Food Allergies and Carnival

GAGirlinVA

Hi! I'm new here (but I've been reading for awhile.)

DH and I are considering a cruise next year for my birthday (our first ever!) and then a family cruise in 2014 for our 10 year anniversary.

But our oldest son has severe food allergies and seeing WDW's change in allergy policies has left us wondering what it would be like on Carnival.

Anyone dealt with food allergies on board? Is there a language barrier when trying to explain what you need to avoid?

I'm SUPER overwhelmed trying to figure out which ships/itineraries would be best for our two trips as well.

Everyone keeps telling me to choose a ship not an itinerary and other people say to choose by the ports. LOL....

Thoughts?

DH and I are considering a cruise next year for my birthday (our first ever!) and then a family cruise in 2014 for our 10 year anniversary.

But our oldest son has severe food allergies and seeing WDW's change in allergy policies has left us wondering what it would be like on Carnival.

Anyone dealt with food allergies on board? Is there a language barrier when trying to explain what you need to avoid?

I'm SUPER overwhelmed trying to figure out which ships/itineraries would be best for our two trips as well.

Everyone keeps telling me to choose a ship not an itinerary and other people say to choose by the ports. LOL....

Thoughts?

Depends on just how severe the allergy is or what the specific type of food. I am seriously allergic to bivalves but have never had a problem avoiding them on the cruise ship. I did the Chef's Table and one of their first questions concerned food allergies... our menu that night had nary a bivalve on it!

contact the Special Needs office & let them know. I have a shell-fish allergy & discovered that they serve the Shrimp & Lobster on the same plate on Elegant night.

On my next cruise, I contacted Special Needs & told them I could eat the Lobster but not the shrimp. They put in a special request through the MDR & confirmed it with my waiter (I had ATD), & sure enough, I was served 2 lobsters & no shrimp.

Give them your booking # etc & explain what you need and why. They will go over the next day's menu with you during dinner & explain how each is prepared, so you can plan ahead (or even order ahead).

Thoughts?

Special needs\ http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/SRIFRM_012809.pdf

Depends on just how severe the allergy is or what the specific type of food. I am seriously allergic to bivalves but have never had a problem avoiding them on the cruise ship. I did the Chef's Table and one of their first questions concerned food allergies... our menu that night had nary a bivalve on it!

Dairy, soy, egg, corn, peanuts, almonds, blueberries and carrots.

Only upon ingestion, no issue with others having them...

He will be 5 when we travel.

My ds has allergies. He hasnt cruised yet. I called special needs. They were helpful. What changes at wdw? My son was treated like a king at wdw. Hope they didnt change the food policy too much.

People have been very successful when they contact Special needs and have traditional dining in the main dining room. When you get on board you meet the matri'd. The marti'd will make sure the wait staff for your table knows about the food allergy. Everyday, they will bring the next day's menu and you and your son can decide what's best.

The buffet is not equipped to make a special meals for those with allergies.

My ds has allergies. He hasnt cruised yet. I called special needs. They were helpful. What changes at wdw? My son was treated like a king at wdw. Hope they didnt change the food policy too much.

So was my son.. We did 21 nights at WDW last year.

However, now you can't go through special diets. You have to speak to a chef when you get there. (Which I think is insane considering you have to make reservations so far in advance.)

We were told that no ingredient lists are being given out anymore. Quick Service? No accommodations.

My very patient husband has been slowly climbing the chain at WDW. According to the last supervisor he spoke to *no one* at Disney truly knows what is in food anymore. But we are supposed to discuss with a chef the day of and trust that? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

People have been very successful when they contact Special needs and have traditional dining in the main dining room. When you get on board you meet the matri'd. The marti'd will make sure the wait staff for your table knows about the food allergy. Everyday, they will bring the next day's menu and you and your son can decide what's best.

The buffet is not equipped to make a special meals for those with allergies.

Okay... I'm about to show off my lack of knowledge. LOL

The main diningroom is open for all three meals? I guess I assumed that they were only open at night? *blush*

Okay... I'm about to show off my lack of knowledge. LOL

The main diningroom is open for all three meals? I guess I assumed that they were only open at night? *blush*

They are open for breakfast, on sea days for lunch and every night for dinner. No question is silly. :) You know what your son can and can not eat so for the meals you can not eat in the main dining room, you will have to choose carefully in one of the other venues. There are many around the ship that you can check out and ask the matri'd for options. They really do want to make sure your family is taken care of.

When you pre-register or register for camp carnival on the ship they have a form that you fill out listing any dietary restrictions or allergies you want to notify them about for your kids. They have always been careful to check those before the kids eat anything in camp carnival from what I've seen.

My daughter is allergic to shellfish, but she also does not drink carbonated drinks, so they know to watch both for her.

I just got off a cruise on the dream saturday.. I also have food allergies, contact special services before you board. The matri'd and hostess will bring you over the menu and you can pre order what you want for the next day for breakfast, lunch when they are open and dinner.. this was my 7th cruise and I never had a problem

DW has many unusual food allergies including green vegetables that trigger migraines.

She is ok with breakfast and can pick out what she can have on lido.

For dinner the first night she will order plain food like a chickenbreast or salmon and tell the head waiter who will send over the social hostess for the DR.

They will go over what she can have and than she will get the next nights menu and will pick out what she will order and her dinner is made special.

Usually works very well but be very careful to check over the food when it comes to the table as they have made errors.

We do tip the social hostess at the end of the cruise btw.

In the future we will make up a card with her food allergies so we can give it to them and make everyones life easier.

See a plain chicken breast, plain rice and any veggie other than carrots will work! Not the most adventurous eating, but he really prefers to stick with things that he can tell is safe.

You have all made my day.

Can I pack coconut milk for him? (Shelf stable?)

I have a pretty severe almond allergy, and it's worked out well for me! Just make sure you talk to the maitre d' on boarding day (they are usually in MDR around 1:30 or so...) and you shouldn't have any issues. We had someone verify menu items with us each night...I knew exactly what I could and could not eat. :)

See a plain chicken breast, plain rice and any veggie other than carrots will work! Not the most adventurous eating, but he really prefers to stick with things that he can tell is safe.

You have all made my day.

Can I pack coconut milk for him? (Shelf stable?)

Yes you can. Just make sure its in your carry-on bag. That way your bags will not get held up since they do check for liquids.

We travel with a group of people that have assorted allergies- shellfish, eggwhites, chocolate, peanuts and treenuts. Last cruise we just found out that one of the guys has issues with dairy.

The first day let the MD know about the allergies. Ususally the MD is available around 1:30.

The first day can be difficult. At night a hostess will bring you the menus for the next day. If you cannot decide between to dishes choose them both. Ask what to do for port days for lunch as the dining room is closed.

We usually avoid the Mongolian Wok station.

If your child is going to be in Camp there is a form to fill out.

One last question. Can we do Anytime Dining (or whatever Carnival calls it) or should we pick a set time dining when our son goes with us?

I'm SO excited that we may find what we need for another family vacation. :)

As you can imagine, it has taken our family quite a bit to adjust to his allergies...

One last question. Can we do Anytime Dining (or whatever Carnival calls it) or should we pick a set time dining when our son goes with us?

I'm SO excited that we may find what we need for another family vacation. :)

As you can imagine, it has taken our family quite a bit to adjust to his allergies...

I would pick set time dining so you will always have the same waitstaff so they can check in the kitchen that things are made correctly.

I would pick set time dining so you will always have the same waitstaff so they can check in the kitchen that things are made correctly.

Thanks. That is what my gut was telling me. :)

Now to find a cruise for just my husband and I first. :)

Archived