Rum Point-Don't Miss it!

boatbunny

No pickup for Avis???

I reserved a Jeep but that's because someone told me there was a pickup downtown, near the Hard Rock.

Can anyone verify this???

UMM, born2crooz, why don't you call me for the answer to this one, or better yet, stop by the pastry shop to see me!!! Hey Martin! Don't worry folks, this poster is a good friend!

If you book through Avis, they will pick you up at the Blue Iguana gift shop which is right up the street to the right from the pier. They'll send a van to pick you up and take you to their rental center near the airport. It's less than a 10 min drive. Make your reservations in advance and they will have all the paperwork ready for you to sign and you'll be on your way quickly. I KNOW how much you hate wasting time!!

Really, please come see me soon! When are you cruising????

Say hi to Kate for me.

Miss ya,

Michelle

We were at Rum Point on February 2, 2006. It was fabulous. We rented a Honda Civic from Avis. The weather was great. The water was a little cooler than Costa Maya, but I swam and loved it. Lunch was delicious. I had the blackened Mahi Mahi sandwich with Caesar salad ($8.50). As the above poster said, there were 8 ships in port and the beach was not crowded. When we arrived, 9:30 AM, there were only 6 people there. Later, most chairs were taken, but it didn’t seem crowded. You do have to watch where you go into and out of the water as there are places where there are rocks that makes walking difficult. I wish we had had more time. Maybe, we, too, will rent a condo for a week and ENJOY. Marlyne

thank-you for all the info on rum port ,

we planned it all , rented the car and were all set , now we found out we are not going to cayman the grand princess is changing direction, we will be going to playa del carman instead , :(

we will make the most of it , but this WAS something that i was REALLY looking forward to,

ANNE :)

• 2 weeks later...

Because of this awesome thread we have decided to visit Rum Point... have already visited Stingray City twice and 7 Mile beach so ready to try something else. We have already reserved a vehicle through Avis.

Question ~ how long a drive is it from the Avis rental to Rum Point?

On the website I reserved for 9am... I am assuming it is 9am Cayman time...correct? We are on a Royal Caribbean ship Freedom and it will be Daylight Saving time....I understand grand Cayman does not observe DST ... I am assuming we will remain on ship time... so the 9am reserve time is really 10 am??

Should be interesting since I am on the inaugural of the Freedom and this will be the first stop at Grand Cayman... wonder if they plan any cereomonies and if it will hinder getting on our way for our drive.

Emmy

I am told by Nativeway, that Carnival and Royal Caribbean both stay on ship time (the time where your cruise originated) the whole cruise. The other lines vary. So if you are on Eastern Daylight time, you will be one hour ahead of local Grand Cayman time.

I am told by Nativeway, that Carnival and Royal Caribbean both stay on ship time (the time where your cruise originated) the whole cruise. The other lines vary. So if you are on Eastern Daylight time, you will be one hour ahead of local Grand Cayman time.

larie ~ thanks that is what I thought about the time difference... just needed some reassurance :)

Emmy

The time really can vary from ship to ship within a line. Last year in March we sailed Royal Caribbean's Splendor of the Seas, and they were adjusting times to match the ports. Check with someone who has RECENTLY been on whatever ship you are sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to appear stupid but, I am trying to rent a car, and I can't figure out what time to tell them I would like to pick it up. If we are to be in Grand Cayman from 7 AM until 4 PM, does that mean it will actually be 8 AM in Grand Cayman when we arrive? We will be arriving on April 4th during daylight saving time. So this is quite confusing for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Do you think we could rent a car, drive to rum point & find a place for husband & son to dive? I thought there was a dive co. over that way. My daughter & I want to snorkel, relax on beach & they want to dive for part of the day.

Do you think we could rent a car, drive to rum point & find a place for husband & son to dive? I thought there was a dive co. over that way. My daughter & I want to snorkel, relax on beach & they want to dive for part of the day.

The waters offshore from Rum Point are too shallow to do a scuba dive from shore. There is good snorkelling.

Red Sail Sports does have the watersports concession at Rum Point. Currently scuba dives are not run from this location.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello fellow Rum Point visitors!

I hadn't checked in here for a while, I am amazed to see this thread is still going, it has been almost a year! Unfortunately we are not taking a vacation this year (opened the bakery and there is simply no time!) and it is very hard to not be planning something! But I come onto the boards and read where everyone else is going and live it through all of you!

