Arrival. Please talk me through.

swabs

We take our first ever cruise in June. We sail on the Mariner for 10 nights starting on the 16th.

As a total new comer I would be grateful if someone would talk me through the arrivals procedure.

We fly into Rome and land at 10:30 am (flights arranged by RSSC), our transfers are included.

Will we be met by a RSSC Rep at the airport? and if so am I correct in presuming they will then direct us to to our mode of transfer coach / mini bus??

What then happens when we get to the port? Do we have to check in like one does at the airport? and are we then able to board?

I have read several reviews re checked in luggage and hand luggage and the security clearance which make sense.

And I appreciate our cabin may not be ready for us until about 3pm but that we will be able to explore the ship and have lunch on board.

All info re our arrival day will be gratefully received.

I hope you have Regent's free pre-cruise night hotel. Your should be transferred to hotel. Next morning breakfast is included and then you should be transferred to port noonish where you will sign in, get photo and key card etc. Have lunch at LaVerandah and cabin should be ready mid- afternoon.

I would never plan to arrive at city day of embarkation - too many risks with airlines, weather, mechanical etc.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I hope you are arriving a day ahead too.

At any rate, there will be someone in the arrivals hall at the airport with a sign that says regent on it and a list of passengers. Depending how many arrive on your flight, you will transfer to the ship ( if same day) or hotel ( if day prior) by bus or minibus.

Once you arrive at the ship, they will check you in. Sometimes this is done on the ship itself, sometimes in the port offices. It is very well marked and lots of regent people around to help either way. They take your big bags at the pier,but you need to keep your hand luggage, camera, etc. they will run this through an X-ray machine like at the airport.

Don't get stressed. It is really easy.

The Regent people will meet you in Arrivals Hall directly after going thru immigration and customs formalities....take your luggage and go thru the door and look for Regent Signs.....there will be lots of folks holding signs with all manner of names - you are.just looking for the large stylized White sign with Regent written on it.

Have a great trip...

We flew into Rome airport a few years ago prior to boarding the Voyager at Civitavecchia. It was an overnight flight from the eastern U.S., so we arrived relatively early in the day. We were met at the airport by an agent and our luggage was collected. We were then taken to a nearby airport hotel, where Regent had arranged for a large meeting room with tables and chairs, coffee, donuts, etc., where they aggregated arriving passengers. Around noon, they started shuttling people to the port (which is in the opposite direction from the airport than Rome). I think it was about 30 or 40 minutes drive in a motor coach. We were then able to board the ship and check in without much delay. The cabins weren't officially ready yet, but we could have lunch and wander around until they were. We've since learned that you can usually find your cabin and drop off your hand luggage even before the cabins are fully made up, so you don't need to lug it around with you while exploring.

We are on the same cruise and are arriving two days early to see Rome.

Since jet lag will probably be a problem on Thursday, I'd like to get some extra sightseeing in on Saturday before heading to the ship.

Is arriving 4 PM - 5 PM too late?

4-5 pm is pretty late to arrive at the ship. I personally wouldn't want to arrive later than 3 as there is a lot of hustle and bustle, and you will need to do muster drill which is usually around 5.

As you are from the UK, you will have an early start on 16 June. After leaving the plane you will go through the normal procedures and when you get to baggage reclaim there will be Regent reps looking out for you. They are easy to spot. They will take your baggage either directly from the carousel or from you if you have picked it up. When all Regent guests have been located, the reps will take you to the coach or coaches, the baggage often taken seperately by van, you will not see it again until it arrives in your suite.

It is a pleasant ride to Civitavecchia, about an hour. Once there, you will be shown into a terminal building and probably checked in there. I say probably because sometimes you are taken on board for check in procedures. Check in is merely identifing you, taking you photo for your on board card, used for identification at visited ports and purchases in the boutique and so on. You then board and are free to go around and familiarise yourselves with the ship's layout. Most people go to the pool deck, have a drink or three, a bite of lunch and wait for the call that the suites are ready (around 2.30). You will be greeted at your suite by your stewardess and/or butler who will be anxious to make sure your questions are answered. Follow the call for muster drill, open your champagne, go to the block party and it will be dinner time followed swiftly by bedtime and your magnificent cruise will be underway.

I hope you enjoy it all.

