extra "taxes" for private transportation from the airport?

cherry06

I'm trying to find the best way to travel from FCO to our hotel in Rome and after reading several suggestions on CC I started researching several companies that provide transfer services. There were several that showed rates less than the 40 euros set for taxies...is that right? Has anyone been able to get a better price by booking a private shuttle?

Also...a couple of the companies eluded to there being "possible additional taxes" such as a 12 euro tax for "entering the historic center and a 2 euros for "airport private pick-up service tax". Does anyone know anything about this? Is this just their way of actually getting the higher rate?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Debbie

It would surprise me if you can find any transfer for less than the 40 EURO ($52) the taxi's charge. Taxi's are supposed to be regulated, the only time you might run into problems is if you are arriving early or late (like before 7am and after 9pm? Then the taxis switch to night rates.

I used viator dot com and paid $23 pp for a shuttle transfer, which was $46 for 2, but just checked now and it has gone up to $27 pp so that would be $54 for 2.

If you want a private transfer, it is going to cost you more, JMHO. Unless you also use that company for tours. Sometimes they will discount if you use them more than once.

These may all be shared shuttle service (only one actually says that on the site)...are there any problems using a shared service?? I don't know how those work. And I'm still concerned about these "extra taxes" they say might be applied. Here's what I found:

Bobslimosinerome.com and Rome by Limo (might be the same company):

shared 38 euros (2 people)

Romashuttle: 43 euros one way (84 2-way) for up to 4 people

Airportshuttlerome.com: 37euros one way 74 2-way

Airportconnection.it: 39-44 euros

Two of the sites mention the possible "extra tax"

Any thoughts?

I have no idea what they might mean by extra tax, but if there are two of you just take a cab. With the shared shuttle you might be the last hotel they go to and/or you may have to wait a while at the airport until everyone in the share arrives. With a cab you go as soon as you are ready and go directly to your hotel, for 40 Euro.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that 40 Euros (each) if there is two of you or a total of 40 Euros? I'm going under the assumption that there is no stupid questions just stupid mistakes. :) If it's not for both why wouldn't you take the shuttle at 27 Euros each? How many do the shuttle hold? Thanks for the info.

Is that 40 Euros (each) if there is two of you or a total of 40 Euros? I'm going under the assumption that there is no stupid questions just stupid mistakes. :) If it's not for both why wouldn't you take the shuttle at 27 Euros each? How many do the shuttle hold? Thanks for the info.

The taxi rate is for the cab, which can include up to four people. Here is the official information on the City of Rome's web site: http://www.comune.roma.it/wps/portal/pcr?jppagecode=taxi_tar_fisse_aero_eng.wp

This was my quote, all tolls, expenses etc included. If you need transport from hotel-Civitavecchia, and Civit.-FCO you may be able to discount somewhat for multiple booking with same service. This is mine, I have used them before, very fast, always on time. info@touring-car.it

Rick

I'm trying to find the best way to travel from FCO to our hotel in Rome and after reading several suggestions on CC I started researching several companies that provide transfer services. There were several that showed rates less than the 40 euros set for taxies...is that right? Has anyone been able to get a better price by booking a private shuttle?

Also...a couple of the companies eluded to there being "possible additional taxes" such as a 12 euro tax for "entering the historic center and a 2 euros for "airport private pick-up service tax". Does anyone know anything about this? Is this just their way of actually getting the higher rate?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Debbie

Depending on where your hotel is, there's direct rail service from the airport to many of Roma's train stations. The fastest (and most expensive) is the Leonardo service from the airport to Termini, I believe it's €14

Archived