Am I missing something?

We already kiboshed an all inclusive as it was even pricier than a cruise.

So the breakdown on rooms:

896.48 inside guarantee

1069.48 plus 100 obc gives us mid ship deck 1 or 2

------ extra 50.40 for midship eck 6

------ extra 60 for mid ship deck 7

Recommendations for a first time cruiser?

Do those prices include the taxes and gratuities as well? Some Travel Agents (TAs) leave those out when calculating costs but they are real costs (to you) so make CERTAIN that the TA gives you ALL the cost right up front.

You September date make a LOT of difference @ MB but less of a difference on the cruise costs but is still less than peak season so you should be able to find a good deal. The most important part is just to GET YOURSELF ON the ship for the first cruise and then you can figure out if cruising is for you.

Just remember that cruising is not an all inclusive thing. Those who tend to drink heavily can spend more than they might expect on alcohol as the cost of drinks are priced similar to eating out ($5-$12 for a mixed drink & $4/beer)

There are now cruises leaving out of Charleston and that is only 2 hours from Myrtle so if you want to remove the flight costs all together, do some research on the cruises departing Charleston, SC.

Others posted but I'll re-iterate. The 1st week in September is in the HEART of hurricane season and that is one reason that the rates are lower @ MB. I think my condo is down to around $600/week at that time frame. The seas during that period "can be" a LOT rougher due to the hurricanes and the weather can be "no fun". When you are on a boat, you can stay inside and gamble but that could also drive up your costs (or cover your entire vacation depending on luck). If you KNOW either of you tend to get seasick, you may want to pick another time for a cruise.

Thanks for that.

Just wondering what other opinions where on that.

Have you ever been sea sick before?

I don't get seasick but the rest of the family does. We've found Seabands to be very effective. We've also found it hasn't really mattered where we are on the ship--someone will get woozy. So we take actions to prevent that. It's really a nonissue unless we really start rocking.

I think it really depends on where you usually go and where you want to cruise. We normally go to Disney every year and with air fare it runs us about $2100 for 5-6 nights. We are doing a 7 night cruise out of San Juan, arriving a day before and staying a day after all for $2200. So for us we are getting more for our vacation dollar by booking a cruise. We have not booked any excursions yet so that will be an added expense, but we would have had the added expense of paying for our meals in Disney so we feel that will equal out.

I am hoping to book today. Have contacted TA and she is looking at flights and they seem to be just under $600 for both inclusive.

Have to decide cabin wise - think I am tending towards the option that will give us the mid-ship choice (but will put us on deck 1 or 2).

Will also give us $100 OBC.

Just wondering to spend 2 days in FLL prior to cruise or not?

Opinions?

I second the "seabands" for sea sickness. They are great...and no side effects!

As for cost. Keep in mind that you will probably spend more than you expected once you are there! One thing I have learned over the years as I have traveled is that I hate to worry about how much I spend when I am on vacation. So, I have tried hard to just save and save so that when I am on the trip I can not worry about it and just spend what I want. My DH and I returned last week from 8 nights on The Valor. We paid $1222 (including taxes) for an inside mid ship cabin on Deck 7. We did decide to fly ($240/pp) - we got a ride to and from airport. I booked my pre-cruise hotel on airline miles so that was free and included breakfast the next morning. However, we did have to pay for a taxi to the hotel in Miami ($28). Then we bought wine, soda and water to take on the ship. Plus we ate lunch and dinner in Miami - you see where this is going...

Once on the ship, we bought the the soda package. In addition, don't forget that they charge $11.50/pp/per day for tips (which we would never think of taking off). We had some drinks each day, bought tickets to the Behind the Fun tour ($95/pp), bought 2 pictures, and a few souveneirs in the gift shop. On the islands, we bought some souveneirs for ourselves, our kids and our parents who were taking care of our kids, did 2 excursions, paid taxi fare and had a drink on each island.

Then, we had to pay a taxi back to the airport....$25

Don't forget the trip insurance - about $100 I think

So, you see...it ADDS UP! All in all, we probably spent close to $2800 I am guessing. The good thing was the cruise, trip insurance and airfare were LONG since paid off by the time we went on the trip. This was our 10 year anniversary trip so it was good...but it is certainly easy to spend! If we had gone to Myrtle Beach for a week...it wouldn't have cost near that much....that I know! But it was WAY MORE FUN!