OrpingtonT, we will be going on our cruise on voyager on the 20th of this month it's departs from Barcelona, I assume that the arrangements will be very similar, I note that you say we are met in baggage reclaim do you know if happens in Barcelona as I am recovering from a major shoulder operation and it would be extremely handy if someone could lift the cases of the carousel as this has been worrying me as at the moment I can't even lift a shopping bag with my left hand.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

Thank you so much to everyone for your replies and especially to OrpingtonT who noted we are coming from the UK, your info was just what I was looking for especially re the drink or 3 on the pool deck.

Only 35 days to go!!

Just another query... when are we likely to receive our final documentation, tickets etc?

Swabs, I received mine a week ago, so that was about 18 days before departure, ours where sent via our travel agent, if you booked direct with RSSC uk then expect them a few days earlier, it is an impressive set of documents.

Enjoy your cruise, the only trouble with them they are catching.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

OrpingtonT, we will be going on our cruise on voyager on the 20th of this month it's departs from Barcelona, I assume that the arrangements will be very similar, I note that you say we are met in baggage reclaim do you know if happens in Barcelona as I am recovering from a major shoulder operation and it would be extremely handy if someone could lift the cases of the carousel as this has been worrying me as at the moment I can't even lift a shopping bag with my left hand.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

My experience of Barcelona was not typical, I am afraid. As Barbara has mobility problems, the fact that our plane was directed not to a gate, but to a parking site where it necessitated bussing in caused us difficulties. We needed a "high-lift" to avoid the steps. By the time this came and we eventually were wheeled through, our bags were not only off the carousel but also being wheeled away to a holding area. Nevertheless Regent ground staff were still there looking out for us.

I hope your shoulder problems don't stop you having a wonderful time. I am sure there will be someone around who will help you hoist those bags off the belt. I am an old codger and usually someone also waiting yanks them off, if only to get me out of their way!

Good news that you have your documentation. Our Voyager cruise leaves on 3 June as yours finishes and so we shall start hounding the postman next week.

Thanks OrpingtonT, if someone's about I am sure they will help, unfortunately the shoulder will never be 100%, it's just something that I got to get used to, as will asking for help, biggest problem is looking healthy and asking for help to lift things, you do get some strange looks / remarks.

Really looking forward to our cruise, hope you have a great one.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

Thanks OrpingtonT, if someone's about I am sure they will help, unfortunately the shoulder will never be 100%, it's just something that I got to get used to, as will asking for help, biggest problem is looking healthy and asking for help to lift things, you do get some strange looks / remarks.

Really looking forward to our cruise, hope you have a great one.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

That's true. I dislocated my right arm/shoulder some time ago and still have problems packing my groceries in the supermarket. I ask the cashier to pack for me, and get some strange looks.

Best wishes.

Just a few quick question, is there a UK regent rep at Heathrow, and if there is where would they be waiting.

think flight leaves at 8:30 am so we are expecting to arrive at around 6 am, do we book in at B.A. and drop our luggage off.

Is it worth going to the business class lounge or wint we have time to enjoy it?

Any hints will be usefull, we have already registered our passport and can't book our seat until 24 hours prior to departure.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but we haven't flown for over 10 years.

Regards

Marion and Kerry.

Just a few quick question, is there a UK regent rep at Heathrow, and if there is where would they be waiting.

Highly doubt it and your second question indicates why. They can be at your arrival airport as many people will be arriving there for their Regent Cruise but, perhaps you will be the only Regent passenger on your flight so that would entail an army of agents to every airport people are coming from for all hours of many days.

think flight leaves at 8:30 am so we are expecting to arrive at around 6 am, do we book in at B.A. and drop our luggage off.

Depends on when airline you are flying on?? Assume you are ticketed on BA so that is where you should check in and check your luggage.

Is it worth going to the business class lounge or wint we have time to enjoy it?

Really depends on what time you get thru security and into the departures area where the lounge is. Sometimes you get thru quickly and somtimes it takes awhile so if you have enough time, go to the lounge and enjoy. Be sure to leave the lounge in sufficient time to reach the gate for your flight.

Any hints will be usefull, we have already registered our passport and can't book our seat until 24 hours prior to departure.

Regards

Marion and Kerry.

