Chankanaab or somewhere else?

lexanna02

A group of us are cruising and will be in Cozumel at the end of November. We are looking for a place where we can play on the beach, snorkel, and just have a nice, relaxing time. We won't drink, so an AI wouldn't be cost effective for us. Any suggestions?

Absolutely LOVE Chankanaab. We've been twice in the last 7 months and booked our last cruise making sure that we would go to Cozumel again. If you haven't been there before, I personally think it's a must see.

Here's a review of our visit last September: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

Here's my review from March: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33274360&postcount=48

And if you are interested in the Dolphin swim: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30692077&postcount=65

There are links at the bottom of each review to more pictures.

We love it there. :)

And does anyone have any information on food quality & prices at Chankanaab?

I'm not 100% sure about how the situation is now - but I think Chankanaab MUST be booked through the cruise ship. You might check on that, because that would definitely impact the price of the excursion. Have a great time wherever you decide to go.

I'm not 100% sure about how the situation is now - but I think Chankanaab MUST be booked through the cruise ship. You might check on that, because that would definitely impact the price of the excursion. Have a great time wherever you decide to go.

We booked directly through Chakanaab for the Dolphin Swim. http://www.**********************cozumel/chankanaab-national-park.asp

http://www.cozumelparks.gob.mx/

Paradise Beach is where we are headed in September!!

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

I appreciate your input! Any other suggestions will be appreciated, too! We will probably just do the beach & snorkeling at Chankanaab. Any words of wisdom on eating lunch there?

My words of wisdom for eating at Chankanaab...

If you are sitting on the beach, let the server (who runs up and down the beach getting food and drinks) get you the everything/sampler plate. It had everything they had to offer on it and it was GOOD! It was very filling too. It only cost $12 for the plate. My daughter and her boyfriend had done the dolphin swim and decided to stop and eat at the food place right there in front of the swim (by the pool) and it cost them $12 for a burrito plate alone. :eek: She definitely felt ripped off after seeing what we had. :D

IMG7982-M.jpg

We just grabbed a cab at the pier for about $10??? to went to Chank. Paid our admission and had an enjoyable day. We too don't drink so didn't want an AI. Will be doing it again next month. We didn't do the dophins or manatees, just relaxed and did some snorkeling.

Looks like Chankanaab it is! Mitsugirly, thanks for the tips on food! That looks amazing! And your picture reviews were totally awesome! I'm going to share them with the rest of our group! Packedandready, your words definitely made up our minds! I'm ready!

Looks like Chankanaab it is! Mitsugirly, thanks for the tips on food! That looks amazing! And your picture reviews were totally awesome! I'm going to share them with the rest of our group! Packedandready, your words definitely made up our minds! I'm ready!

You are going to have a wonderful time. Make sure to come back and let us know how you liked it. :)

You are going to have a wonderful time. Make sure to come back and let us know how you liked it. :)

Mitsugirly, been awhile since we talked when you were heading to St Thomas and was looking for snorkeling areas. We hadn't been on a cruise for a few years but you were very much involved with ours this years for a couple reasons. We went to Roatan and I had planed on snorkeling and doing the zip lines but the wife was not real keen on the zip line idea till I showed her your daughter doing it. When we got to Roatan she still was back and forth on it and said if a 3 year old can I can also. She loved it. But that was not the only thing that reminded me of you. She did one of your things rom a few cruises ago and missed some steps and broke her foot. Ended up on crutches and wheel chair but also like you kept right on doing things fo rthe rest of the cruise.

Always look forwar to seeing your posts and pictures. I have to post some once I get them all aranged.

The Ump :cool:

John

Mitsugirly, been awhile since we talked when you were heading to St Thomas and was looking for snorkeling areas. We hadn't been on a cruise for a few years but you were very much involved with ours this years for a couple reasons. We went to Roatan and I had planed on snorkeling and doing the zip lines but the wife was not real keen on the zip line idea till I showed her your daughter doing it. When we got to Roatan she still was back and forth on it and said if a 3 year old can I can also. She loved it. But that was not the only thing that reminded me of you. She did one of your things rom a few cruises ago and missed some steps and broke her foot. Ended up on crutches and wheel chair but also like you kept right on doing things fo rthe rest of the cruise.

Always look forwar to seeing your posts and pictures. I have to post some once I get them all aranged.

The Ump :cool:

John

Hey Ump...how's it going? Good to hear from you. I've been on 2 other cruises since the "bone breaking" and I've made sure that I watch every step I take now. :D Sorry to hear about your wife breaking her foot. Ouch. Glad to hear she had the spirit to keep on going. :)

I can't wait to see your pictures/post. Make sure you come back and link it on here so I'll see it. (I don't always catch them all). Which ship did you go on? We went on the Spirit 7 months ago and loved it. Went on the Pearl a month ago and will be on the Dawn in 7 months...going back to Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya. I really want to go back to St Thomas and St Maarten. They have been two of my favorites.

