Changing cruises

Ok, I'm 48 days out before my cruise and now thinking about changing to a different cruise. I've seen different responses on what happens. Do I lose 50% of the price of the cruise (7 day cruise) or do they apply that to the cruise that I would be changing to? I'm very confused. Hopefully someone can enlighten me. I did not have Early Saver.

Ok, I'm 48 days out before my cruise and now thinking about changing to a different cruise. I've seen different responses on what happens. Do I lose 50% of the price of the cruise (7 day cruise) or do they apply that to the cruise that I would be changing to? I'm very confused. Hopefully someone can enlighten me. I did not have Early Saver.

You are past final payment, so standard cancellation penalities apply.

I would have to look it up, but 50% of what you paid or the full deposit, whichever is more $$$, sounds right to me.

All rates, even ES all have the same cancellation penalities after final payment.

Probably you were reading about ES before final payment and got confused?

We were thinking of going out of Galveston instead of Miami so we wouldn't have to fly. It seems like I read on one post, although I can't find it now, that they would give you a credit. Oh well! I guess we will be going out of Miami. If anyone knows differently, please let me know.

Thanks!

If you don't mind my asking......why are you wanting to switch???

That was my first question too--not something most people seem to want to to. More discussion on canceling, changing dates etc but favoring one cruise over another and wanting to change is not something I've seen much discussion of here. Cruising is fun for most of us and often the destinations or even the ship are secondary--would be interesting to hear the rationale. :)

I did a little more research since I do have the insurance through Carnival. This is what it says:

SPECIAL CRUISE VACATION PROTECTION CANCELLATION ENHANCEMENT

CRUISE VACATION PROTECTION “ANY REASON” CRUISE CREDITS...... Up to 75% of the nonrefundable prepaid Cruise Vacation Cost

Provided EXCLUSIVELY by Carnival Cruise Lines

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise

restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased Cruise Vacation Protection, Carnival Cruise

Lines will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid

to Carnival Cruise Lines, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered

exclusively by Carnival Cruise Lines as a special service to guests that purchase this ticket contract

Cancellation Fee Waiver Program Addendum. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as

blackout periods) may apply. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Carnival

Cruise Lines prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve cancelled with Carnival Cruise Lines, please contact

the Program Administrator at 1-800-331-2796 regarding cruise credits.

Yes! I'm wondering, since you'd be (non Early Saver) cancelling during the Penalty window, do you interpret that you'll get 75% of your original Cruisefare or 75% of the current Penalty + the refundable portion???

Also, sort of related: Since you will now have made a claim on your Trip Insurance for the cruise being cancelled it's unlikely they'll now transfer it to the next cruise, so if you want insurance on the rescheduled trip, I'd expect that they're going to want you to purchase new policy for the re-scheduled trip??????

ken

Ken,

From what I understand I will get 75% of the current Penalty (Penalty is 50% of the cruise) + the refundable portion. Did I misinterpret that?

You are right, I'd have to purchase trip insurance again.

Ken,

From what I understand I will get 75% of the current Penalty (Penalty is 50% of the cruise) + the refundable portion. Did I misinterpret that? That's my interpretation also! Let us know how this all plays out????

You are right, I'd have to purchase trip insurance again. This close to the cruise This might be the time to consider a less expensive and higher coverage 3rd party Policy????

ken

I haven't called in yet, as we are still deciding whether to cancel or not. I'm wondering if I need to call Carnival or the online agency that I booked with. I'm thinking the online agency.

Ken, I will let you know as soon as I find out.

The whole reason for considering canceling is because of the flight. We booked the flight through Carnival (big mistake!) and now that I have researched the flights going in on that day, the earliest we'd get there is 2:10 p.m. (from Austin). That would give us only 1 hour and 20 minutes to get there and board. It makes me too nervous that we could miss the cruise if there is any delay at all. Our first port is HMC, after a day at sea, and we couldn't get there so that would mean that we would not be on the cruise until day 3 (in St. Thomas) on a 7 day cruise, which would be very frustrating! We could just cancel the airfare and do our own but that would be more money out ($300 to cancel flight which was around $700...plus we'd have to purchase new flight for day before). I'm thinking we will lose only about $400 using the insurance. We will see once we decide for sure and I call. If we go out of Galveston, we can just drive.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

The whole reason for considering canceling is because of the flight. We booked the flight through Carnival (big mistake!) and now that I have researched the flights going in on that day, the earliest we'd get there is 2:10 p.m. (from Austin). That would give us only 1 hour and 20 minutes to get there and board. It makes me too nervous that we could miss the cruise if there is any delay at all.

