drink coupons vs fun dollars

mbclaw13

I am curious what the thought is on buying as a credit, why wouldnt you buy the fun dollars as the set amount versus the drink coupons where you may still have the tax and difference on.

I keep seeing foks reccomend buying the drink coupons.

I like the funship dollars better myself because they can be used for anything. One of the guys I work with had given us some as a gift on our last cruise and they were nice, would definately use them again, but had to make sure you had them with you and we always had to add to them, so while I certainly wouldn't turn them away as we did use them, the credit would certainly be more convenient...

Personally, I prefer to use the Funship Dollars simply because they are easier to deal with than the drink coupons. I have used the drink coupons one time and that was enough for me..too much hassle. With the FunShip Dollars, you just apply them to your S&S account and buy whatever you want...no, adding to the coupon to cover the cost of your drink...no evil looks from the server for having to deal with the coupon (OK..so, they don't really give evil looks..but, I can imagine they are thinking evil thoughts).

Perhaps in the old days a drink coupon = a drink (no additional amount needed), but the value of a drink coupon is now 5.75 which might pay for a beer, but certainly not a hard liquor drink, so you end up having to charge a few additional dollars on your S&S card. Funship dollars are dollar to dollar. Apply to them to your S&S account and just charge your drinks, end of story. :)

I like the funship dollars better myself because they can be used for anything. One of the guys I work with had given us some as a gift on our last cruise and they were nice, would definately use them again, but had to make sure you had them with you and we always had to add to them, so while I certainly wouldn't turn them away as we did use them, the credit would certainly be more convenient...

you have to have them on you??? they arent attached to your S&S account????? that doesnt seem to convienent.. what happens when you dont spend 25$ at once???

you have to have them on you??? they arent attached to your S&S account????? that doesnt seem to convienent.. what happens when you dont spend 25$ at once???

I think he meant the drink coupons:confused:

the drink tickets are just a method of pre-paying your sail and sign for your drinks. Either work out. There's no savings either way.

You actually do save a little when using the drink coupons. the price of the coupon is 5.75 and sold in a set of 4 to make a total of 23.00 for the drink coupons.

If you use one coupon on a drink say a classic cocktail that is 8.75 the 5.75 is automatically taken off and you are charged 3.00 therefore your only paying the 15% grats on the 3.00 instead of the entire 8.75. The coupon includes gratuity so your side of the tip amount becomes reduced which can save anywhere from .30 cent to over a dollar per drink. I have never used the drink coupons but plan to do do on this next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me its psychological. I buy the drink tickets in advance. I don't think about what I paid for them. And even though my drinks are more expensive, its a dollar or two. But with the funship dollars, its right in front of me and I see what I am spending, so I feel more guilty spending $7.25 (plus tip) for a drink. Yeah I know i am wierd.

We'll be getting some drink coupons from our TA and was wondering if there's any drink / beer that would be the exact same amount as the coupon? In other words, what could I use them for that I wouldn't have to add to.

So, I have bought drink tickets, but not fun dollars. I know you can buy them online at Carnival- what do you do with them next. I see some sort of form online, too. Do you ave to fill out the form and send it in before your cruise? Or do they automatically show up on S&S as OBC?

So, I have bought drink tickets, but not fun dollars. I know you can buy them online at Carnival- what do you do with them next. I see some sort of form online, too. Do you ave to fill out the form and send it in before your cruise? Or do they automatically show up on S&S as OBC?

The drink coupons are delivered to you on the first night at dinner in the Main Dining Room. If you don't plan on going to the MDR that night, you can go down earlier and see if you can get them.

I like the drink coupons and have used them an plan on using them next week on my cruise. You do save the 15% on the $5.75, which happens to be the costs of a 16 oz Bud Light :D so 1 coupon, 1 beer. I have used them also for an occassional Miami Vice and as a previous poster stated, its looks much better on the S&S card to have just a few dollars for a drink vs over $8. I don't find them hard to use. I keep them with my S&S card inside my camera case, purse, pocket, and take them out when I show them my S&S card.

