ATM - how do you track USD?

account4fun

Do the foreign ATM's tell you the EURO and USD amount you're withdrawing? I know that's probably too much to hope for :o

I just wondered how people keep track of their expenses in USD to know how much has been spent and what you have left. I will not have access to a computer to check my balance and I don't want to count on making a call to the bank.

Any insight is appreciated!

I've seen a (very) few ATMs in my travels that will provide currency -- and balances -- in multiple denominations. Most, however, will ONLY provide currency and your balance in the official tender of the country.

You can do a balance inquiry on any ATM to find out how many euros you have left. Then just multiply by a reasonable exchange rate to find out how much you have in US dollars. It's really better to just think in terms of euros (or whatever currency) though.

For any account I have, I always build in a margin just to be on the safe side. For my travel account, I look at my balance and immediately subtract 100 euro (if in Europe) as if the money isn't even there. That's to make sure I have enough reserve to deal with any unexpected charges -- a $5 charge per withdrawal, for example.

It's not so much of a problem with my new Cap One account, because there aren't a lot of extra charges. However, I still think it's a good idea. Last thing I want is the hassle of an overdrawn account while traveling.

When I've made ATM withdrawals the amount was displayed as euros, not dollars. I've never tried to do an inquiry on the balance.

What I do is ... check the exchange rate before I leave, then I round up for each withdrawal. ie if the the rate is $1.32 and I withdraw 200 E, I'll note $270 in my account instead of $264. This covers any change in the exchange rate, plus the bank's fees. My credit union fees are very low so I'm pleasantly surprised when I balance my account.

When I've made ATM withdrawals the amount was displayed as euros, not dollars. I've never tried to do an inquiry on the balance.

What I do is ... check the exchange rate before I leave, then I round up for each withdrawal. ie if the the rate is $1.32 and I withdraw 200 E, I'll note $270 in my account instead of $264. This covers any change in the exchange rate, plus the bank's fees. My credit union fees are very low so I'm pleasantly surprised when I balance my account.

Good idea! I have been assuming worst case scenario and using 1.5 but it would be nice not to have to and have more euros to spend :D

Archived