Can you upgrade at check in...?

Upgrades on day of sailing are very rare. I'm not saying it's impossible as I'm sure someone has been able to do it. It's just that the odds are against you. Just ask, the worst they can say is no...Good luck!

I guess I could phone royal Caribbean or my travel agent to see how easy it would be to upgrade.

It's real easy if you have the money to pay and they are available.If you used a TA,you have to go thru them..

I rang RCI today to ask if next year either before or after final payment if there was a grand suite available could I upgrade ?.........I was told that if there was a price drop and the category was not restricted ( new bookings only ).then yes both before and after final payment. She also said that if there was a suite available right up until sailing I would be able to upgrade or get a refund !

I took a note of her name and the date so we shall see what happens next year !!!!

Sandra

I rang RCI today to ask if next year either before or after final payment if there was a grand suite available could I upgrade ?.........I was told that if there was a price drop and the category was not restricted ( new bookings only ).then yes both before and after final payment. She also said that if there was a suite available right up until sailing I would be able to upgrade or get a refund !

I took a note of her name and the date so we shall see what happens next year !!!!

Sandra

Is this a US booking?

OK, explains your post:) No refund here in US after final pay.

I have just re-read my post ...and just to clarify !...I meant by refund ...the difference in price of the GS and our Family Ocean View.

At least that is what I think SHE meant !!!

I am only mentioning my phonecall on this thread because here in the UK we don't get the chance of upgrades etc. as a few of the threads on here are stating.

I really don't think I will be able to upgrade next year or get any price drop refunds.....cause I have heard they are rare.....but I thought it was interesting that this girl told me that she has done this for customers 'right up to sail date' here in the UK !!

Sandra

If the ship isn't full, then it's likely you can upgrade. They do everything possible, however to fill up the ship.

That being said, it was pretty entertaining to be on a ship that had sold only a third of its cabins on a recent repo. I heard plenty of upgrade stories during the cruise. We got a complimentary upgrade from balcony to JS. One guy got checked in for his inside, but then his boarding card didn't work, because they upgraded him to a balcony before he got his security pciture taken, so he had to go back and get a new boarding card. Another guy paid to upgrade to a GS and then talked his way into a second upgrade for an OS.

I'm three weeks out.. Legend of the Seas out of Tokyo..Pretty amazing for a girl from NY.. really excited. I'm booked in an oceanview because when I booked, all the balconies were being held for a groups.. now that they have released baconies, only D!'s are available.. but there are tons of them. When I search for a cabin..many come up in both balcony and outside cabins. The problem is balconies are still being listed as $ 1510 per person... oceanview was only $ 960 per person.. That is a pretty huge differences.. but at three weeks out, I am hoping to get a cheaper upgrade. I filled out my Crown and Anchor upgrade preferences, and am going to call up on the two week out marker.. hoping for a better price.. maybe I will just get lucky.. or maybe at the pier if all else fails.. I have never cruised with so many empty cabins available.. anyone else get lucky on an empty ship by calling up or is it better to wait until I get to the pier.. Crown and Anchor Gold.. Fourth Royal Caribbean cruise.. thanks guys

On that Grandeur repo they were handing out balcony upgrades like candy, but the price difference between an inside and a balcony was pretty small. I started campaigning for my JS upgrade the previous evening, because we were on a B2B and we made diamond on the first leg of the trip. They wouldn't commit to it until after the initial rush of selling upgrades upon boarding, so we didn't get it until that evening.

I suspect the experience will differ greatly from ship to ship.

Archived