Help! Recommended Alaska excursions?

newbiefromvancouver

It's been awhile but we loved the gold rush train tour. You go on a heated train up along the side of a mountain where it is really scenic then you bus down to a gold rush camp. That might have been Skagway. Check in the ports of call section of the message board. I have found that to be a great resource on shore excursions.

My mother (late 60's) and I (early 40's) are cruising to Alaska (NCL Spirit-May 21st). The ports are Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Prince Rupert. Our budget for excursions is around $800 total. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Newbie,

Really depends on what you like to do. THere is everything from Glacier tours to whale watching. Ill give you an idea of what we did. Family of 4 2 adults 2 teens.

Juneau, we rented a car from the airport and drove to the Salmon Hatchery and also I believe the mendenhall Glacier. Had a blast and was glad not to be rushed like the tours seemed to be. Turned in the car and walked around down town area next to the ship.

Ketchikan we were not in port long. Just walked around the town

Scagway we rented a car from Avis and drove to Canada and the Ukon territory. It was great and probebly to most scenic drive I have ever been on. We saw bears, and tons of wild life.

We went to Victoria and not Prince Rupert. In Victoria we went on a whale watching tour to see killer whales. It was fun..... but a little cold and a little long. We did see some whales and the kids loved it.

If you want any pictures drop me an e-mail. Make sure you have high speed connection.

Jeff

jsaadat@msn.com

For better recommendations- you need to look over your shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. There is no point in recommending tours of no interest. Flightseeing tops my list- how about you??

For clarification- in Juneau few rental companies shuttle you to the airport, adding to your costs, Rent A wreck does if this is an option for you? Wildlife also is usually rare from the Klondike Highway out of Skagway- don't expect it, the above poster was very lucky. Print out Murray's guide sheet- a must- if you do this. http://www.explorenorth.com

Archived