Civitavecchia Port Question

cruzers j&n

I was wondering if there is anything to do at the actual port of Civitavecchia, perhaps some shopping that's not too difficult to do w/our luggage in tow? Our TA informed us that we may be able to stay on the ship as late as 9 am so I was trying to kill some time prior to heading to the airport. Our flight is at 2 pm so was thinking of asking transfer service to arrive around 9:30 or 10 am. I'm trying to avoid getting to FCO too early. Thx!!

I was wondering if there is anything to do at the actual port of Civitavecchia, perhaps some shopping that's not too difficult to do w/our luggage in tow? Our TA informed us that we may be able to stay on the ship as late as 9 am so I was trying to kill some time prior to heading to the airport. Our flight is at 2 pm so was thinking of asking transfer service to arrive around 9:30 or 10 am. I'm trying to avoid getting to FCO too early. Thx!!

There really isn't much to do in Civitavecchia, it is a grimy, crowded, industrial port town.

Civitavecchia_port.jpg

Also, if it were ME, I'd prefer to get closer to the airport before I killed any time. Italian traffic is notorious.

italian_traffic.jpg

italian_traffic.jpg

Jim&Stan have given you the very best advice: Do get to (or very near) the airport as soon as possible. There are many variables twixt the ship and your flight home - do everything you can to minimize the uncomfortable possibilities!

I concur with JimandStan as well. I would add that some of craziest lines I have stood in were at FCO. Made Frankfurt and Heathrow seem like a cake walk.

If you are intent on doing something, I would recommend a visit to Ostia Antica. I would get moving that direction way before 9:00AM though.

I cannot speak from experience! But I have seen posts that said indeed there are things to do and sights to see in the area, but these were always BEFORE boarding the ship, not after.

From what the earlier posters have said, I'd go to the airport myself ... I can understand not wanting to sit around the airport for so long, but given the crowds and choices ...

Better safe than sorry?

Mura

I can understand not wanting to sit around the airport for so long

That is something that I forgot to put into my original Post, Mura, but the OP only has an hour or two to kill, anyway.

It would take an hour to get to FCO without ANY traffic, which makes it at least 10AM when they get to the Airport, and these days they want you there two hours ahead for an International flight, which means a noon deadline.

Not a lot of wiggle room.

You're right about that! I was thinking (dreaming, I suppose) that there was more time available ...

We left Paris at 7am yesterday to get to CDG for a 10:30 flight. Because May 1st is a holiday there, not much traffic ... and we arrived at the airport around 7:30 to see no lines waiting to check in. Fortunately we'd been able to upgrade to business so we were welcomed in the Air France lounge which enabled us to have some breakfast...

We saw much longer lines when we arrived at JFK, although by the time we arrived at those lines -- they'd pretty much disappeared.

But I'm one who prefers to get there really early (even if I don't have access to the lounge!) so that I don't have tremendous angst while I stand in line somewhere ...

Mura

Not disagreeing about getting to the airport early and allowing plenty of time for travel.

But I will say that FCO was the most uncomfortable, grimy, run down looking airport I experienced in Europe. Had the misfortune of having multiple waits there while trying to get home from Italy last year. The only people who looked more miserable than those of us standing around the gate for our delayed Delta flight - which was eventually cancelled - where the 30 or so smokers cramped into what looked like a 10x10 glass box.

At our gate, there were literally 25 chairs available (I counted) - some of which were broken. The pigeons living inside the terminal were pretty cool though.

So, yeah, if I had time to kill I'd rather spend it somewhere other than the airport - but in this case I agree the OP is better served going to FCO directly.

I too would get to the airport..

We have on occasion booked a pass with www.loungepass.com. They are comfortable salons/lounges which make long waits & connecting flights more tolerable. I have not tried the one at Rome, but if you go onto their site you will find there are 2 lounges in terminal 3.

Wow, thanks for all this great advice. Believe it or not, I was even thinking of making a pit stop in Rome to revisit some areas so thanks for sparing us! Our flight is actually at 2:50 pm (I accidentally thought it was 2 pm) so I asked for a 9:30 am pick-up - should get there in plenty of time. I guess we'll try to keep ourselves busy by having lunch at FCO and pretending we are still on the ship.

p.s. Jim&Stan - have a great time on the Riviera! My TA is going on the same sailing (I told her what a cruise genius you are).

Wow, thanks for all this great advice. Believe it or not, I was even thinking of making a pit stop in Rome to revisit some areas so thanks for sparing us! Our flight is actually at 2:50 pm (I accidentally thought it was 2 pm) so I asked for a 9:30 am pick-up - should get there in plenty of time. I guess we'll try to keep ourselves busy by having lunch at FCO and pretending we are still on the ship.

p.s. Jim&Stan - have a great time on the Riviera! My TA is going on the same sailing (I told her what a cruise genius you are).

Because 9 AM is the absolute deadline for disembarkation, I would not ask for a 9:30 AM pick-up. On the bright side, yours definitely will be the last luggage waiting to be claimed at Civitavecchia!:)

Archived