Thanks for keeping this thread going and glad to see how many people are visiting this beautiful area of GC!

Michelle

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if the water taxi from the Hyatt Hotel still runs to Rum Point? And if so, any details like how much it costs, if you have to be a guest at the Hyatt to use it, how long it takes, etc? Thanks!

Christine

Does anyone know if the water taxi from the Hyatt Hotel still runs to Rum Point? And if so, any details like how much it costs, if you have to be a guest at the Hyatt to use it, how long it takes, etc? Thanks!

Christine

As is occasionally discussed on this board, there is not currently regular ferry service to Rum Point. The ferry has operated on a chartered basis to serve those cruise lines which offer shore excursions which include Rum Point.

At this time, there is no way to foretell if or when regular ferry service may resume.

Ok, i just tried to reserve a Jeep threw avis for January 24th 2007, its saying sold out??? (all vehicles) is it because the date is so far away? and which location do you choose? It says seven mile beach or Georgetown? Airport? HELP ME PLEASE? :(

This sounds like a great idea to us...but does anyone know about requirements for small kids in cars in Cayman? We will have a 2yr. old with us, but don't want to drag a car seat around with us. Do we need one? Do they rent them?

Also, has anyone rented a car to go to the butterfly and or turtle sanctuaries?

Thanks!

Jeannene

Hello fellow Rum Point visitors!

I hadn't checked in here for a while, I am amazed to see this thread is still going, it has been almost a year! Unfortunately we are not taking a vacation this year (opened the bakery and there is simply no time!) and it is very hard to not be planning something! But I come onto the boards and read where everyone else is going and live it through all of you!

Thanks for keeping this thread going and glad to see how many people are visiting this beautiful area of GC!

Michelle

Michelle ~ we did our Rum Point visit on the maiden voyage sailing on Freedom..thank you for this thread .. it is because of it that we made a trip there.. I have linked this thread in my Freedom review cause the info contained here is so good. I printed off all the directions and other pertinent info from this thread and had it in the jeep with us... only problem was mother nature did not cooperate and we had torrential downpours but we did manage some fun time there and a great lunch.

I just booked again a vehicle to rent as we are returning on Freedom on Oct 15 and hopefully mother nature will be kinder to us..and oh yes we will get a PT cruiser convertable instead of the soft top jeep... we got caught with the roof down and DH had to get out in the pouring rain to put the roof back up. It was part of the adventure...our friends had the automatic roof on the PT cruiser.

Again thanks for starting the thread and to all who contribute to it.

Ok, i just tried to reserve a Jeep threw avis for January 24th 2007, its saying sold out??? (all vehicles) is it because the date is so far away? and which location do you choose? It says seven mile beach or Georgetown? Airport? HELP ME PLEASE? :(

I can't imagine they are sold out this far out. Most of the car rental places have locations on 7MB and the airport. From the port area, the airport is about a 3 minute drive.

You might try Andy's. That's who we rented our car from when we were down there last January. We picked our car up from the airport, but we saw another location on 7MB-across from the Comfort Suites and Marriott & next to our favorite restaurant...Coconut Joe's.

If you go to the Cayman Activity Guide dot com (I think you have to register), you can print off a coupon for Andy's. I would think that Andy's would pick up and drop off at the port (since you are coming in on a cruise ship).

http://www.andys.ky/

I can't imagine they are sold out this far out. Most of the car rental places have locations on 7MB and the airport. From the port area, the airport is about a 3 minute drive.

You might try Andy's. That's who we rented our car from when we were down there last January. We picked our car up from the airport, but we saw another location on 7MB-across from the Comfort Suites and Marriott & next to our favorite restaurant...Coconut Joe's.

If you go to the Cayman Activity Guide dot com (I think you have to register), you can print off a coupon for Andy's. I would think that Andy's would pick up and drop off at the port (since you are coming in on a cruise ship).

http://www.andys.ky/

I just tried to do it and got this for ALL vehicles......

We cannot confirm availability of this vehicle for your selected dates online.

Please send us a no obligation inquiry

hmmmmm???????:confused: I will try another date just to see what it says.

Ok, i think i figured out what to do....

I was saying that i was picking it up and returning it the same day and thats what it was saying so i changed it to returning it the next day and i got prices.....

????

Archived