Kindle, Nook, other, neither?

I'm thinking about getting one of those tablets a lot of people have on which you can read books and newpapers and play games. Some people like the Kindle and others the Nook, and my stepmother has something similar but isn't either. Is it reasonable to believe I can buy one of these devises for about 200.00 that I can use for reading and playing Scrabble? What else can you do with it?

I love my ebook reader. I have a Kobo (Chapters/Indigo) and I did bring it with me on my last cruise. Thankfully, it is small and doesn't take up much space because I never even so much as turned it on, not even on the flight to Texas or at the airport to go home.

Ebook readers are wonderful and well worth the purchase, but the real book has it's advantages too...

Do yourself a favor, if you don't already have one, get an Android smartphone. You can read books in one hand, play games, watch shows, take pictures and video, use GPS for driving directions, surf cruise critic and make phone calls. You can even play music on Pandora while you are reading. Just make sure to put it airplane mode on the ship to avoid astronomical cell bills. Seriously, I used to have a kindle and GPS unit in my car and got rid of both when I got a smartphone.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I have a Kindle fire, and love it. Every one has favorites as far as E-Readers, which is great, as their is a choice out there to buy.

I can't read in direct sunlight, but I never sit out in the sun anyway.

I can get on the Internet on mine, a keyboard comes up to type with. The letters are a little small, but I bought a Stylus which works great.

If you get a Kindle, here is a free site that is habit forming for getting free e-books from Amazon.

http://www.ereaderiq.com/

Melanie

Most important thing to think about when deciding which one to get is whether you will be reading in direct sunlight. I love to lay by the pool (or in the pool when at home) and read. The color eReaders that are backlit (like a cell phone) are hard to read in the sun. The black and white ones with eInk are easier to read in the sun than an actual paper book. You can get online with any brand that uses 3G or Wi-Fi but that feature won't do you much good on a cruise ship.

Personally, I have a first generation Nook....LOVE IT!! However, now they have come out with a newer version of the Nook Touch which does light up so you can read it in the dark. I'll be upgrading soon. I have no desire to get a color eReader b/c I read outside in the sun.

A smartphone, for me is miserable to read on.

If you are ev er going to use it in the sun, get an e-ink reader. Plus you don't have to charge it daily.

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

I have an iPad... I LOVE IT! I can read books for Kindle, B&N Nook, any ePub source... I can even get books free from the local library. I can access the internet, my email and play games... it costs about $500 but it's well worth it for me... I rarely travel with my laptop any more... it's hard to read in sunlight, but then any of the eReaders that can access the internet are the same. I also like the size of the screen for reading.

I'm thinking about getting one of those tablets a lot of people have on which you can read books and newpapers and play games. Some people like the Kindle and others the Nook, and my stepmother has something similar but isn't either. Is it reasonable to believe I can buy one of these devises for about 200.00 that I can use for reading and playing Scrabble? What else can you do with it?

Since you want it for reading as well as playing games, I would suggest you go with a Color/Tablet Nook or a Kindle Fire.

I have a color nook and love it, I use it mostly for downloading library books. I have gone on the internet with it and its got some great games. Since the nook tablet came out the color nook as dropped in price and can be gotten for about $150. I went with the color Nook (picked it up about a yr ago before the tablet came out) because I like the idea that I can get support by going into any Barnes and Nobles store. In fact one of the employees who gives classes on the Nook offered to explain how to use it and show me many of its features.

I highly suggest you go into a B&N store and check it out and ask any question you may have.

I just bought DH a Kindle touch for our anniversary. He is a HUGE reader. I thought he could bring a 1000 books on vacation rather than 3-4 (hardcovers). Like the others have said the fire is hard to read in the sun. Check out Staples or Target. They are giving gift cards with purchase.

