Boston/Newport

I am also taking this same cruise for the first time. I was reading a former cruiser's experience posted on this website that took the same cruise destination. She reported that the ship docks at 10am in Newport, but they did not get off of the ship until 12pm and they were no where near the last people to get off of the ship. She stated that they were tender #9...(I'm guessing that is the group number that was able to leave the ship at a certain time). I would rather save money and book the mansion tours separately from RCI, but I'm afraid that if I don't book a ship excursion that I won't get off the ship in time to really explore on my own. (Those that book ship excursions are able to get off earlier than others). I'm torn by this, but feel I should probably just go with the ship excursion so that I can get off the ship timely and get out to explore Newport.

Does anyone have any input or experience with cruising to Newport on RCI - Enchantment of the Seas? I haven't been able to find much more information on experiences with this ship at this dock.

We were in Newport on the Enchantment on 6/6/12 and they extended our port time by 2 hours, due to the long tendering process. From my research, this seems to be fairly standard. We got in line for tender tickets at about 8:15am and got Tender 6, which was the first non-ship excursion number they were passing out. They started passing out tickets before 9:15am, because there was such a long line. Out tender was called at about 10:35am and we were on land at 11:30am. The last return tender was at 7:30pm and there were about 15 of us on it and only 5 people on the 7pm tender.

Just a heads-up. When we were in line for the tender (and we were the last ones in line with a Tender 6 ticket), a couple cut in front of us, saying they had a Tender 4 ticket and should get to go ahead. Actually, it was the wife that cut and the husband kept telling her to get back, that they missed their number and had no right to cut in line. Well, as we surged down the steps, the wife got in front of us, so as they were counting to load the tender, they cut it off right after them and in front of us. :mad: After a final count, they said they could take one more, but since there weren't any singles traveling, they let both my DH and I on the tender. So, make sure you are as far to the front of the line for your Tender number as you can be, so late-comers don't take your spot! :eek:

I hope this helps. I know I would have liked to know all this ahead of time. Have lots of fun and I hope you enjoy Boston and Newport as much as we did.

Thank you SO MUCH for this great review of the whole Newport experience. It is very much appreciated!! :cool:

Archived