Cruising with teenagers - HELP

Szaftoo

:confused: We are considering our first cruise this summer. Since it's our first time, we would make if a four or five day cruise. Most of the lines we have checked into list all kinds of activities for kids up to age 15. Our kids are 17 and 19. Would there be things for them to do or would they be bored? HELP!

I think it depends on the cruise line and ship.

Some lines have "teen clubs" that the 17yo but NOT the 19 yo could attend. Unfortunatly I;v not found many organized activities for young people in that age range.

We researched this issue as we are going on a cruise with our family next January. We have a son age 11 and 2 daughters age 18 & 19, We chose Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas. We thought any of the RCCL Voyager class ships would be equal, as they have the most activities our kids would enjoy...Rock wall, in-line skating, mini golf, ice rink...in addition to pools etc. The Navigator just had the combination of date and itinerary that matched our schedules.

Carnival also has several ships / itineraries that we considered but the girls are very "active" and though they would have more fun with the things available on RCCL.

DW & I were on the HAL Westerdam in January. We checked out the club HAL center and thought it would have been great for the 11yo, but frankly I think the girls would be bored on sea days on HAL.

I would suggest you get the kids together and drag them to a TA and have them tell the TA what their likes and dislikes are and get a reccomendation from the TA.

I would suggest Royal Caribbean's Voyager class of ships, on a Western Caribbean itinerary. The Voyager class have an amazing array of active options for teenagers and there will by many other young people on board.

A second suggestion would be Carnival's Glory (also on a Western Caribbean). The Glory has a wonderful teen area, including a mocktail bar, dance floor and arcade, plus many other options.

The Western Caribbean is a great itinerary with lots of variety in the ports-of-call. My first suggestion would definitely be to book a shore excursion to swim with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. Everyone has to to that once.

I took my 17YO nephew and 17YP stepson with me on a 3 night RCI cruise last summer. They had a blast! I saw them only at dinner unless I caught up with them at the beach or on the rock climbing wall.

Now they keep asking for a 7 night!

We just came back from a week on the Carnival Glory with 4 girls ( three 18 and one 17). They had a good time for the most part. The only drawback was that the 17-year-old couldn't get into the disco with the 18's, and she didn't care to go to the "kids" disco by herself. However, the three who had cruised before said they had more fun on other ships, especially Princess and RCCL.

I have taken my kids on Carnival and royal- The kids preferred Carnival for night activities. Carnival will have a teen get together that first night.

Our families preferr a cruise vacation over a land vacation as it was the most fun. Our first cruise my kids were 16, 18 and 20. The had the best time

Serene,

Thanks for the reply. Someone told me Carnival cruises were really into the young adult, partying crowd. What do you think?

IME, that is an accurate assessment. I do not care for the Carnival experience.

Serene,

Thanks for the reply. Someone told me Carnival cruises were really into the young adult, partying crowd. What do you think?

On a cruise -- no matter which one-- you can find the partiers-- or you can find the laid back people. The only time I ever encountered a rowdy party atmosshere was my cruises to nowhere. I think the shorter cruises are more party ships since people are trying to sqeeze it all in.

Young adults?? Hmmm, i am 48 and have loved every on eof my carnival cruises..I could always find something to do. SO and I are not drinkers and sitting in a lounge listening to music is not our cup of tea either. But every night we found something new to do. (shows, commedianes, hypnotists- stuff like that)

The drinking age is 21 on Carnival and 18 for beer and wine for 18.

I do know that carnival used to have a party til you drop reputation but that no longer applies since most of the college kids cant cruise alone. People under 21 must have someone in the cabin that is over the age of 25 to be responsible. Cruises are no longer spring break weekenders. (I also do not sail during high peak family times either)

The drinking age for Carnival is 21 for all alcohol. Its only Rccl that allows beer and wine only for 18yr olds

I think also Celebrity has the same alcohol policy as Rccl

Archived