Christmas SD 2 2012

spikelings

Hey guys,

My wife and I (early fourty) are going on our first cruise next Christmas. San Juan-St Thomas. We picked seadream because i dont like big crowds and am a fan of great food, so....

I would like to ask for some tips on which excursions to go during our trip. To start we booked 2 extra nights in san juan. The rest of the schedule: Fajardo, ponce, caja de muertos (puerto rico), Cruz Bay (st John), Gustavia (st Barth), Sopers Hole (Tortola), Norman Island 2 days) and Virgin Gorda.

I also scuba dive and would like to take a dive or two....

Thanks

John

DH and I will be on the same cruise. We are in our early fifties. We have sailed on Seadream before but never over a holiday. You have picked a fantastic line for your first cruise! We are arriving a day early in P.R. and look forward to hearing the responses to tour suggestions. Less than eight months now!

We were on last Christmas. Here is a link to the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1468393&page=3

start at about post #90.

A couple of notes about your schedule.

You will leave Ponce around 1:00 p.m and arrive at Caja de Muertos about an hour (maybe two) later. You will do the same thing at Sophers Hole (it is less than an hour to Norman Island. You will leave Norman Island around 6:00 a.m. in time to get to Virgin Gorda to let off people going to the Baths around 8:00 and then the ship will sail to North Sound where it will spend the day. (You might have the splash that day at Prickley Pear).

As far as diving, I would dive at Norman I think.

As far as excursions, I can't help with PR, but on St. Barths we rent a car and go exploring. Not sure what to do at Sopher's Hole unless there is a trip over to Jost. On Norman, we just go ashore and walk up the hill and around the island. On Virgin Gorda, if you have not been to the Baths, you need to experience that at least once,

Dig through some of these reviews on my website if you want some more SD information.

http://zqvol.com/cruises.htm

I used to work out of Ponce. Has industrial parts but a quaint old town. Be sure to stop in to La Cueva del Pirata, a very old bar near the waterfront. Get them to show you the hidden tunnel for escaping back to the harbor. :eek:

I can provide some insight about Ponce and Caja de Muertos. Turns out I grew up in Ponce.

My recommendation for your stop in Ponce is to visit the Art Museum - a must see for art lovers. The museum went through significant renovations several years ago. It is a world class facility with very nice art pieces. Interestingly enough, I was told last week that the Prado Museum (Madrid) has loaned some very special pieces to the Ponce Museum of Art.

Also, I would try to get a short tour to the Ponce city square. You would be able to see some very pretty Spanish architecture - Cathedral, fountains, .... Also, the Fire House is over 100 yrs old - painted in red and black (city colors). If you make it to the square, make sure to visit the ice cream shop right across from the fire house. If you like italian gelato, you'll love this treat. Freshly made daily - try to the coco (coconut) ice cream.

Caja de Muertos is an island roughly 7 nautical miles off the coast of Ponce. No one lives in the island. So, not much to do there but to enjoy the crystal clear water and white sand - beautiful! I use to go to this island quite often as a teenager. This should be a great stop to use the SD toys. Great for water skying, ride the jet skis, sailing or just swimming.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Mike

Hi Mike.

That must have been great growing up in Ponce. What a nice part of the world. When I was working out of there, I was running a small ship in a tanker lightering operation offshore. I wish I had more time off to explore the surrounding countryside. I remember the smell of the burning cane fields after the harvest. That sweet smelling smoke would probably be good for smoking BBQ.:eek::D

I think some go to Cane Garden Bay from Sopers Hole. ZQVOL is right about Norman Island -- splash should be at Virgin Gorda and you should definitely do the Baths in the morning. Lots to do on St Barths -- you can rent a car or go to Shell Beach (dos Brazil is a great restaurant) or take a cab to St Jean and spend $$ at Eden Roc!

Sounds like a really nice itinerary with several ports in PR we haven't done!

Enjoy!

Vandrefalk

Jim,

You are really taking me back. Sugar cane farming in PR is not a big business anymore. Those fires no longer take place.

Interestingly, I've been boating just about my whole life. I spent many weekends boating out of the Ponce Yacht Club - adjacent to the port of Ponce. In those days, that port was very busy with tuna fishing boats bringing in the catch to be processed in facilities next to the port. Those days are now gone.

Mike

Mike.

We used to dock near the processing facility. When the wind was from a certain direction, the smell was not as pleasant as the cane smoke. Wasn't there a rum distillery in the area? Matusalem comes to mind. Good memories. :D

J.

Jim,

You are right! At times, the smell from the tuna processing facility was just awful.

The only rum facility I recall in Ponce is Don Q (in reference to Don Quijote). One of the best rums in Puerto Rico.

Mike

• 3 months later...

Wanted to move this up as the Christmas cruise is now less than five months away. Anyone other that Spikelings joining us? DH and I just returned from five days in Bermuda. The sea, salt air and breezes got me thinking about our upcoming SD cruise. We can't wait! Looking forward to strolling Puerto Rico the day before our embarkation. The decorations are always wonderful and the pageant activities are sweet.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

St. Barths -- people I travelled with loved the ATV excursion, thought it was the highlight of the trip. We also did the Circle St. Barts tour and it was fun. The Baths at Virgin Gorda are breathtaking. At St. John's we enjoyed Honeymoon Beach and then ended with lunch at Caneel Bay...the only place I've ever seen lobster tacos. Have a great trip! Keep us posted, we're back on SeaDream 2 at the end of January.

Starting to get very excited about our Christmas cruise. We are new to SeaDream and I am starting to make my packing list and wanted to know if there were any items I should not forget. From the posts I have read it sounds like they have about everything I would need or want but did notice that a power strip for the cabin might be helpful.

Hard to believe the trip is just around the corner!!!!!!!!

Starting to get very excited about our Christmas cruise. We are new to SeaDream and I am starting to make my packing list and wanted to know if there were any items I should not forget. From the posts I have read it sounds like they have about everything I would need or want but did notice that a power strip for the cabin might be helpful.

Hard to believe the trip is just around the corner!!!!!!!!

2 little items we have found useful. First, a disposable waterproof camera (unless you have a waterproof rig of your own) for those great pictures in the surf at the Splash. Next, one of the waterproof plastic cases on a lanyard for cash, credit cards, and room card when you are planning on getting wet. $5 at WalMart or at any dive/surf shop. Thats about it except take money for the jewelry stores.:eek::D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived