Whitepass Railway a must?

mouse0217

We will be in Skagway June 6th, 2012. We are already doing a 7 hour private tour with Kevin (Becky's son form Beyond Skagway) .... we have the option of being dropped off at the Fraser station and taking the train back down after the tour, but it limits how far we can go exploring on land to be able to make it back to the station on time.

Would you skip the train to be able to explore more things on foot or is the Whitepass Train a must?

Thanks in advance. =)

We loved the train, but only you can decide what's best for you. The scenery is spectacular and as Budget Queen has said on this Board, you do get different scenery from the train. Coming back down into Skagway we did have spectacular views of the port and the ship but we were fortunate to have a clear day.

We are skipping the train. I don't want to worry about having to meet the train while on an excursion - where I am there to enjoy the scenery. I think seeing the train from the road will be enough for us.

(Caveat - we are taking Amtrak up to Vancouver & back to Seattle - so we will have enough train time.;))

If I were to do the train - personally I'd prefer the "up" trip rather than the "down" trip anyway.

We will be in Skagway June 6th, 2012. We are already doing a 7 hour private tour with Kevin (Becky's son form Beyond Skagway) .... we have the option of being dropped off at the Fraser station and taking the train back down after the tour, but it limits how far we can go exploring on land to be able to make it back to the station on time.

Would you skip the train to be able to explore more things on foot or is the Whitepass Train a must?

Thanks in advance. =)

You will see a lot of the same stuff with Becky that you will on the train. The road follows the tracks at certain points. We toured with Becky and didn't feel that we missed out by not taking the train!

Thanks in advance. =)

We found it to be spectacular, the journey and the scenery, just to experience all this amazing trip offers, we had many many many highlights, the WPR was one of the memorable ones, commentary is very good, lovley little pot belly stoves to keep you warm, and paper towel to de-mist the windows..LOL, Each to their own, to us is was money well spent ! Enjoy your trip, would love to go back one day !

Cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...

OP which ship are you on? We are in skagway same day :-) We are meeting friends who are taking us on a private tour. They are driving in from the Youkon. I have not seen them since I was 17...27 years ago, growing up in a small town in Nova Scotia. This is the second time they have met up with old friends in Skagway....going to be an absolutly fantastic day..one of many on a beautiful honeymoon cruise tourwith princess (7 days on land plus the cruise)

Some of the above have not done the train and Klondike Highway. You're also not listing- what "less" you current tour involves? Certainly you can get to BOTH the Emerald Lake turn around, both options? What else are you referring to? Were you going to Whitehorse?

There is little comparism between the train and Klondike Highway. You also have LITTLE view of the two from each other, only a couple miles are common. Scenery from the train is the "authentic" White Pass. The Klondike Highway went in in the 70's. Scenery is superior from the White Pass RR. But certainly the train is not for everyone. You need to decide this. IF there is any interest in the history, engineering- narrow gage, then the train indeed is a must. If budget is more of a concern- then maybe not? It certainly is an excellent tour to consider.

Archived