One of my friends I'm sailing with next week bought 15 books :eek: and he just drinks beer. We calculated that if he uses them all, he will save about $50. To me, thats a great savings. With funship dollars, you won't get that savings.

The drink coupons are delivered to you on the first night at dinner in the Main Dining Room. If you don't plan on going to the MDR that night, you can go down earlier and see if you can get them. They are made of paper not applied to your S&S.

I like the drink coupons and have used them previously and plan on using them next week on my cruise. You do save the 15% on the $5.75, which happens to be the costs of a 16 oz Bud Light :D so 1 coupon, 1 beer (4 coupons, 1 bucket). I have used them also for an occassional Miami Vice and as a previous poster stated, its looks much better on the S&S card to have just a few dollars for a drink vs over $8. I don't find them hard to use. I keep them with my S&S card inside my camera case, purse, pocket, and take them out when I show them my S&S card.

One of my friends I'm sailing with next week bought 15 sets :eek: and he just drinks beer. We calculated that if he uses them all, he will save about $50. To me, thats a great savings. With funship dollars, you won't get that savings.

When you fill out the form for your Funship Dollars, instead of your home address use--your name, OBC, ship name, sail date, cabin number and booking number. Use your correct E-mail and phone number. If you fill it in that way you will automatically have it on you S&S card when you check in. It will also show up as OBC on your documents.

Happy Sailing!!

I would recommend the funship dollars instead. On my recent Legend cruise I used drink coupons and I found that only 2 bars would take them no questions asked- otherwise the servers would "argue" with me about using them- trying to get me to use my s&s card instead.

For my next cruise I will definitely only prepay using the funship dollars. :)

The drink coupons are delivered to you on the first night at dinner in the Main Dining Room. If you don't plan on going to the MDR that night, you can go down earlier and see if you can get them. They are made of paper not applied to your S&S.

I like the drink coupons and have used them previously and plan on using them next week on my cruise. You do save the 15% on the $5.75, which happens to be the costs of a 16 oz Bud Light :D so 1 coupon, 1 beer (4 coupons, 1 bucket). I have used them also for an occassional Miami Vice and as a previous poster stated, its looks much better on the S&S card to have just a few dollars for a drink vs over $8. I don't find them hard to use. I keep them with my S&S card inside my camera case, purse, pocket, and take them out when I show them my S&S card.

One of my friends I'm sailing with next week bought 15 sets :eek: and he just drinks beer. We calculated that if he uses them all, he will save about $50. To me, thats a great savings. With funship dollars, you won't get that savings.

Exactly! We use the drink coupons and on 4 drinks at $5.75 each (beer)we save $3.45. It definitely adds up.

I would recommend the funship dollars instead. On my recent Legend cruise I used drink coupons and I found that only 2 bars would take them no questions asked- otherwise the servers would "argue" with me about using them- trying to get me to use my s&s card instead.

Have used the drink coupons my last 6 cruises and never once had a problem with the servers not wanting to use them. Have used them all over the ship at different bars with no problem whatsoever.

I prefer the drink coupons and love using them.

When you fill out the form for your Funship Dollars, instead of your home address use--your name, OBC, ship name, sail date, cabin number and booking number. Use your correct E-mail and phone number. If you fill it in that way you will automatically have it on you S&S card when you check in. It will also show up as OBC on your documents.

Happy Sailing!!

Thanks- just the information I needed!

I wouldn't accept this. I would insist on using them at whatever bar you attempted to. Carnival sells these on their website via Bon Voyage and should be accepted anywhere on the ship unless the coupon states otherwise. I have bought several sheets of drink coupons for my next cruise and I plan on using them wherever I order a drink from. If a server says no or won't take them I will go to their supervisor and also I will ask to remove the "auto" 15% added which you can do and some don't know. Because if I was refused by a server for trying to use something purchased directly thru carnival I wouldn't call that excellent service and see no need for that server to collect any tip from me. Just mho..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived