Barcelona

CrusingJoe

Have you visited other parts of the U.S.? Our country is an extremely diverse country due to its size.

Take care.:)

Hi Neil ... I have been all over the US ... big and small places ... I used to have a travel wholesale business, selling hotels and tours all over the US ... for 20 odd years I would be in the US 3 times or more a year.

Also my friends family live near Indianapolis and Washington DC so we visit every so often.

My personel preference is Los Angeles and The East Coast ... next year we plan to be in US ... unless some amazing deal comes along before.

Have fun

Neil

Hi Neil ... I have been all over the US ... big and small places ... I used to have a travel wholesale business, selling hotels and tours all over the US ... for 20 odd years I would be in the US 3 times or more a year.

Also my friends family live near Indianapolis and Washington DC so we visit every so often.

My personel preference is Los Angeles and The East Coast ... next year we plan to be in US ... unless some amazing deal comes along before.

Have fun

Neil

Doonan - Neil - We met some wonderful people from Australia last year on the World Cruise on Princess - the Dawn and we had a great time. We met these lovely older (straight) women and they adopted us. They were so nice and friendly. We had the best time. We hear from them every so often and they would love for us to come to Australia. On the other hand the New Zealanders (Kiwi's) were a bit standoffish... It's funny because we sensed it, but the Australians confirmed it for us. We picked up the segment from Dover, England to Ft. Lauderdale, FL (the ship took us home). This year we are going the other way Miami to Bacelona.

As I mentioned, I am originally from NYC, but we have been in FL for a long time - almost 18 years (I was a baby when we met).

Anyway, our cruises keep us going and give us something to look forward to -- instead of work... We always find some great deals -like the one are going on - we just keep hunting around and be ready to snap it up.:)

Doonan - Neil - We met some wonderful people from Australia last year on the World Cruise on Princess - the Dawn and we had a great time. We met these lovely older (straight) women and they adopted us. They were so nice and friendly. We had the best time. We hear from them every so often and they would love for us to come to Australia. On the other hand the New Zealanders (Kiwi's) were a bit standoffish... It's funny because we sensed it, but the Australians confirmed it for us. We picked up the segment from Dover, England to Ft. Lauderdale, FL (the ship took us home). This year we are going the other way Miami to Bacelona.

As I mentioned, I am originally from NYC, but we have been in FL for a long time - almost 18 years (I was a baby when we met).

Anyway, our cruises keep us going and give us something to look forward to -- instead of work... We always find some great deals -like the one are going on - we just keep hunting around and be ready to snap it up.:)

Austraolian by nature are mostly a friendly bunch ... like you we like the Atlantic Crossing by ship (anything is better than flying). When we are in the UK next year we will look for a ship from UK to US if our dates work out.

Ft Lauderdale we have been a number a times to join ships. We always stay a few days , we use the time for shopping bargains (clothing is cheaper in US than Aust). Though we have now started shopping in Europe as they get great prices and styles.

You are in the right place for cruise deals with all those ships sailing ... problem here, we see a good deal and then have to add a 'big' airfare to the cost.

We are looking forward to our next trip as come Oct we are off to UK, France and then Barcelona to get the Solstice to Australia. A mix of air, train, car and ship ... should be fun.

Keep hunting for good deals

Neil

Austraolian by nature are mostly a friendly bunch ... like you we like the Atlantic Crossing by ship (anything is better than flying). When we are in the UK next year we will look for a ship from UK to US if our dates work out.

Ft Lauderdale we have been a number a times to join ships. We always stay a few days , we use the time for shopping bargains (clothing is cheaper in US than Aust). Though we have now started shopping in Europe as they get great prices and styles.

You are in the right place for cruise deals with all those ships sailing ... problem here, we see a good deal and then have to add a 'big' airfare to the cost.

We are looking forward to our next trip as come Oct we are off to UK, France and then Barcelona to get the Solstice to Australia. A mix of air, train, car and ship ... should be fun.

Keep hunting for good deals

Neil

Doonan - Neil - Sorry I did not get back to you sooner -- it has been very hectic here, as we wind down the school year. Princess usually does an "Around The World" cruise starting and ending in Australia - last year they came back from England to Florida and this year they are going to NY. I heard they alternate every year. You do not have to take the entire cruise. You can pick up one or more segments along the way (it was like a floating greyhound bus :p).

I know clothes are cheaper here than Europe. We went into Harrod's Dept. Store last summer and the prices were outrageous. The US$'s poor exchange rate also plays a major role. I am always busy converting US$ to Pounds to Euros..:eek:

We try to get these "cruise deals" that include airfare and sometimes gratuities and SBC. We got it all for this trip on Oceania next month. It was a GREAT deal. We are also staying 4 extra days in Barcelona - we love the city. Oceania had us pay the "air deviation fee" $125PP, which was fine.

Your trip sounds great. You wil have a wonderful time...

