Traveling with injections..anyone?

veryhotred

I was diagnosed with a medical condition a few months ago that requires me to give myself an injection everyday, therefore I have to take enough pre filled syringes (which have needles on them) with me on my cruise...anyone ever done this? I will take a copy of the prescription just in case but i have to inject everyday so I'm hoping it goes smoothly as far as getting onboard

You should be OK with the syringes and the prescription.

You should ask for a "sharps" container for your cabin to dispose of the needles safely. The ships doctor's office can supply them.

My brother has Type 1 Diabetes and has to give himself insulin shots multiple times a day. He had no trouble taking his meds and needles along and no one ever asked him anything about them.

I'm also a T1 and I've never had a problem. Sometimes I'll tell someone before my carryon gets scanned (I keep all my needles and insulin in there), but usually I just say nothing, and I've never been asked about it. Carrying around a prescription is a good idea, not just for getting through security, but also in case something happens to your medication and you need to pick up some more in port (or from the infirmary on the ship-but be warned, I hear they don't really carry much there).

I'll ditto everyone - I have type 1 diabetes as well and the only thing I did was mention it on the airline. Never a word getting on the ship. I did request a sharps container (ahead of time) which was in my stateroom on arrival (and if it's not, your room steward can easily get you one). When your cruise is through, just put the cap on it and the room steward will dispose of it.

It's easy as sugar free pie ;)

Carrying around a prescription is a good idea

My DW also carries a letter from her doctor that she can show authorities in case there's any question about what's in there and why she has it. I also carry a photocopy of the letter in my carryon just in case we can't get access to hers, and we also get similar letters for all our prescriptions. Probably overkill, but one never knows when one might have to leave the ship early and travel through who-knows-where and their inspections to get back to the US.

I was diagnosed with a medical condition a few months ago that requires me to give myself an injection everyday, therefore I have to take enough pre filled syringes (which have needles on them) with me on my cruise...anyone ever done this? I will take a copy of the prescription just in case but i have to inject everyday so I'm hoping it goes smoothly as far as getting onboard

You can request a "sharps" container from your room steward, or get one from the reception desk. No problems at all. They actually put a small sign in the bathroom requesting that you ask for one if needed.

Thank you ALL for the information...I will ask for a sharps container, I was wondering about that..I dont wanna bring home the used syringes. My syringes say what med is inside but I am still taking prescription. If my meds got lost I cannot replace them as they come from a speciality pharmacy due to the type of med..I will carry it all on ;)

I suffer from migraines and have to carry imitrex injections with me. It's the same as you, pre filled syringes. I took some on the ship in April (the Epic) and had no problem whatsoever. As always, when you have to deal with CBP it's best to have the original prescription packaging. I carry my medications and electronics in carry on which I don't check in curbside at the ship (we live in FL and drive to the port). So that stuff comes on board with us and stays with me until I get to the room. If security deems it necessary to look, they can look when I go through security, it's safer than losing my meds for any length of time when I might need them.

I suffer from migraines and have to carry imitrex injections with me. It's the same as you, pre filled syringes. I took some on the ship in April (the Epic) and had no problem whatsoever. As always, when you have to deal with CBP it's best to have the original prescription packaging. I carry my medications and electronics in carry on which I don't check in curbside at the ship (we live in FL and drive to the port). So that stuff comes on board with us and stays with me until I get to the room. If security deems it necessary to look, they can look when I go through security, it's safer than losing my meds for any length of time when I might need them.

Thanks Griffin! I will have mine with me at all times and if they want to look I totally understand...my meds are too expensive to take a chance at them losing them or them being broke :rolleyes:

Hello, I had no problem with my needles or prescriptions. Just ask your cabin steward for a Sharpes container to dispose of your used needles. You should bring a letter with your Doctor's information showing your prescriptions and any other medications/vitamins you are taking.

LaRee

Airports are a bit touchy, but no problems.

Ship security probably will not even notice them.

P.S. Do not assume you will return home exactly as scheduled. Take extra in case of some sort of delay.

Archived