Canada/New England Cruise and Bikes......

sail7seas

DH and I have not been on bikes in many years but I think we'd like to rent one in maybe Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island and have some fun for the day.

Has anyone done that? Do you remember where you got your bikes? Did you prereserve?

I've been reading the ads to buy us bikes to use for the summer and can't decide what to get. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

The Canada and New England sections of the Ports board? They're not very active but I think I've seen references to bike rentals in the past. Check last summer's posts.

Thanks. I did a search on the New England Board for 'bike riding' and 'bicycle rental' but came up with no matches. That board is rather quiet though.

Assume that you're docking in Halifax and not Yarmouth?? Then see below.

http://www.pedalandseaadventures.com/bike-rentals.html

That's GREAT, Richard. Thank you. They sound like a nice company. I'll pursue contact with them. I like that they will deliver the bikes to the ship.

Very Handy!

Pedal and Sea offers a one day tour of the Aspotogan Peninsula on their site. They weren't around when we cycled around Hubbards/St. Margaret's Bay/the peninsula, but we brought our own bikes for that trip.

Since Pedal and Sea sounds like they will deliver a bike in the Halifax area, perhaps they would pick you up for a tour as well. The Aspotogan is a gorgeous, low traffic area with some good, challenging hills. My DH and I hit our highest speed ever on the tandem on one of the downhills.

Hubbards was our base that week, and is a wonderful shoreline village. We had the misfortune to be there when the Swissair crash happened, and then with the Air Canada strike our trip home was a personal version of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". Regardless, we have great memories of the cycling and the friendly locals.

I hope you can get out of Halifax and have a great ride.

I don't know if they rent or do day tours, but you might also look up Freewheeling Adventures, located on the peninsula as well.

We last took this cruise in 2002 and took a bike tour on Prince Edward Island. Nice time, maybe 20 to 30 on the tour and it was on an old RR tracks to trails. Nothing very difficult.

And don't forget to take your bike helmets - they are mandatory. I am sure they will have some at the rental place, but I prefer using my own, just like I prefer using my own snorkel equipment.

I see that HAL has a bicycle excursion at Charlottetown. That sounds like the way to go- the brochure says the excursion is over flat terrain and everything is included. No hassle renting your own bikes and not knowing the best bike paths to travel.

My choice, though, would definetely be the excursion to Green Gables. I'd take this cruise just to go to PEI and would re-read the books on the journey. ;)

Thank you, everyone, for your wonderful suggestons. GREATLY helpful.

(Seeing as we board Maasdam 30 minutes from our home ( :) how wonderful is that!!?! :) ), it will be very easy for us to bring along helmets. We wouldn't dream of biking without one.)

Sail,

Earlier you asked what sort of bikes to buy if you wanted to purchase one. Both Peter and I have bikes which we love. We bought "Giant" mountain bikes and use them on the many bicycle tracks around Melbourne. It is a wonderful way to keep fit.

We have just returned from 2 weeks in FNQ up at the Barrier Reef and we rented bikes up there for a day to ride around. We did take up our own helmets with us.

Good luck with the bikes. If you purchase them you will have a lot of fun.

Jennie

Thank you, Jennie. Appreciate your recommendation.

Happy you had such a nice trip and enjoyed your biking. It is a great way to keep in shape. We want some more variety in our 'fitness program' but want it to be enjoyable and not just a chore. Biking will be a great addition to our other activities and more choices are always good.

We're looking forward to biking on our upcoming cruise.

Archived