Talk to you soon... Got to run the kiddies are coming...:)

Neil

Neil, how do you find these cruises? I'd love to cruise like that.:)

We try to get these "cruise deals" that include airfare and sometimes gratuities and SBC. We got it all for this trip on Oceania next month. It was a GREAT deal. We are also staying 4 extra days in Barcelona - we love the city. Oceania had us pay the "air deviation fee" $125PP, which was fine.

I agree with Neil (USA) ... I always look for these deals ... I put myself on all the cruise lines, I like, mailing list and also have a few agents in the US that I keep an eye on for deals.

I also often book on a cruise (my next cruise Barcelona to Sydney gave me $800 SBC) and with Celebrity if the fare drops most times they will adjust it down.

I also saw yesturday Celebrity were giving a $90 airfare between Sydney and Auckland with its cruises ... you can't buy a ticket for that.

Neil ... I agree about Harrods ... I used to buy things, now I just walk through and in the main enjoy looking at the food hall. Good cloths, in the main are expensive here in Australia, most places we go it cheaper.

I saw you like Barcelona ... It's a place I buy lots of cloths.

Neil

I spent three nights in Sitges Spain and highly recommend it. the fantastic town of Sitges, about 25km south of Barcelona -- and easy cheap 30 min train ride. It is an ideal vacation town, called the St. Tropez of Spain. Very picturesque. Narrow streets, many where no cars are allowed, great for strolling among the hundreds of gay shops, bars, cafes, restaurants during the afternoon through late evening. Great beaches. Lots of hotels, apartments, and hostels.

I stayed at the Hotel Platjador (http://platjador-sitges.hotel-rez.com/ and http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Catalonia.html) which was a 3-star directly across from the beach.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

499 days at sea

43 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon

I spent three nights in Sitges Spain and highly recommend it. the fantastic town of Sitges, about 25km south of Barcelona -- and easy cheap 30 min train ride. It is an ideal vacation town, called the St. Tropez of Spain. Very picturesque. Narrow streets, many where no cars are allowed, great for strolling among the hundreds of gay shops, bars, cafes, restaurants during the afternoon through late evening. Great beaches. Lots of hotels, apartments, and hostels.

I stayed at the Hotel Platjador

Sitges ... We did the same thing for a few days ... great place and easy to get to ... we even stayed at the same hotel which was just perfect ... best breakfasts of just about any place I have stayed. Anyone staying its worth the extra for a balcony room looking at the sea.

You mention San Tropez France ... It's a town and area I love.

Neil

CruisinJoe:

I know we are not allowed to mention names, but the web site that is associated with cruise critic (Crucon) is the one we get great specials, but I think you have to live in the USA or Canada -as there are travel restriction issues. We plan when we can go, look at the cruises available and when it pops up we are ready to book, as they are wholesalers out of New Hampsire and they work out deals buying up limited blocks of cruises. You must be ready to book or the cruises, as they sometimes only have 50 or 75 and then they are gone...

Keep looking the deals are out there...:) Have a great weekend...

CruisinJoe:

I know we are not allowed to mention names, but the web site that is associated with cruise critic (Crucon) is the one we get great specials, but I think you have to live in the USA or Canada -as there are travel restriction issues. We plan when we can go, look at the cruises available and when it pops up we are ready to book, as they are wholesalers out of New Hampsire and they work out deals buying up limited blocks of cruises. You must be ready to book or the cruises, as they sometimes only have 50 or 75 and then they are gone...

Keep looking the deals are out there...:) Have a great weekend...

I use them all the time, were from Massachusetts. A lot of times I'll book with the cruise company and then tranfer my reservation to cru***;)

Barcelona is an awesome city with a great gay vibe. You've received so much great advice already. My addition would be to venture onto the side streets. Las Ramblas is great to walk, but the cafes, bars, and restaurants are quite expensive. Get off the main drag and go into the neighborhoods. Here you'll find the more authentic Cataluna.

On the cruise deal front, I find there are a few things a scoring a great deal.

1. Don't be locked into going to a specific place, let the deal find you.

2. Frequent trip pricing research (email lists from numerous cruise travel agents helps)

Have a great trip.

Shawn

Barcelona is an awesome city with a great gay vibe. You've received so much great advice already. My addition would be to venture onto the side streets. Las Ramblas is great to walk, but the cafes, bars, and restaurants are quite expensive. Get off the main drag and go into the neighborhoods. Here you'll find the more authentic Cataluna.

On the cruise deal front, I find there are a few things a scoring a great deal.

1. Don't be locked into going to a specific place, let the deal find you.

2. Frequent trip pricing research (email lists from numerous cruise travel agents helps)

Have a great trip.

Shawn

ShawninFL - Shawn - I agree with you regarding cruises. We believe that there is a whole world to travel. If there are great deals -- that is where we go. We even went one year to New Mexico - they had the Hunta Virus - we ended up with some beautiful Santa Clara pottery at the Pueblos, at the most reasonable prices, as no one was travelling there. I think my husband took me there on purpose to get rid of me - HA!!!:p

Archived