a few tuxes & some other very casual attire - also, other than elegant night - long jeans are fine in the MDR. Have a great cruise!

Archived