Excursion for kids ages 9 and 11

WANDA28

Any suggestions on excursions for my kids and I? I would like to take them on a snorkel tour but none of us are strong swimmers and I will be the only adult tending to both . Any other ideas? Is there a good Mayan Ruins tour with some beach time?

As far as Mayan ruins go, your ship might a run an excursion to Tulum on the mainland. It's a very long excursion, which involves taking a ferry over and back, and a bus ride to Tulum and back. So definitely do it through the ship if you do it. You can't climb on the ruins, but they are situated on a cliffside, along the sea, with a beach down below. There are stairs that lead down to the beach. I did this when our ship docked on the mainland, but not from Cozumel. The scene of the ruins on the cliffside is pretty amazing! There is not a whole lot of free time at the ruins/beach with the tour though. Maybe an hour. There are no decent ruins on Cozumel.

For an easier day, you can take a cab to Paradise Beach. Free admission, $2 beach chairs, $12 for use of water toys/kayaks/life jackets. The water toys are great for kids and kids at heart to climb on and slide down. There is a pier on the property. At the end of it is a platform with steps that take you into the water. Right there is a ton of fish. They like it around the end of the pier, so you'd be surrounded. Away from there, there isn't much to see with snorkeling. But the kids wouldn't have to go too far away from you, or do much swimming, to see plenty of fish. And the water was only about 5' deep there.

Chankanaab Park is just a cab ride away. It's around $20pp admission. They have some decent snorkeling right at the entrances to the water. The entries are rocky, & the water is deep, but the fish are right there. They also do sea lion shows. You can also watch, from a distance, the dolphin programs. Lizards are common visitors among the grounds. In December, we plan to try one of Carnival's tours that include snorkeling. I don't know much about snorkel tours that are offered on Cozumel.

I have heard mixed review on the ruins. My kids, 14 and 9, would probably be bored. I am taking them to Chakanaab for the day. Snorkeling at the coral reef, swimming (pool and beach), sea lion shows, manatees, and dolphins.

The website has minimal info. and pics, though. I made my decision based on www.tripadvisor.com and looking at YouTube videos!

And take yourself vs. booking thru the cruise line. Way cheaper:cool:

Good luck!

For fun and water sports, head for either Paradise Beach or Mr Sanchos. Lots of water toys to romp on. If they're interested in learning about Mexico and also seeing marine animals, then head for Discover Mexico and buy a combo ticket to Chankanaab Park across the highway. Chank has lot sof beach activities and dolphin shows. DM is an interesting collection of Mexican history and art (great little slide show) wth scale replicas of many ruins and historical sites in Mexico.

Do a snorkel tour through either Eagle Ray or Fury Catamaran -- no need to be a strong swimmer because everyone wears a floatation vest. Great snorkeling and lots of fish to see! :D

i would say paradise beach

they can snorkel in shallow water, theres kayaking, paddleboarding,

water toys water trampolines, etc

all for 11$ each

so worth it

our 11 year old had a blast there

plus theres a pool, food, showers etc

its about 12$ each way taxi from the pier

i would say paradise beach

they can snorkel in shallow water, theres kayaking, paddleboarding,

water toys water trampolines, etc

all for 11$ each

so worth it

our 11 year old had a blast there

plus theres a pool, food, showers etc

its about 12$ each way taxi from the pier

I have actually been there twice (without kids both times though) before and have decided third times a charm:) I have convinced another friend, who is taking her 9 year old, to go along with us. Are we there yet???

Do a snorkel tour through either Eagle Ray or Fury Catamaran -- no need to be a strong swimmer because everyone wears a floatation vest. Great snorkeling and lots of fish to see! :D

Do you book directly with them? I do not see an excursion with them thru Carnival excursion site.

Archived