Question for all RUNNERS

Title39

I've seen many cruise threads debating the pros/cons of treadmills vs the ship's running track vs running in port. Since I will be running the NYC Marathon this year, my 8 night cruise in August aboard the Freedom will include quite a bit of training. On paper, I will have to run 40 miles while on my cruise, which includes a 12 mile long run.

This got me wondering how many other runners have cruised during their marathon training and what kind of miles have they logged in while at sea. Also, any tips or suggestions which helped you through it? I'm looking forward to the challenge and having a great cruise.

First off. Congrats on doing NY. I ran it back in 2002. It's an amazing course. With incredible crowd support like you've never seen.

As for the training. I think your better off on the treadmill than the track. Going in circles can be hard on your ITB unless you can change lanes every 10-15 laps. I have trained on treadmills during work travel and I was fine.

Probably will help keep the weight gain at bay a little too :)

Good luck!

Hi

I love to run-jog-walk. I find the outdoor loop is ok early in the morning but after 9:30 you'll have many walkers on the track and although most are very respectful and move out of the way quickly some are oblivious. Ports of call could be fun, some new scenery but it might be way too hot by the time you get off the ship.

So I guess that leaves you with the treadmills. Not a bad option, the gym isn't busy on port days and very early morning or afternoon on sea days.

Good luck and have fun!

I saw the title of this thread and thought this would either be about pier runners or rum runners. Never even dawned on me that it would be about real runners. LOL. Good luck in the marathon. :D

Hi

I love to run-jog-walk. I find the outdoor loop is ok early in the morning but after 9:30 you'll have many walkers on the track and although most are very respectful and move out of the way quickly some are oblivious. Ports of call could be fun, some new scenery but it might be way too hot by the time you get off the ship.

So I guess that leaves you with the treadmills. Not a bad option, the gym isn't busy on port days and very early morning or afternoon on sea days.

Good luck and have fun!

Oh yes, Scout out a nice route in the port you will be in for the long run. What a great way to see some of the sights. I did this on my last cruise. Wasn't training, just went for a run. Loved it!

First off. Congrats on doing NY. I ran it back in 2002. It's an amazing course. With incredible crowd support like you've never seen.

As for the training. I think your better off on the treadmill than the track. Going in circles can be hard on your ITB unless you can change lanes every 10-15 laps. I have trained on treadmills during work travel and I was fine.

Probably will help keep the weight gain at bay a little too :)

Good luck!

Thanks. I expect most of my running will be on the treadmill and while in port. It goes without saying, the benefit off all this running is I can eat whatever I want AND as much as I want.

I saw the title of this thread and thought this would either be about pier runners or rum runners. Never even dawned on me that it would be about real runners. LOL. Good luck in the marathon. :D

Thanks. I'm also familiar with rum runners. ;)

Cruising is the only time that I run on a treadmill. It is always so windy on the track, and such a small circle that that it was uncomfortable to run up there. Going early (about 6 AM) I never had a problem getting a treadmill for as long as I needed. When we were getting off of Alaska Cruise, we noticed that the Anchorage 1/2 marathon was the next day and signed up. What a blast. The only race I've ever run that they had to divert the course because a bear was in the route.

The track is great for a couple miles in the morning. A 10-12 miles run I would do on the treadmill, or in port if you can map a decent run. Good for you with the marathon, never done one. Have a half marathon, couple 10k's and a Tough Enough this summer...those are always good for bloody fun.;)

I cruised March 2008 and ran a marathon in May so I was in the middle of training. I thought I did a long run on the cruise, I looked at my training log and I guess I didn't. I ran 6 miles a day on the track. I think you could do 12 no prob, if the track gets boring or painful move to a treadmill. I do bring a clicker to keep track of the laps. I love running the track on the ship.

My wife and I had a marathon 2 weeks after stepping off the cruise ship. It was our first marathon so my training advice is not the best, but my wife and I utilized the treadmill. We didn't use the track at all.

When we were getting off of Alaska Cruise, we noticed that the Anchorage 1/2 marathon was the next day and signed up. What a blast. The only race I've ever run that they had to divert the course because a bear was in the route.

Sounds like a great experience, the bear and all. :)

I will definitely check for local races on the islands, but I'm not expecting much as most of our stops are on weekdays.

So the only input I have here regarding the treadmill is that I had to stop running on it while we were at sea. On our ship, the treadmills were all the way forward and facing forward so when the ship rocked back and forth it would put pressure on my shins. Holy shin splits! I had basically finally gotten away from flare-ups and as soon as I started running on the 'mill, that was that.

So if you are prone to leg injuries, and the boats a'rockin...be more careful than you usually would!

My last cruise was 2 weeks before my first half marathon. It was so hard to remain disciplined and make an effort to go run! I think I logged 3 short runs, about 3-4 miles, on the treadmill. Know that some of the treadmills are set on kilometers and not miles. I didn't realize that until someone told me. I thought they needed to be serviced. Personally, I do better on the treadmill, where I can get in a zone and tune everything around me out than I do running in circles on a track. I wouldn't want to run in port. It's too hot and I'd much rather lay out on the beach. :)

Good luck to you! The NYC marathon is the best of the best. I'm about to register for my second half marathon, and thinking of doing a full next year! :eek:

Title.

Check runtheplanet.com for your ports and running routes posted by other runners. Certainly St Thomas and Antigua are listed here and havea coupel of posts each. Didn't see Tortola. In Saint Thomas you can contact the Caribbean Surf Co. and inquire about STAR (St Thomas Association of Runners) events or running routes. They may supply a map for the 8 mile race they put on.

I think a relatively safe place on St. Thomas is national Park, just past Red Hook. But it's loops, I recall being about a mile around. Road to Redhook from havensight isn't too safe for running during the day time witht he traffic. But you can run from Havensight thru Charlotte Amalie to Crown Bay along the bay via a side walk (about 3 miles one way total).

Can't speak for Antigua as I've never been there.

At your point in training, based on the mileage you said you have to do, I'd guess your scheduled long run is 10-12 miles. Best to do that in a port. On ship, mix your runs between the track and a treadmill: warmup 2-4 laps easy jog/walk, then hit a treadmill for a steady state run (1/2- 1 mile), out to the deck for a lap or 2, back to the treadmill for an up tempo run (race pace -30 seconds for 1/2 mile,i.e., if race pace is 8 minute miles, do these at a 7:30 pace), walk/jog 1/4 mile or jog 2 laps on deck, repeat for 4-6 reps. That'll give you 5-6 miles with 1/2 the workout being a solid interval type training and less boredom factor. You can reverse directions on the deck each rep too.

On alternate days, just jog 2-3 miles. One time on tread, next time on deck (reversing direction each mile or every 10 laps).

Title.

Check runtheplanet.com for your ports and running routes posted by other runners. Certainly St Thomas and Antigua are listed here and havea coupel of posts each. Didn't see Tortola. In Saint Thomas you can contact the Caribbean Surf Co. and inquire about STAR (St Thomas Association of Runners) events or running routes. They may supply a map for the 8 mile race they put on.

I think a relatively safe place on St. Thomas is national Park, just past Red Hook. But it's loops, I recall being about a mile around. Road to Redhook from havensight isn't too safe for running during the day time witht he traffic. But you can run from Havensight thru Charlotte Amalie to Crown Bay along the bay via a side walk (about 3 miles one way total).

Can't speak for Antigua as I've never been there.

At your point in training, based on the mileage you said you have to do, I'd guess your scheduled long run is 10-12 miles. Best to do that in a port. On ship, mix your runs between the track and a treadmill: warmup 2-4 laps easy jog/walk, then hit a treadmill for a steady state run (1/2- 1 mile), out to the deck for a lap or 2, back to the treadmill for an up tempo run (race pace -30 seconds for 1/2 mile,i.e., if race pace is 8 minute miles, do these at a 7:30 pace), walk/jog 1/4 mile or jog 2 laps on deck, repeat for 4-6 reps. That'll give you 5-6 miles with 1/2 the workout being a solid interval type training and less boredom factor. You can reverse directions on the deck each rep too.

On alternate days, just jog 2-3 miles. One time on tread, next time on deck (reversing direction each mile or every 10 laps).

Thanks for the response and suggestions. Off to runtheplanet.com ....

Personally I prefer the treadmills because I can choose a routine that includes "terrain changes". I'm used to running outside and running on a perfectly flat surface like a track just doesn't do it for me.

I trained for the Cleveland Marathon last May and was on a 5 day in April. I ran on the treadmill 3 out of the 5 days for 5 miles each.

I was supposed to run 14 miles one of the days. It never happened! I think you'll be fine running a few miles a day on the treadmill. I cannot run well on the track on the ship because of the traffic. Especially if it's a long run. It's not enjoyable at all.

If it is rough seas just know that any run will affect your ankles. My ankles felt a bit sore because it was rough one day and you tend to use different muscles to compensate for the movement of the ship.

Congrats on your marathon. Have fun on your cruise.

I admire your dedication and others too who stick to their routine while cruising. I've been a runner since 1980 and run 5 miles pretty much every day but since I'm retired, I kind of look at cruising as my vacation from running--so I use the time to give my poor legs a rest. I love running but every activity needs a break now and then :)

The only thing I can add is a congratulations on being so discipline to train on a cruise and good luck in the marathon.

The only running I do on a cruise is if someone is trying to take my deck chair while I'm gone to get icecream!

Congrats! As a seasoned marathoner we usually hook up with the trainer in the gym and ask if they have a running loop they do and what time is best. I was able to get a five mile loop and run in between 4:30 to 6:00 am on most ships no problem. I had to do some stair work and deck to deck but it worked and broke up the treadmill work.

If you are going to stick with the treadmill bring compression sleeves and maybe even knew and ankle support because you may have some problems with rolling due to the movement of the ship.

Run planet is an excellent site and map my run is great as well. Good luck and have fun!

I've seen many cruise threads debating the pros/cons of treadmills vs the ship's running track vs running in port. Since I will be running the NYC Marathon this year, my 8 night cruise in August aboard the Freedom will include quite a bit of training. On paper, I will have to run 40 miles while on my cruise, which includes a 12 mile long run.

This got me wondering how many other runners have cruised during their marathon training and what kind of miles have they logged in while at sea. Also, any tips or suggestions which helped you through it? I'm looking forward to the challenge and having a great cruise.

Not to high jack this thread but when I saw question for runners, I immediately thought" dock runners", and thought, this is going to be an interesting thread! LOL

Last fall I was on a 14 day cruise the month before the November Space Coast marathon. During the cruise I was able to log 52 miles including long runs of 15 and 13.1 miles. Virtually all miles were run on the outdoor track. I did run on a treadmill twice during the cruise when it was raining and the outdoor track was closed.

Congrats! As a seasoned marathoner we usually hook up with the trainer in the gym and ask if they have a running loop they do and what time is best. I was able to get a five mile loop and run in between 4:30 to 6:00 am on most ships no problem. I had to do some stair work and deck to deck but it worked and broke up the treadmill work.

Now that is commitment! I don't mind running while on vacation but getting up at 4:30 am, NO CAN DO. :eek:

Last fall I was on a 14 day cruise the month before the November Space Coast marathon. During the cruise I was able to log 52 miles including long runs of 15 and 13.1 miles. Virtually all miles were run on the outdoor track. I did run on a treadmill twice during the cruise when it was raining and the outdoor track was closed.

52, that is some serious nautical miles and a LOT of laps around that little track. I'm really hoping the 4 ports of call will provide me a nice chunk of the mileage.

Archived