Need Cabin Help/Mercury

msmate

Hello wise cruisers,

My daughter (age 3) and I am taking my parents on a cruise to Alaska this summer to celebrate their 60th anniversary. It will be the first cruise for our family. I booked two CC cabins and noticed that the balcony has large overhang. I have been struggling for the past week on whether to switch them. I have read through everyone's opinions on the Sky Suites and I am considering that, but there are also a few others I would like to consider. The rooms in the aft (1153, 1155, 1165, 1167, 1142, 1144, 1158) are open as are two in the front (1001 and 1007) all that appear not to have the overhang. Also 1022 in the middle ( it also has the overhang, but I think it also has a king bed and is closer to the middle and elevator). If anyone has any thoughts on those options, I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, I have been considering the whale watch excursion in Juneau, and from reading everyones reviews have thought about going independently with Captain Larry. What happens if the ship gets off schedule and you miss your scheduled time. Are you just out of luck??? at $100 each thats too much of a risk for me to make.

Any other words of wisdom for this virgin cruiser and family organizer would be greatly appreciated!

We were in 1060 on the Galaxy for our trip to Alaska which is subjected to the same overhang as the one that you are worried about. I guess my thoughts were that this overhang was not a problem. It certainly was not as intrusive as the overhang on the Infinity that my parents had which included large support beams that angle down from the overhang to the side of the ship. During periods of rain that we encountered on our Alaska trip the deck above provided shelter which made the balcony more usable. Although you apparently have done the research, checkout my link below entitled "Galaxy SS 1060" to see pictures of the balcony overhang and the impact on the view.

We also had friends that went with us that were up in a SS on the Sky Deck. Nice cabin and balcony, indeed!!

If you believe that the overhang will really bother you that much, you could also consider as an option the balcony cabins on the Vista Deck (Deck 9). They are the same size cabin/balcony that is further away from the overhang. They are not CC but you now would have midship choice options. By the way, this is the same deck that the Fun Factory is on that your daughter will be frequenting.

Also checkout my index of cabin photos for Celebrity ships: Cabin Photo Index. In it are photos of Cabin 1160 on the Mercury which is similar to one of the cabin alternatives you are inquiring about. In particular, look at the first photo in Cabin 1160 gallery. You will see what the view looks like without the overhang AND you will see the presence of the window washing machine which is usually parked towards the aft of the ship when not used (on both sides of the ship). These mechanical devices (there is a picture of it taken from ashore at the bottom of the photo gallery), if parked in front of your balcony will be a major annoyance.

For Alaska you might love the overhang. Protection if it's raining or misting and you can still use your balcony for viewing. Also some protection from the wind. If Caribbean, I would switch, but not for Alaska. Just my opinion as we used our own balcony for most viewing and loved that protection. Marilyn

Thanks Mahdnc and msbyrdy for your quick reply!

Mahdnc can I ask you if you had the choice between the sky cabins 1201 and 1200, would you take those over the cc cabins on the penthouse decks? I first thought they might be a little remote, or high (motion) but in looking at them again they are mid-ship and near the elevator....hum.... I normally wouldn't be so particular but I really want this to be extra special for my folks. My dad doesn't fly so they don't go on too many lavish vacations.

Great point about the overhang and bad weather. In looking at the photos (by the way great reference links!) I really thought it would be good to at least look up and see the stars if they were out.

Jill

Thanks Mahdnc and msbyrdy for your quick reply!

Mahdnc can I ask you if you had the choice between the sky cabins 1201 and 1200, would you take those over the cc cabins on the penthouse decks? I first thought they might be a little remote, or high (motion) but in looking at them again they are mid-ship and near the elevator....hum.... I normally wouldn't be so particular but I really want this to be extra special for my folks. My dad doesn't fly so they don't go on too many lavish vacations.

Great point about the overhang and bad weather. In looking at the photos (by the way great reference links!) I really thought it would be good to at least look up and see the stars if they were out.

Jill

Jill,

Yes, it is well known on these boards that 1200 and 1201 are terrific cabins to get if they are available! I would definitely choose either one over a CC cabin. If you didn't see it, there is a set of photos of 1201 on the Mercury in the cabin photo index--would be the same as on the Galaxy except for the decor. Anyway their large balconies make them very very attractive.