Now, if you don't plan to buy and alcohol or soda on the ship, you won't have to worry about that cost. There are ways to keep the cost down...it's all about how you want to vacation.

So hubby just asked:

How do you get back from beach after cab has left?

Guess he is worried about being left behind?

I skimmed and it didn't look like anyone answered, so here you go:

Tell the cabbie what time to come pick you up. We have never had a cab NOT show up to get us.

Also, if you are at a tourist beach, they will be lining up to return to the ships. It is when you are more off the beaten path that you really need a plan.

If you go to a beach with facilities, many will also call a cab for you. That was our plan recently, but due to statement number 2, we didn't find it necessary to call. There was a plethora of cabs available, and we weren't even at a crowded location.

Just always leave some extra time in the plans.

Just wondering to spend 2 days in FLL prior to cruise or not?

Opinions?

Extra days in Florida is a nice way to extend your vacation but opens up more concerns. I'd just fly down the day before your cruise if you're looking to save money. You'd have to pay an extra days worth of hotel, dining, and transportation costs. Its certainly doable if you shop around and find a great hotel rate for 2 nights. Free shuttles and free breakfasts will help save money and you can choose a hotel with options within walking distance.

We always take our 4 kids on cruises much cheaper then land vacations but we had to learn how to play with the numbers. We just did Grand Cayman and swam with the sting rays and did 3 snorkel stops for $35 each and had an amazing time and the first time we went we booked through the boat and it cost us $79 each and wasn't nearly as fun. After several cruises we learned how and what to do to make our money work for us. WE always book inexpensive hotels near the airports that offer free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ports. If we decide to drive we book a hotel that offers cruise parking (saves about $100 for a 7 day cruise) and they offer shuttle service to the port as well. Our first cruise cost us TOOOO much because we were just inexperienced and I didn't know about cruise critic and had no idea about all these little secrets. We became addicted to cruising and had to find a way to make it work for us so I quickly found a way to book it where we save the most money and make the most out of every port.

We just looked into doing a cruise instead of our annual Myrtle Beach trip. The price tag for MB was going to be $1600 for 9 days of food/drinks/hotel etc.

Like I said am I missing something? I thought cruises were supposed to be cheap?

Damn, last time I went to Myetle beach it was for 4 days, 3 nights and it cost us a little over $1000. Have you checked Charleston for your cruise?, do you live in SC?

Use hotwire and get great deals on your hotel,pre cruise. Let me tell you a cruise does not compae to a MB vacation, its so much more relaxed.

For what you get, ALL you can eat, a cruise in my mind can't be beat.

Our trip to MB would be first week of September - so was quoting that timeframe as well as same for cruise.

We drive down from Canada and stop over night, hence the 9 days.

But still quite a price difference. Our food/drinks usually run us $400 for the two of us for week. Condo rental is $809 for 8 nights.

I still don't see how the cruise is inexpensive as everyone talks about. Do most people just stay on the ship the whole cruise?

I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples here...

Driving obviously will cost you money - not as much as flying down, but there is still a cost.

$400 seems like very little for food/drink for 2 for a week? Are you eating out for all of your meals? On a ship you are basically getting fed for every meal - no cooking for yourself etc. While alcohol isn't included, it isn't required that you purchase it either.

As well, do you not spend money while in Myrtle Beach? No activities other than the beach? If not, that's fine, but then comparing that to a cruise with excursions doesn't make sense.

For your particular style of vacationing, you may find a land-based vacation still suits you better, but it will benefit you more to compare things on a more equal basis, rather than in generalities.

We just looked into doing a cruise instead of our annual Myrtle Beach trip. The price tag for MB was going to be $1600 for 9 days of food/drinks/hotel etc.

I looked at a Carnival Cruise on Freedom for a 6 day out of Fort Lauderdale. On the surface it looked reasonable. Once getting into the booking the cheapest room was an inside "guaranteed". But when talking with the rep. the least sea sick is mid ship deck 7. So that actually was going to cost $133 more even with $100 on board credit.