Hi!

Mitsugirly - can you tell me if there are umbrellas or other shaded areas available at Chankanaab? Also, is there a sandy beach area? Asking because we are traveling in late June with my 82 year old Mom and I know it's going to be really Hot.

Thank you!

Hi!

Mitsugirly - can you tell me if there are umbrellas or other shaded areas available at Chankanaab? Also, is there a sandy beach area? Asking because we are traveling in late June with my 82 year old Mom and I know it's going to be really Hot.

Thank you!

TONS of shade. They have the thatched umbrella type with chairs under them on the beach. Tons of sand. The beach is HUGE.

Here is a link to all of my pictures at Chankanaab from around 7-8 months ago: http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Chankanaab-Cozumel-Mexico/19147812_D5w3PP#!i=1491563924&k=PMtsWsq

IMG5745-M.jpg

Here's the link to all of my pictures from 2 months ago: http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Cozumel-Mexico-Chankanaab/22279582_dQxr8T#!i=1780078946&k=Fsd2TdZ

IMG1414-M.jpg

IMG7960-M.jpg

Hey Ump...how's it going? Good to hear from you. I've been on 2 other cruises since the "bone breaking" and I've made sure that I watch every step I take now. :D Sorry to hear about your wife breaking her foot. Ouch. Glad to hear she had the spirit to keep on going. :)

I can't wait to see your pictures/post. Make sure you come back and link it on here so I'll see it. (I don't always catch them all). Which ship did you go on? We went on the Spirit 7 months ago and loved it. Went on the Pearl a month ago and will be on the Dawn in 7 months...going back to Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya. I really want to go back to St Thomas and St Maarten. They have been two of my favorites.

Doing good and wifes foot getting better but not as fast as she would like. Have to figure some way to post the photos without just copying to cruise critic. Putting them together in a movie but had to break them down to each day. Over all movie was over an hour and half. Only 1500 pictures of everything. Which is less than normally take. Guess pushing Peggy around in wheel chair cut into photo time. Love Digital cameras. No development cost!:D

The Ump

John

Read in the posts that this place pretty much shuts down on Sundays. That is the day we are in Cozumel. Am I better off going to Money Bar or some other place for beach snorkeling? I am seeing ruins and going on tours in the other ports, thought it would be nice to relax in Cozumel.

• 4 months later...
Read in the posts that this place pretty much shuts down on Sundays. That is the day we are in Cozumel. Am I better off going to Money Bar or some other place for beach snorkeling? I am seeing ruins and going on tours in the other ports, thought it would be nice to relax in Cozumel.

We're on your very same cruise and have the same concern about Chankanaab. We were quite bummed to find out that we definitely can't do a dolphin experience on Sundays, which was primarily our reason for going there. I think we will either do a snorkeling trip with Eagle Ray Divers and explore the town after, or we will spend the day at Money Bar or Nachi Cocum.

If you are looking for another place to do awesome snorkeling (from what I've heard and all the research I've done prior to picking Chankanaab), Money Bar is your next best bet. It's not the same experience and it's small. But it suppose to have awesome snorkeling. It doesn't cost to get in, but they want you to buy drinks & food while you are there.

It does have the wall and a very small fake like beach above (you enter the water like you do at Chankanaab).

A few pictures of it:

beach2.jpg

beach3.jpg

beach.jpg

I google earthed it once to see what it actually looks like and how small it is. From the port, it's along the way toward Chankanaab and you come to it before Chankanaab. So, not too far from the port.

Since we have done Chankanaab twice in a row, both within a 6 month time frame, we have decided this December to go somewhere else. We want to see new things and we are so worried that every place else will not live up to our expectations.

However, I think we have narrowed it down to Nachi Cocom. It seems like a great place to go and it gets good reviews. It's an AI place that includes the food and I hear it's yummy.

We also thought about Passion Island (the place where they filmed some of the Corona commercials) but NCL doesn't offer an excursion there and I hear it's a long ride to the place, then you have to get on another boat to get to the island. So, I'm not sure it's something I want to do on our own and taking up that much time.

If you have kids, they have a place (I think it's right beside Nachi Cocum) that has water toys for the kids, but I don't think you pay to get in. You just have to buy food and rent the chairs or something like that. It's called Paradise.

There is a place called Playa Mia and it seems to get mixed reviews, but everyone loves their cooking class. I have them on my facebook friends list and they post awesome looking pictures of the place.

I hope you can find a great place for your families to visit. Return and let us know what you did and if you recommend it. :)

Thanks so much for all of your input! We're so glad to have so many other options!

No problem. Just do a search here on the Cozumel board for the names above (or any others you've heard about or people have suggested on these boards) and you'll find reviews and pictures of different places. Don't forget to check with TripAdvisor for reviews as well. :)

Archived