If you airfare is booked thru CCL you will have no problems making the ship they GTY it:cool:

We had to cancel, but we got part of our money back to be placed on reserve for a future cruise. Our PVP told us to save our original booking # & he would apply that money to the new booking if we used it within 2 years.

We just booked our Family post-T'giving cruise & the reserve money was applied towards that booking.

I had to change a Carnival cruise after final payment one time because of my daughter's camp schedule. I don't remember there being a problem or a penalty. Call them and tell them you would like to make the switch, and let us know what happends. Good luck!

If you airfare is booked thru CCL you will have no problems making the ship they GTY it:cool:

Actually if you miss the ship, Carnival says its not their problem as air is booked thru a 3rd party. They do NOT guarantee you will make the ship.

Here is a thread from someone who missed their flight if you dont believe me.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29650679&posted=1#post29650679

After looking at my paperwork, I now know that I don't have the insurance from Carnival. Since I purchased the cruise, flight and insurance through an online agency, the insurance is from a 3rd party provider. They do not have the same clause as Carnival. I think we would lose the entire 50%, which I am not willing to do. Has anyone booked outside of Carnival and then tried to change...maybe Mamaof3princesses or Ken? If so, did they go ahead and give you the credit? I guess the only true way would be to call, but I don't even know if they would talk to me at Carnival since I booked elsewhere. I'm so frustrated but it's my own fault for first, not booking directly through Carnival and second, for booking the airfare with the cruise. Lesson learned. Just wished I had found cruisecritics before so that I would have known these things....

After looking at my paperwork, I now know that I don't have the insurance from Carnival. Since I purchased the cruise, flight and insurance through an online agency, the insurance is from a 3rd party provider. They do not have the same clause as Carnival. I think we would lose the entire 50%, which I am not willing to do. Has anyone booked outside of Carnival and then tried to change...maybe Mamaof3princesses or Ken? If so, did they go ahead and give you the credit? I guess the only true way would be to call, but I don't even know if they would talk to me at Carnival since I booked elsewhere. I'm so frustrated but it's my own fault for first, not booking directly through Carnival and second, for booking the airfare with the cruise. Lesson learned. Just wished I had found cruisecritics before so that I would have known these things....

You're stuck dealing with Carnival via the agency you booked with.

You say you booked via on-line agency - they could still have sold you Carnival's Trip Protection Plan and they could still have sold you Carnival's airfare package - I'm thinking you need to call them ASAP and find this out.

If they didn't sell you Carnival's Vacation Protection Plan, which one (the Insurer and the specific Policy) did they sell you?

If they didn't sell you Carnival's Air Package, I'd be asking /demanding/complaining why THEY booked you so tight and what THEY are going to do about it? If the agency was responsible for such tight booking, maybe you can get them to eat the airline change fees?

ken

I don't know the flight yet...won't know until 21 days from the cruise. I've just looked up airfare from the same online agency as I booked and the earliest I can get to Miami from Austin is 2:10. The travel insurance is not Carnival's, but I didn't think we could list that on here. If we can, I will. I will call my online agent tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Actually if you miss the ship, Carnival says its not their problem as air is booked thru a 3rd party. They do NOT guarantee you will make the ship.

Here is a thread from someone who missed their flight if you dont believe me.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29650679&posted=1#post29650679

WOW I would be pissed. Iknow Ive been cruising alot of other lines in the past 4 years

So Is that a new policy in the past 5 years I thought it used to be gty

Wasnt there a Carnival GTY before than I havnt booked direct flights with them for @ least 10-12 years...... Ok thru a TA but still???????????

I don't know the flight yet...won't know until 21 days from the cruise. I've just looked up airfare from the same online agency as I booked and the earliest I can get to Miami from Austin is 2:10. The travel insurance is not Carnival's, but I didn't think we could list that on here. If we can, I will. I will call my online agent tomorrow and let you know what happens.

It's OK to list Travel Insurance & Policy here - just can't list Travel Agencies and recommend PVP's. ken

Update: I called my TA tonight. My insurance is through Travel Guard Chartis and they do not help you with costs of the non-refundable portion if you cancel for reasons other than listed (which changing cruises because of airfare is not a valid change). The online TA did say that the flight is through Carnival and so if for some reason we miss the ship, I would be flown to St. Thomas since our first port is not accessible by plane (HMC). This would be paid by Carnival along with any other expenses. Since we would lose such a substantial amount, we are going to just stay with the cruise that we chose. I'll update you when we return from the cruise.

Archived