Then I went to look at the ports for excursions - sheesh!

Not much in Florida Keys and not cheap. Beach in Grand Cayman $40 per person for 3.5 hrs; Beach and Meal in Jamaica $70 per person.

At this point, along with flights & luggage fee's we are now at the $1843.48 mark and we need a pre-cruise hotel and haven't tipped or had any drinks!

Like I said am I missing something? I thought cruises were supposed to be cheap?

IMO cruises are the best vacation value. Flights on the other hand are EXPENSIVE.

IMO cruises are the best vacation value. Flights on the other hand are EXPENSIVE.

I agree- cruises are a great value. However, they aren't cheap (and we have a next to $0 sign and sail bill...). I'm not sure a cheap vacation exists.

Our trip to MB would be first week of September - so was quoting that timeframe as well as same for cruise.

We drive down from Canada and stop over night, hence the 9 days.

But still quite a price difference. Our food/drinks usually run us $400 for the two of us for week. Condo rental is $809 for 8 nights.

I still don't see how the cruise is inexpensive as everyone talks about. Do most people just stay on the ship the whole cruise?

We booked a 7 day cruise out of Tampa in September for $449 person for a balcony room. So our $998 (for two people) includes room, all food, entertainment.

I looked at a Carnival Cruise on Freedom for a 6 day out of Fort Lauderdale. On the surface it looked reasonable. Once getting into the booking the cheapest room was an inside "guaranteed". But when talking with the rep. the least sea sick is mid ship deck 7. So that actually was going to cost $133 more even with $100 on board credit.

Not much in Florida Keys and not cheap. Beach in Grand Cayman $40 per person for 3.5 hrs; Beach and Meal in Jamaica $70 per person.

At this point, along with flights & luggage fee's we are now at the $1843.48 mark and we need a pre-cruise hotel and haven't tipped or had any drinks!

You are comparing a cruise to Myrtle Beach - again and for the how manyith time at MB. No comparison in my opinion. We do a family get together every year but at least we do it in a different place every year. We also do travel by ourselves including cruising.

I have been to Myrtle Beach many years ago and again, in my opinion, once was one time too many.

DON

The difference in a cruise vacation and a land vacation to me is that with cruising, you're not stressed out after you get back home. Sure, you go through some withdrawals of not being waited on hand and foot :D,or you can't just run up to the Lido deck, but you're still so relaxed afterwards. Often times, with my family at least, with anything besides a cruise it feels like I need a vacation to recouperate from the "vacation" we just had.

Thanks to all.

I just booked my very first cruise for Sept 2012 Carnival Freedom.

When we booked the first deck was already gone. 2nd deck I didn't want as it was below main dining room.

I went for Summer Savings of $439 with $100 obc. But that only guaranteed deck 1/2 mid ship.

TA to the rescue - she paid the difference to get us to deck 7 midship exactly middle cabin inside!!!!!

WOOOOO HOOOOOO.

Thanks to all!

Flights went up while we were booking cruise :(

Now that hunt begins......

Was $594 all in out of toronto to FLL....... wait and see, hope and pray

Try to getting in a day before that like a Thursday and grab a $69 per night at La Quinta or something. It should be much cheaper overall.

IMHO; the first cruise is the most expensive. After that initial cruise you begin to realize what you could and could not live without. One such thing is the excursions. You don't have to go on excursions at every port. You mentioned Key West, this is a port honestly that walking around and shopping is best...not excursions.

My best advice (and your already practicing this) is to do your research! There is a TON of great info here at CC and other sites as well. Our experience with four children in tow has been that cruising is always more cost effective than a land vacation. Good luck!

Least seasick room is deck 7 mid ship?

Really?

If seasickness is a concern, just being midship on a lower deck (Riviera deck 1 or Main Deck 2, on the Freedom, for instance) could help--you don't necessarily need to pay to be on deck 7--that may just be a salesperson trying to get you to spend more.

Avoid the front of the ship (on any deck) as more motion could be felt.

Don't book a guarantee room, as you can't pick your room location.

Take Dramamine if need be. It works.

Thanks to all.

I just booked my very first cruise for Sept 2012 Carnival Freedom.

When we booked the first deck was already gone. 2nd deck I didn't want as it was below main dining room.

