Question for all RUNNERS

Title39

Thank you for this thread. I am training for my first race, a 20k. We cruise next week and I'm supposed to do an 8 or 9 mile long run. I think I'll check with a trainer for a deck route. I find that I wimp out on the treadmill. I can't zone out.

Thank you for this thread. I am training for my first race, a 20k. We cruise next week and I'm supposed to do an 8 or 9 mile long run. I think I'll check with a trainer for a deck route. I find that I wimp out on the treadmill. I can't zone out.

Good Luck with your training and race.

You too! I'm not sure if I'll ever have the guts to sign up for a full.

You have to start somewhere and you are nearly halfway there with the 20K. Just take it a step at a time and who knows where you will be down the road.

If you have Netflix, I recommend a movie called "Spirit of the Marathon." It's a documentary on several runners of different skill levels who train for the 2006 Chicago Marathon. It's a nice motivational movie with a little marathon history thrown in.

Spirit of The Marathon is awesome. Spirit of the Marathon Two is coming out this summer and features my friend Dave Mari :)

Also check out Hood to Coast, a movie about relay running.

I find running the decks to be really interesting. I've ran two fulls and I don't know how many halves. Nashville last Saturday and Flying Pig coming up this Saturday.

You can do it!!!!!

I am a marathon runner and have trained for several marathons while cruising.. my last cruise in April included an 18 mile run, which I made it through. I just did it first thing in the morning while I had some down time so I could eat and drink the rest of the day. The best time to do it while you're in port. I run on the treadmills and if the boats moving it can be pretty tough. I try only to skip a run or two at the most. In the past I have decreased my long run on the cruise or just flipped a week in my schedule and did a shorter one while on the cruise and the longer one when I am back... for instance if you're supposed to do 12 miles on the cruise and the following week you're supposed to do 9, then I would do 9 on the cruise and do the 12 the next week. Skipping out on a couple miles shouldn't have too much of an impact so I wouldn't worry too much. Have fun!

You have to start somewhere and you are nearly halfway there with the 20K. Just take it a step at a time and who knows where you will be down the road.

If you have Netflix, I recommend a movie called "Spirit of the Marathon." It's a documentary on several runners of different skill levels who train for the 2006 Chicago Marathon. It's a nice motivational movie with a little marathon history thrown in.

I watched it and loved it! I think that's why I jumped right in to the 20k instead of the 5K I was contemplating.

I am a marathon runner and have trained for several marathons while cruising.. my last cruise in April included an 18 mile run, which I made it through. I just did it first thing in the morning while I had some down time so I could eat and drink the rest of the day. The best time to do it while you're in port. I run on the treadmills and if the boats moving it can be pretty tough. I try only to skip a run or two at the most. In the past I have decreased my long run on the cruise or just flipped a week in my schedule and did a shorter one while on the cruise and the longer one when I am back... for instance if you're supposed to do 12 miles on the cruise and the following week you're supposed to do 9, then I would do 9 on the cruise and do the 12 the next week. Skipping out on a couple miles shouldn't have too much of an impact so I wouldn't worry too much. Have fun!

Good advice. I may tinker around with workout if necessary. Did you do your 18 on ship or in port?

I've seen many cruise threads debating the pros/cons of treadmills vs the ship's running track vs running in port. Since I will be running the NYC Marathon this year, my 8 night cruise in August aboard the Freedom will include quite a bit of training. On paper, I will have to run 40 miles while on my cruise, which includes a 12 mile long run.

This got me wondering how many other runners have cruised during their marathon training and what kind of miles have they logged in while at sea. Also, any tips or suggestions which helped you through it? I'm looking forward to the challenge and having a great cruise.

You'll be fine...8 days on the ship won't hurt you...unless you're trying to win the NYC Marathon. Most marathon runners already have a good "base" or foundation...it's all the food you have to watch out for. :)

"I live to run, and run to live"...runner/cruiser...addicted to both.

I can't tell if you are a man or a woman, but as a woman, particularly, I would be leery about running in port, unless you have some running partners. Even running from home, I am always super careful about running someplace where I know I won't be alone in the middle of nowhere. I'm impressed by those responding who say they have run 10+ miles runs on board - I'm not very good on the treadmill and I got kind of wiped out on the top deck running track from the humidity. But you are from New Jersey so probably more used to humidity than where I come from. I think you could probably tweak your schedule a bit and run your 12 miler either just before you leave or just after you get back and then use the week on the ship as a "drop back" week. Good luck on your training, after 10 halfs I ran my first full last October at Marine Corps Marathon and it was a great race!

Having run a number of marathons, the last being this weekends Big Sur and taking a number of cruises the ship can be a tough place to get your miles in.

If your not an early riser I would look at your port schedule and do your long run in port either on the ship when less people are aboard or ashore.

In my training I would do any long run the day before boarding then any medium runs during the cruise or any cross training.I have never been a fan of a training schedule but if you use one you can alter it since you have some time before the race. Then plan to do a long run when you get home and get back on schedule.

Have a great cruise and NY marathone

I can't tell if you are a man or a woman, but as a woman, particularly, I would be leery about running in port, unless you have some running partners. Even running from home, I am always super careful about running someplace where I know I won't be alone in the middle of nowhere. I'm impressed by those responding who say they have run 10+ miles runs on board - I'm not very good on the treadmill and I got kind of wiped out on the top deck running track from the humidity. But you are from New Jersey so probably more used to humidity than where I come from. I think you could probably tweak your schedule a bit and run your 12 miler either just before you leave or just after you get back and then use the week on the ship as a "drop back" week. Good luck on your training, after 10 halfs I ran my first full last October at Marine Corps Marathon and it was a great race!

Congrats on your Marine Corps Marathon. I would like to run that one some day. My last marathon was in March, the Ocean Drive Marathon in Cape May, NJ.

Male runner here. I agree with your statement about a woman running alone in port. On my last cruise (Canada) I ran alone in port (St. John). Prior to going I made sure I had ID, some cash, and advised my family of the general route I planned for myself. And that was in Canada, which for all intents and purposes, feels like an extension of the United States. Needless to say there were no problems, just a lot more hills than I expected.

For my Caribbean cruise I will take similar precautions, and probably see if I can find a running partner through the ships fitness staff, cruise critic roll call, etc...

Having run a number of marathons, the last being this weekends Big Sur and taking a number of cruises the ship can be a tough place to get your miles in.

If your not an early riser I would look at your port schedule and do your long run in port either on the ship when less people are aboard or ashore.

In my training I would do any long run the day before boarding then any medium runs during the cruise or any cross training.I have never been a fan of a training schedule but if you use one you can alter it since you have some time before the race. Then plan to do a long run when you get home and get back on schedule.

Congrats on your Big Sur Marathon. I've only driven on Big Sur, don't know if I would want to run that one. I am seriously considering doing my long run the day before I get on the ship as we are flying into Florida the day before the cruise. It will have to be an early evening run, but that beats the treadmill anyday.

Congrats on your Big Sur Marathon. I've only driven on Big Sur, don't know if I would want to run that one. I am seriously considering doing my long run the day before I get on the ship as we are flying into Florida the day before the cruise. It will have to be an early evening run, but that beats the treadmill anyday.

Thanks for the Congrats

You also can get a nice long run in the morning before Embarkation

Tread mills don't fit everyone but for me they are good for speed training.

Remember you will get plenty of leg work in just using the stairs on the ship

Once again enjoy the cruise

Archived