Alaska or American Airlines?? Need your help!

Our next cruise in October is out of Los Angeles (San Pedro). There's a flight out of FLL on either Alaska or American Airlines at a perfect time for the same price.

The American Airlines website says that flight is on time 30% of the time. I even called AA to ask if it was right and she kept checking and said it seemed to be (to her obvious horror).

We really wanted to fly Southwest, but they don't have schedules up yet for October and the rates keep climbing for that route on their website.

So!!! Has anyone flown on Alaska Airlines? I know absolutely nothing about it. And while I'm at it, any good ideas for a hotel in an area we could walk around and enjoy things Saturday afternoon and evening? I knew this was the place to come for the best info:D .

YIKES!!! A "30% on time" record on their web site? I have flown on Alaska dozens of time and I like them. Always have been on time and the service is good. Probably will be using our FF miles to FLL in Oct '06. I'm waiting for the Oct. '05 Southwest schedule also. We are either flying with Alaska or SW to San Diego. The Alaska rates have climbed for the last 7 weeks and I am hoping that SW will be cheaper.:)

SW schedules appear six months in advance, so you may want to check your calendar and see if it's worth waiting for. Personally (wink), I would choose Alaska if you don't want to wait for SW. I have not been too impressed with American. Nothing horrific, just lots of mediocre. The 30% factor is troubling, though it will be partially due to the business of LAX, meaning that most LAX flights may have poorer than average on time ratings.

I have not flown on Alaska, but I'm giving them a try in about two weeks after my Ryndam cruise. If you haven't decided by then, I'll let you know.

SW from FLL to LAX is likely to be a dog-walk flight - stops at every bush and fire hydrant. :)

You may find cost savings if you consider Burbank, Orange County(esp if you fancy a stop at CA Disney) or Ontario instead of LAX (keeping in mind that they are farther from port).

Sorry I can't help you with hotels (unless you do Ontario or OC). San Pedro is a drive-to for us.

Cheers,

Friday

Edit: Long Beach has quite a bit to do in the downtown/harbor area.

Such great info so fast! Thanks, guys:D . Fridayeyes, all the rest of American flights into LAX show great on time records so it's just this one flight.

Janice, the Southwest flights are climbing steadily recently when I even look at September. Flights into LAX were $110 or so and now up around $185. At least with Alaska, we'd have the seats and not have to worry about A line, etc. I love Southwest, but that is the other issue ... it stops once and adds about 50 minutes to the flight.

But the good thing with Southwest is that if we cancel for some reason, I can apply the entire amount to another flight ... no cancel fees. But they're dragging their feel with the schedule. It's 5 months and they tell me they don't know when it will happen.

I'll see if anyone else has any thoughts and then bite the bullet and book Alaska. Good to hear it's such a good airline.

Hotel ideas in the LA area anyone ... an average one where we could do stuff without a car?

Just MHO but I would wait another 7 to 8 weeks for Southwest. As of today you can only book up till Setember 12th. I too am waiting to buy my tickets with Southwest I only have about 5 weeks to wait. The problem is Alaska has so few flights I would guess only one or two per day going from Florida to California. I could be wrong. I know SW as several. If there is a mechanical you are more likely to get on the next flight out. The same is true with American since I know they have a lot more flights. I also do not think you will see SW raise there price that much by having to wait.

Heather -

Well, I will be the lone dissenter here... I actually like American Airlines, BUT it depends on the plane. If it one that has the new seat configuration, they are very comfy. Check out www.seatguru.com to get an idea of the seats on different planes and airlines.

Now, when it comes to LA, who is your girl??? I grew up out there and I actually cruised from Port of LA (which used to be in Wilmington) and I can give you some recommendations. As far as driving - it's much easier to get around than the FLL area, imo. I was in LA last October and had an Isuzu Rodeo for four days for $109. Also, I always use Budget's Fastbreak so I don't wait in any rental car line... and it's easy enough to sign up for online.

The problem with LA is that things are somewhat spread out - though some things are easy to get to... it depends on how much time you have and what you'd like to see. Last trip we stayed in Hollywood and were pleasantly surprised at how "cleaned up" it is now. You don't want to stay by the cruise port I wouldn't think - not unless it's been seriously cleaned up since the 80's - 90's.

Janice, the Southwest flights are climbing steadily recently when I even look at September. Flights into LAX were $110 or so and now up around $185.