I went for Summer Savings of $439 with $100 obc. But that only guaranteed deck 1/2 mid ship.

TA to the rescue - she paid the difference to get us to deck 7 midship exactly middle cabin inside!!!!!

WOOOOO HOOOOOO.

Thanks to all!

AH..HA!

This explains a LOT actually. Many TAs will get allocated rooms. It sounds like yours had a group of mid-cabin 7th floor units available (probably at a discount-negotiated rate). When they could not "upsell" you into one, they upgraded you for "free" rather than contacting NCL to book one of the lower-floor cabins (pay probably didn't pay any "difference" but YOU did get a better value). Things like that are common in the TA world and it looks like it worked out well for you. Congrats on the decision now comes the fun part...waiting.

IMHO; the first cruise is the most expensive. After that initial cruise you begin to realize what you could and could not live without. One such thing is the excursions. You don't have to go on excursions at every port. You mentioned Key West, this is a port honestly that walking around and shopping is best...not excursions.

Unfortunately I have had the opposite experience... First cruise we actually spring for a "suite"... Bad idea really. It was on a Fantasy class, where the suites are smaller than on other ships, and it was on the top deck and we got a lot of motion, but we didn't know any better. I think we paid around $1500 for the cruise and our S&S bill was around $600 for 5 days... fast forward to our 5-day on the Glory... it was last-minute, so we opted for a cheaper room and got an OV on Deck 2. We paid $1150 for the cruise fare but the S&S bill (still on 5 days!) was around $1200.

I guess this is an illustration that how much or how little you spend onboard can vary a lot!

Actually the one pushing for deck 7 was the Carnival Rep. My TA asked me what I wanted. She had saved a guarantee for me and we decided against that in case of a bad room. But when we went to get inside deck 1 (price jump but $100 obc) they were sold out. I did not want deck 2 midship with the dining room over top. So next was deck 6 (price jump here) but it was right over promenade so wasn't sure about that. Next was deck 7, my girlfriend has always told me it was good to be between 2 decks of cabins only.

So we were able to get exactly centre inside room. And our wonderful TA contributed the difference on the rooms. God Bless Her.

I live in SC, and lived in Myrtle Beach at one point for almost two years, so I will readily admit that I can't begin to imagine how you're comparing a MB vacation with a cruise. In September, you can just travel a little further...I mean, let's face it, you're already driving FOREVER so what's 8 more hours...and get a very well priced cruise out of Port Canaveral. ALL of your food is included, ALL of your entertainment is included, and there's tons of private options you can take that aren't as pricey as Carnival's excursions.

And even more important to me: Who can compare Roatan, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya, Turks & Caicos, etc... to Myrtle Beach?! For 300-400 hundred more dollars you can see multiple places with lovely cultures. It's not really a comparison to me. Just my opinion, and again I know I LIVE here, so it may also color my view, but to compare a week at MB to multiple days of unique and beautiful Caribbean islands isn't really a comparison to me for that small amount of difference.

Right now, the Legend out of Tampa is only 439 for a balcony or 409 for an OV in December...I think it's only 499.00 in September. It goes to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman with two sea days. Two people WITH taxes, etc...would be around 1000.00 bucks. An inside is only 369..so it would be super cheap that way. You could cave tube in Belize, hang on the beach or go with Victor Bodden in Roatan, Nachi Cocum in Cozumel and shop in Grand Cayman and STILL be less than 1600.00 dollars for 2 people. Heck, you'd probably have some of that left over for booze, pictures, tips, etc... Cruisin' all the way!! :D

So hubby just asked:

How do you get back from beach after cab has left?

Guess he is worried about being left behind?

Valid concern but if you do the right research, problem is easy to avoid. If you choose a popular beach area where taxi's are a dime a dozen on cruise days then this shouldn't be an issue. Some taxi's will even commit to come get you at a specified time...not sure how trust worthy they are but many people have great luck with this. Worst case scenario, you can turn the old cell phone on and call for a taxi and get stuck with those nasty international rates, lol ;)

We personally prefer to rent a vehicle in any port that is reasonable to drive in (i.e., Cozumel and St Thomas to name a few).

Archived