See above for responses in red. Not really stupid questions but, no one can give you a definitive answer as circumstances as well as your likes/dislikes make that impossible.

Just a bit of levity with the BA question as we really don't know what airline you are booked on.

Have a great cruise and sure you will be able to make the right decision once you get to the airport. Your arrival time should be sufficient to make your flight and allow some time in the lounge but, sometimes circumstances take up a lot of the available time.

Regent rep is only at the airport where everyone for the cruise is arriving. Not at connecting airports.

If you have time and the required access, highly advise spending time between the flights in the business class lounge. It is not as nearly crazy as the rest of the airports. The BA lounges at LHr are really nice. Comfortable seating and great food.

RalleyDave, thanks for your quick respounce, yes we are flying BA, and to be honest with you I am pleased that there no Regent rep there as that one less worry. I am not certain how long to allow to get through all the formalities at the airport as we haven't flown for 10 years, however I suppose the obvious answer is to ask at the check in desk, also I don't know if the lounges are prior or after the security checks.

Rachel, thanks for your input as well, and it would be nice to get a bit of breakfast if it's available, but I believe that will depend if the business loung is before or after the security etc.

Regards

Marion and Kerry.

RalleyDave, thanks for your quick respounce, yes we are flying BA, and to be honest with you I am pleased that there no Regent rep there as that one less worry. I am not certain how long to allow to get through all the formalities at the airport as we haven't flown for 10 years, however I suppose the obvious answer is to ask at the check in desk, also I don't know if the lounges are prior or after the security checks.

Rachel, thanks for your input as well, and it would be nice to get a bit of breakfast if it's available, but I believe that will depend if the business loung is before or after the security etc.

Regards

Marion and Kerry.

The lounges are almost always if not always after security, etc. and as Rachel stated, quite nice at BA at Heathrow. While you should get directions to the lounge at the check in desk, doubt they can give you a definitive answer to what lies after their station as it can change in an instant depending on when people get to the various positions.

Flying Business does give you an advantage at check-in and also for going thru security as there are separate Business Class lines for check-in and the same for security. At a busy time, generally using the business class lines saves you at least 50% of the time from using the regular lines so be sure to look for the lines that you qualify for.

Enjoy your cruise, you will be back to Regent!!

Regards

Marion and Kerry.

No Regent reps at Heathrow, you are expected to be able to check in and board without further help.

I enjoy going to the business lounge and make time to do so. Good bacon rolls, plenty of coffe and alcohol, if you want it.

Check in online 24 hours prior to the flight and print off your boarding passes.

Other than that it is a doddle. Just enjoy it.

SWABS

We are also on this cruise, and I think on same flight from Heathrow - 07.05 BA 0552, arriving Rome at 1035. We do get a bit of priority checking in at Heathrow. Have a look at BA.Com and put in flight details, and it will also tell you about the Lounges you can use, and any freebies, and luggage allowance,etc. Presume we will be picked up at Rome and travel by mini-bus or taxi - I don't think we are the only Regent cruisers on this flight! Presumably we will have to check in on line at BA.CoM from 24 hours before departure so having a look at their webpages in advance might an idea. Have cruised before and usually it is very easy and not at all stressful at check in, luggage is whisked away and will next appear in your Suite, just follow everyone else, and take the others advice and have lunch at La Verandah and a few drinks. And we are away. See you at Terminal 5. No doubt we will all have Regent Hand Luggage Labels!

Definitely go through priority check in/bag drop (Area G at Heathrow Terminal 5, as far from the crowd as you can go) and then take Fast Track through security too. My recommendation would be to head straight up the escalator to the Business Class lounge and enjoy the peace and quiet and possibly a spot of breakfast. The BA lounges at Terminal 5 are large and airy, very comfortable and well appointed. When you check in/drop bags at the business class desk, they'll give you clear directions of where to go - it's quite a series of escalators to get up there to the lofty heights!!

Have a wonderful time on your cruise...I'm very envious because I've got to wait until February for our next one ;-)

Hi Bridgeexel, we will see you in Rome! We fly on friday night from Manchester to Gatwick stay over night and then the 07:00 from Gatwick to Rome.

This web site is great and have picked up lots of useful tips, I must say I am really looking forward to the trip ...... have wanted to try a cruise for some time but my other half took some persuading!

Archived