drive from anchorage to seward

Gymjenn14

instead of spending two days in anchorage we are considering using points to rent a car in anchorage and driving to seward. any resources you can point out that show points of interest for the drive? also the hike to the ice fields at Kenai National Park looks amazing so we will probably spend the bulk of our time doing that. any opinions on the hikes in the national park? not really interested in another boat tour. also read about seeing beluga whales at some point along the drive. my daughter would love that.

Hi,

Not sure if the hike you were talking about is the Exit Glacier hike. My friend and I ( early 50's ) did this hike last year with the Exit Glacier Guides. It was a little strenous, but we had prepared for it. We had an awesome time and would recommend it to those who are fit enough to do it. The hike up went throgh some beautiful areas and once on the ice, we saw some very interesting things. We also saw 2 bears on the hike down. Here's a link to the description on their website....

http://www.exitglacierguides.com/ice_hiking_in_Seward_Alaska_glaciers.html

It came up when i used the Hertz web site.

Try the following link

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reservation/gaq/index.jsp?targetPage=whenWhereHowView.jsp

Maybe its not availabe for your dates. It costs $50.00 for the drop fee.

Thanks it might not be available. Its the first cruise into Seward so maybe not enough cars in the area

When I try using points it says NOPE and when I try to reserve...... it says$299:eek:

Maybe it won't let you do it on points. I did it as credit card. I input 16 to 18 may as dates. I know when I tried it with some of the online booking sites other than hertz it wouldn't do it.

Go to seward.com and click on visit Seward. Under the driving part on the left are 4 guides you can download or print that give mile by mile info. One is on history, one is on nature; I forget the other two.

I found them very helpful.

There are LOTS of things to do in/near Seward; it's also a beautiful place to just "be."

I can spend hours in the aquarium (SeaLife Center) as well and always take people there.

If you're not heavy hikers, there's a paved train at the Exit Glacier site. You just follow it and then down to the face of the glacier; this "hike" isn't strenuous.

If you're from the mid-west and thrilled with all the forests, etc. you can stay a bit out of town and be surrounded by green.

Here we come, Seward, for some days before our cruise.........can't wait.:D

Archived