What are the tours/excursions like?

firstplacechef

We are sailing on the Viking Paris to Normandy cruise and wondered what the winter tours would be like. We are sailing Christmas week so are excited about the Christmas Markets. I'm sure that Monet's gardens will be closed. Any thoughts? TIA

Monet's gardens (at Giverny) close on November 1st. But I am sure that something else will be subsituted.

We loved our cruise on the Seine - although we did travel a little earlier in the year than you will be.

Weather may be a challenge - so just plan to take lots of layers and dress accordingly. I doubt you will be able to spend much time on the top deck in December - but you can still see lots from the main lounge.

I am sure you will enjoy.

Fran

We found out that the Christmas markets open in November. By Christmas Eve, everything is shut down, and we were disappointed. One thing I am concerned about is I have never heard of Christmas Markets in France-the only ones we have seen have been in Germany and Austria

We did that cruise the last week of November in 2011. There is a large, very glitzy market in Paris along the Champs Elyse (not very traditional). Rouen had a market in front of the church that was more typical. Also the towns themselves had many Christmas decorations. We have been to numerous markets in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, and Hungary but one of my favorites was in France--Strasbourg. You will visit Vernon, the town where Van Gogh died. It is also where he his buried. It is a charming town. If you don't want to do the whole day of Normandy beaches (we did) you can go to Bayeau and then the American Cemetery. Bon voyage!

Archived