Aix, Arles or Avignon? Views please.

dritan

Hi

I see there have been a lot of threads lately about the Marseille stop. But I wanted to asked opinions really.

We are very much DIYers and use public transport all the time and can see that from Marseille, we have pretty reasonable trains to these three towns. With a 3/4 day ( 7am-4pm), I feel that we can only really do one of these - with a walk through Marseille at the end.

We like walking around and exploring rather than going into museums or shopping. My natural preference would be Arles, due to my interest in all things Roman, but having already been to Pompei and Rome earlier in the cruise, it might be a bit of overkill for my brother. Avignon certainly has history and Aix has the Paul Cezanne connection.

Which option would you go for ( for those who have already been) and why?

Many thanks:)

Hi

I see there have been a lot of threads lately about the Marseille stop. But I wanted to asked opinions really.

We are very much DIYers and use public transport all the time and can see that from Marseille, we have pretty reasonable trains to these three towns. With a 3/4 day ( 7am-4pm), I feel that we can only really do one of these - with a walk through Marseille at the end.

We like walking around and exploring rather than going into museums or shopping. My natural preference would be Arles, due to my interest in all things Roman, but having already been to Pompei and Rome earlier in the cruise, it might be a bit of overkill for my brother. Avignon certainly has history and Aix has the Paul Cezanne connection.

Which option would you go for ( for those who have already been) and why?

Many thanks:)

The Roman structures are actually better preserved in Arles than they are in Rome. The stadium is like the Colisseum, but much better preserved and still in use. We enjoyed Arles, but only drove through Aix. Also liked Les Baux. But you would need a car or do a tour to get there.

Hi, I see there have been a lot of threads lately about the Marseille stop. But I wanted to asked opinions really. We are very much DIYers and use public transport all the time and can see that from Marseille, we have pretty reasonable trains to these three towns. With a 3/4 day ( 7am-4pm), I feel that we can only really do one of these - with a walk through Marseille at the end. We like walking around and exploring rather than going into museums or shopping. My natural preference would be Arles, due to my interest in all things Roman, but having already been to Pompei and Rome earlier in the cruise, it might be a bit of overkill for my brother. Avignon certainly has history and Aix has the Paul Cezanne connection. Which option would you go for ( for those who have already been) and why? Many thanks.

Much might depend on the logistics. Aix is closest to Marseille. BUT, Aix is a larger city with more challenges moving around there. Both Arles and Avignon are wonderful. Here are some added notes from our experiences on these great places, plus some pictures below.

AVIGNON is "one of the great art cities of France". Its old part of town has the Papal Palace, seat of Popes 1309-1377, street musicians perform near palace; art museum in Place du Palais open Wednesday through Monday, population of 87,000, town is on Rhone River. Once the religious, political and financial capital, Avignon is today a cultural capital and plays host annually in July to the largest festival of live theatre in the world. It has some of the best example of Gothic architecture in Europe.

AIX-EN-PROVENCE (population of 143,000) with Cezanne's studio on the road to Entremont; university town founded 122 B.C. as first Roman settlement in Gaul, near thermal springs, dining at Gu et Fils. An elegant and beautiful town, the visitor will enjoy discovering its ‘thousand fountains’ as he or she roams through its labyrinth of narrow streets. Aix-en-Provence is also renowned worldwide for its unique classical music festival.

ARLES is a highest priority area/city with Roman ruins, including 20,000 seat arena where bull fights are held in the summer; founded 49 B.C. by Julius Caesar, population of 52,000, Van Gogh's former home.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 76,485 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are two views in Avignon in connection with the Papal Palace that is the most historic part of this central town in Provence.:

AvignonGothicBuildings.jpg

ProvenceAvignonPopePalace.jpg

Famed painter Vincent Van Gogh had many ties to Provence and here is a monument to him in Arles. Many of his best works of art were done in this scenic area.:

ProvenceVVGogh.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the fun at a market day in Provence:

ProvMarketShopping.jpg

ProvCheeseMarket.jpg

Thanks for the replies - woh - those pics look great.

I've been reading a bit today and seems the effort to get from the ship to the station will probably take longer than I thought! We will be on the Epic so will either pay for the port shuttle to Joliette and walk, or get the number 35 bus and walk.

I'm almost tempted to just pick the location based on which train is leaving next, when we get to the station!

Thanks for the replies - woh - those pics look great. I've been reading a bit today and seems the effort to get from the ship to the station will probably take longer than I thought! We will be on the Epic so will either pay for the port shuttle to Joliette and walk, or get the number 35 bus and walk. I'm almost tempted to just pick the location based on which train is leaving next, when we get to the station!

YES! The logistics are important. Good idea to consider going where the train gets you there first and/or in the best manner. Appreciate the nice comments on the pictures.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 76,485 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived