I need help with our cruise!!!!

cosmogirlpearl

I have been reading all the threads and I haven't found much about going to Alaska in May. It is not really the time I would choose, but it is a group of us and this is when they wanted. I know it will probably be colder, but what excursions will be good for that time? We are going to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I have read many different things, but I just wanted to get more imput as we are leaving in a week. Thanks.

I have been reading all the threads and I haven't found much about going to Alaska in May. It is not really the time I would choose, but it is a group of us and this is when they wanted. I know it will probably be colder, but what excursions will be good for that time? We are going to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I have read many different things, but I just wanted to get more imput as we are leaving in a week. Thanks.

cosmogirlpearl: We have cruised to Alaska twice in May and will do so again in a few weeks. In May/2002, the temperature in Juneau was in the high 60s while at home in Michigan it was low 40s. Some activities are not available. The cruise excursion list should give you an idea of what is not available. It will be too early for some sport fishing and salmon runs; some bear watches not available; Denali Park on land tour limited access. But the weather in July it just as unpredictable as in May. Just remember to bring clothes that you can layer, along with hat and gloves. May is an excellent time to visit Alaska. Plus, it is not a crowded as high-season, so you can tour the towns more easily.

Hi cosmogirlpearl - we are leaving in two weeks for an Alaskan cruise and there are lots of things we found that we could do. What I did was review the list of excursions available through the ship and then googled the topic to find private tour operators. I also looked through this board for suggestions on private tour operators that have proven to be excellent in each port. I finally decided on:

Juneau - whale watching with Capt. Larry (plus we might do Mt. Roberts Tram if we have time and the energy!)

Skagway - Yukon Horseback Riding Tours (through Southeast Tours)

Ketchikan - Saxman Village & Totem Bight through Sourdough Tours

I booked these about four months in advance so I am not sure what would be available at this late date - my suggestion would be to check for availability ASAP!

Good luck and happy cruising!

Pretty much everything is running in May except bears. May is historically a dry month, but the 10 day forecast isn't looking good for us!

If you're leaving in a week and haven't booked anything, you should try ASAP. The good tours do sell out quickly.

Archived