Our friends that went with us on our Alaska Galaxy cruise stayed in 1202 which is the SS adjacent to 1200--so I can attest to the fact that the location is excellent! It is very convenient to be able to take a few steps from 1200 and pop right out onto the Sky Deck to take in the Alaskan scenery from either side of the ship.

All the balconies on the Sky Deck are about 1/3 covered from above--the section closest to the cabin balcony door is covered so you have protection from the elements and you can also view the high scenery and the stars. The only mild drawback is that people standing on the above public deck can look down onto the balconies of the Sky Deck (at least the 2/3 uncovered portion of the balcony). This is not too big of a deal in my opinion.

Aren't cabins 1200 and 1201 CC? They were on the cruise we just took down the pacific coast.

yes, I meant that 1200/1201 were more desirable than the CC cabins on the Penthouse Deck.

im booked in cabin 1200 on the mercury for alaska in sept - i dont know when you are going but ill let you know how the cabin is when i get back !!! i cant wait and very excited -- if anyone has any pictures - i would love to see them also !!!

im booked in cabin 1200 on the mercury for alaska in sept - i dont know when you are going but ill let you know how the cabin is when i get back !!! i cant wait and very excited -- if anyone has any pictures - i would love to see them also !!!

Here are pictures of Mercury 1201 which is the same cabin as yours but on the port side of the ship: Mercury 1201

How do you find out if there is an overhang with your cabin that will obstruct stuff. We have 5 cabins on the Mercury (9142, 9144, 9147, 9195 and 1065) and would like more info.

Just to be clear, the overhang is the Resort Deck extending over the sides of the ship (actually extends past the side of the ship hull).

The best way to tell if there is an overhang from above to contend with is to see pictures of the actual balcony view which is rare.

A slightly less accurate method is to look at the deck plans (the brochure deck plans (paper) work better than the Celebrity website deck plans) and look at the outline of the Resort Deck to see where it "sticks out" and then look to see where the balcony cabin in question falls underneath it (make sure to line up the elevator shafts on each deck to be confirm that you have the decks lined up over each other accurately). So for example, using this method I would estimate that the overhang of the Resort Deck covers Cabins 1018-1140 on the starboard side. The jagged outline of the Resort Deck where the Palm Springs Cafe is means that a few of those cabins are not covered by the overhang. But in general most of the balcony cabins are covered by the overhang.

On the Mercury any cabin on the Vista Deck (Cabins numbers starting with 9) is two decks down below the overhang so in my opinion the overhang effect (protection and view obstruction) is minimal--so I don't even worry about it. But you can still look at the deck plans to determine if they fall under the overhang.

So for the cabins you cited, in my estimation 9142, 9144, 9147, and 1065 are underneath the overhang (although it is not as big of a deal for 9142, 9144, 9147). 9195 looks like that it is under one of the areas of the Resort Deck that doesn't extend out past the side of the hull.

How I discovered the overhang was to actually overlay the diagram then confirm what I saw with the photos both of the side of the ship and the inside. I don't think I would have been as concerned about the overhang had I been booked on the Vista Deck. It is just on the Penthouse deck that it is directly above you.

Cheers!

Jill

mahdnc - thank you so much for the pictures -

one question - the roof of the balcony is open ?? what if it is raining - we will be wet ?? is there any overhang to the balcony ??? eeks - we are sailing the mercury to alaska in september - it will probably rain alot ...........

mahdnc - thank you so much for the pictures -

one question - the roof of the balcony is open ?? what if it is raining - we will be wet ?? is there any overhang to the balcony ??? eeks - we are sailing the mercury to alaska in september - it will probably rain alot ...........

About 1/3 of the balcony--the area closest to the cabin/balcony door--is covered by the overhanging deck above. The 2/3 of the remaining balcony towards the rail in uncovered. So you have the best of both worlds.

I dont have any pictures of your cabin, but do have a few pictures of the Mercury. Click on my sign in, and then go to my home page to view

I would like to add your terrific RS photos to my photo index, if it is ok with you. Could you please tell me which exact RS you stayed in so I can properly document it?

Thank you to everyone who responded to my qustion. My daughter and I are assigned to room 1200 on the starboard side and my parents are going to be across on the port side in room 1201. We are travelling on June 24th so I will be able to give my review to the September cruiser. Now on the the excursion planning........

Archived