Right now Alaska is $290 for PDX to SAN round trip. Is the $185 round trip? That would mean could you fly all the way across the US cheaper than for me to fly to San Diego.:( At almost $600 for the 2 of us, I'm going to hang in there until SW posts their schedule. I have to believe that the price won't be higher than on Alaska.

Lisa, actually there are plenty of flights. Alaska has an 11 a.m. as does American. And plenty of seats. SW's is about the same time, but I'm not paying $185 when I can pay $135 and not stop! I love SW ... when I have a choice it's all I use because of the free flights, but ...

Janice, $185 was one way FLL to LAX on Southwest on any given Saturday between now and 9/12. I have "Ding" and check daily. Alaska one way is $135.

Laura, agree. I like AA. But a 30% ontime rate is pretty lousy. Even the AA agent was shocked so she checked days and days of flights and there wasn't one on-time flight for the 11!!!!

You're my girl, Laura! I forgot!!! It doesn't matter to me where we are in relation to the port because we can just taxi there on Sunday. I don't want to be in the center of LA. I was there an eternity ago and I just didn't like it even then. I'd love to be near the water ... some place we can walk around. It just seems silly to rent a car when we're only there from 2:30 Saturday until the next morning. Any ideas will be welcomed!!!

You're my girl, Laura! I forgot!!! It doesn't matter to me where we are in relation to the port because we can just taxi there on Sunday. I don't want to be in the center of LA. I was there an eternity ago and I just didn't like it even then. I'd love to be near the water ... some place we can walk around. It just seems silly to rent a car when we're only there from 2:30 Saturday until the next morning. Any ideas will be welcomed!!!

I just emailed you a link - you may want to check out flights to and from Long Beach airport - also if I were choosing a place to stay, it'd definitely be in Long Beach - nice properties with restaurants and shopping within walking distance. Some great "Cali" seafood and Mexican food! :)

First, we love love love Alaska Air. It's usually all we fly as it manages to fly to where we want to go from here in Seattle. The non-stop flights to Orlando, Mazatlan, NY, Washington DC, Phoenix , Anchorage, Las Vegas, and just about anywhere in California are so easy for us. We have tons of miles and use them all the time (just got 3 tickets to Las Vegas for $5.00 each using our miles !!) With that being said, I recently read on usatoday.com that Southwest (who isn't my fav, but my mom thinks they are the best !) did something that will make them be profitable and also be able to have them not add a "fuel surcharge" to the ticket prices. With gas prices going up and up, this was an interesting piece of news:

"At Southwest, what made the big difference in the first quarter was its fuel hedging, which saved $155 million.

Part science and part art, hedging locks in fuel prices through the purchase of oil futures contracts or other trading instruments. It requires that carriers have good credit and the cash to buy futures. Southwest has both; most other carriers have neither.

Having locked in the price of 86% of its fuel, Southwest paid 90.3 cents a gallon on average, vs. recent spot market prices of up to $1.80 a gallon in parts of the USA. It has locked in 85% of its expected fuel needs for the rest of the year at prices equal to $26-a-barrel oil. "

The link to the story is here: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2005-04-14-southwest-earn_x.htm

But that is an indication that perhaps their fares will be lower than most for summer / fall travel

Alaska or American is a moot point. Purchase a ticket with Alaska to LAX and you will fly an American plane. Alaska code shares with American on this flight. I suggest take American for frequent flyer mileage.

Jodie, thanks for that info! I had heard this on the news the other day. As I said, the best part of SW is no cancellation fee should anything happen. Plus it's the only airline I ever get to use my points.

Dave and Trick, I did know that and sort of thought of them as interchangeable ... even says that on Alaska website. The drawback for AA was the 30% ontime report. Not good.

Thanks for all the info!!! I'm actually making some headway here!:D

This seems moot now, but my sister is a flight attendant for Alaska. She loves it, I love flying with them when I get a chance, and they do treat their employees like gold. If you decide to take that flight, pay Alaska! lol :p

I wasn't impressed with my last R/T on American (Boston - SFO - Boston)

1) Very old plane for such a long flight. (I think higher turbulence was due to that matter)

2) We paid for our headphones ($5 pp) but our row was one of the 10-15 rows with not working sound.. They teased us with "Ocean 12" without sound! (They wouldn't turn sound on as they didn't want to loose profit from those who would return their headphones)

3) Aircraft's tire would come off 4 times during the landing!!!

4) Had to spend additional 20 minutes inside of the plane as they couldn't open the door. Finally they used emergency door.

Archived