I love my Kindle Fire. I got it for Christmas and took it on a cruise in January. I couldn't read it in the sun, so I took a paperback just for that purpose. Love to read it in the dark and let it turn itself off when I fall asleep instead of having to turn the light off. That happens so often on a cruise.:o

Another note about library books. If you are at sea with the wi-fi turned off, they won't disappear when they're due. Only when you get back on land and hook up to the internet. Found this interesting.

It's also got great free games.

I have an android and it is great. I've got about 3 books downloaded and keep going back and forth with what I want to read. It is the bigger screen and just figured out it will read to me outloud

and hilight in yellow as it reads. I'm new at this amd very impressed.

Hello. I have a Nook Color and i love mine. I use mine primarily for magazines and I have one book on mine right now.

I am actually posting this from my Nook color :) and i paid $160.00 about 3 months ago for mine

I missed the part about playing games.

I loathe Apple and refuse to use their products. This is the same size, but much cheaper, and as a bonus is Android.

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-10-1-Inch-Internet-Capacitive-Touchscreen/dp/B004QPAJOW

Ive had mine since October. I manly use it for netflix, though.

Neither. I like a good old fashioned BOOK. I like the weight of it in my hands, the smell of it under my nose, and the feel of the pages as they turn beneath my fingers.

IDK about playing games... I can do that on my phone. My main priority for my E-reader was being able to read it in the sun. It's simple, but for reading books easily I LOVE my regular old Nook. The bottom is color touchscreen and the top is E-Ink. You will not be able to play games on it, but it serves it's purpose as a reader incredibly well.... If you want to play games get a tablet.... There are TONS of tablet options.

ETA- I've read my downloaded Nook books on my husbands Ipad and Fujitsu tablets, and on my Motorola Photon phone apps...

I love my Kindle. I had one of the first ones out until this afternoon. It finally gave out so I will be going to the store right after church to purchase another. I will not be getting a Fire as I read in the sun frequently--we own a boat and are in it 5 out of 7 days--and I have heard it is not as readable as others in the sun. Do some research on line before buying so you can make an informed choice. we all have our favs, but our choice may not be the best for you.

I have a kindle that is great for reading....lov it and I have akindle fire for games and other fun....and all the apps from the kindle fire transfer to my droid phone without paying for them again which is so nice compared to the apple aps.....have fun

Depending on what you want it to do, you can get one for about $100, not $200. Just be careful if you plan on reading in the sun. Some of them are unreadable in direct sunlight, the best for that are the cheaper ones.

It really depends. I have a nook color that I never use because the screen is hard for me to read on (it is like reading on a cell phone screen only larger) and gives me headaches). My brother has wireless in his apartment next year so I think he is going to adopt it to use for netflix and the like. I ended up getting an ipad in the fall to use for schoolwork, work and entertainment and I absolutely love it. I can read on it for hours and not have a problem, but it does have the glare problem. I substitute teach so I don't take my Ipad to work but I used it as an e-reader so I ended up with a nook (the $79 one with advertisements) that I can just throw in my bag and go with and not worry as much about. I also had a whole bunch of amazon credit from selling back old textbooks from undergrad so I figured why not. It is now one of the things I won't leave the house without (right after my cellphone). I have about 200 books on it and I read a few books a week. But, I still use my ipad for games. It really depends on the person and what you want!

Kindle Reader on my iPhone, my iPad, and my MacBook Pro! Didn't want to purchase either a Nook or a Kindle as we did not want to be tied to one or the other. We purchase Amazon books primarily, and purchase Nook books if we cannot find whatever we want to read on our Amazon accounts.

We have a Nook Color which my husband uses daily/nightly to read. Love the backlight - bc he mostly reads in bed and then he doesn't have to have the lamp on. It's similar to the Kindle Fire.

Costco and other stores have the Android tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (which is the same size at the Kindle) and you can do Netflix, download books, gmail, games, etc. It's $249.

I'm buying the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (size 10.1") when it comes out for first time tomorrow - but it's $399. I just want something a bit bigger than the 7" size.

Archived